[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Adaptec converter cards and the mac...

delingma@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (08/30/90)

I recently saw a message posted somewhere that mentioned an Adaptec
controller card that allowed one to convert up to 2 RLL drives for use
with a SCSI setup. Has anyone tried this type of thing with a Mac?
How much does it cost? Where can I get one (or even just more info on it)?

Any Tips are appreciated (I have an RLL 20 Meg drive, and I would REALLY like
to use it on my Mac...)

Thanks
Dan Lingman   (delingma@thunder.lakeheadu.ca)

QUIT

joe@cbnews.att.com (Joseph Judge) (09/02/90)

	The Mac expects *one* drive per SCSI ID. A board can have only one
	ID. So, you can only hang one drive off of one board for the Mac.

	Adaptec (and tons of other places) make SCSI/ST506 boards that
	can do the RLL. Just make sure that your drive can handle it
	(a lot of newer drives can, I think. The docs should say.)

	If not, get a board that does MFM.

	See my previous posting (posted 5 mins ago) about doing this homebrew
	hardrive thing.

	I've been thinking about SCSI drivers these days... there has to be
	a way to hang an extra drive off of the board and get to it from the
	Mac. Hmmmm... too much work :(

	Joseph Judge		joe@cblpf.att.com

delingma@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:
> I recently saw a message posted somewhere that mentioned an Adaptec
> controller card that allowed one to convert up to 2 RLL drives for use
> with a SCSI setup. Has anyone tried this type of thing with a Mac?
> How much does it cost? Where can I get one (or even just more info on it)?
>
> Any Tips are appreciated (I have an RLL 20 Meg drive, and I would REALLY like
> to use it on my Mac...)

heynneman@einstn.enet.dec.com (Al Heynneman) (09/06/90)

I run an Adaptec 4000A controller with TWO ST225 drives, and a 4070 with an RLL
ST238 on
my MacXL, using Software Architects driver.  They're located in Washington, if
memory
serves me correctly.

Cheers, Al
70110.611@compuserve.com

emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) (09/14/90)

joe@cbnews.att.com (Joseph Judge) writes:

>       The Mac expects *one* drive per SCSI ID. A board can have only one
>       ID. So, you can only hang one drive off of one board for the Mac.

What's interesting about this, Joe, is that my SCSI ID #3 is a dual-drive
IOmega Bernoulli Box 2, and it runs both drives just fine.

Just my $0.02....
--
------------
Mark Hartman

michelr@xstor.UUCP (Michel Rynderman) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep14.050047.2323@dhw68k.cts.com> emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) writes:
>joe@cbnews.att.com (Joseph Judge) writes:
>
>>       The Mac expects *one* drive per SCSI ID. A board can have only one
>>       ID. So, you can only hang one drive off of one board for the Mac.
>
>What's interesting about this, Joe, is that my SCSI ID #3 is a dual-drive
>IOmega Bernoulli Box 2, and it runs both drives just fine.
>
>Just my $0.02....
>--
>Mark Hartman

According to SCSI there can be 8 devices per scsi id. All have the same id
but their logical unit numbers that are specified in the command allow up to
8 devices. Some drives support this, some don't. The one controller card on
the main drive handles the commands for all the drives.

Michel Rynderman
Storage Dimensions, Inc.
uunet!xstor!michelr