[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Cabling question?

billh@alpha.la.locus.com (Bill Heiden) (09/20/90)

Hi,

 This may not be the correct group to pose this question on, but I'm sure
that someone out there probably has an answer.

 Does anyone know of a type of cable that could support both network com-
munications and video signals.  Is there an easy way to filter out the
video signal from the network communications?

*********************
*  Bill Heiden      *    Locus probably doesn't agree with me.
*  Locus Computing  *
*  Inglewood, Ca    *
*********************

lerman@stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) (09/21/90)

In article <17445@oolong.la.locus.com> billh@alpha.la.locus.com (Bill  Heiden) writes:
>[...]
> Does anyone know of a type of cable that could support both network com-
>munications and video signals.  Is there an easy way to filter out the
>video signal from the network communications?
[...]

Yup, its called broadband (as contrasted to baseband).  Your local
cable TV people use it for video, but you can use it to mix video and
data.  You get umpty-ump (a technical term) 6 MHz wide channels which
you can use for most anything you want.  A number of vendors make
modems which you can connect to it to give you multiple independent
parallel networks.  It has a second advantage that it can work over a
much larger area than ethernet.  Over a city, if you like.  Its major
disadvantages are that it requires some engineering and that it
requires a centralized "head end" and amplifiers to repeat signals.

Ken