[comp.sys.mac.hardware] RAM for a Mac + and monitor

CHARLES.BOOS@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (CHARLES BOOS) (09/18/90)

I am thinking of installing 4 Mb of RAM into my mac + but I have heard
that the power supply for the plus hasn't been updated since well before
the 528 was introduced resulting in an increased risk of burning out the
power supply.  I have already had to replace my power supply once because
of this burnout and I am worried that 4Mb would be too much of a strain on
my current unit.  Also, I was considering a portrait monitor(with
accelerator card) and I am worried about the power supply still.  Does
anyone have a similar configuration and if you do what problems do you
note?  Let me know as I can get the SIMM's and the monitor relatively
cheap but I don't need recurring repair bills and down time.  Thanks.

                                                Charlie

--
CHARLES BOOS via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!CHARLES.BOOS

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (09/19/90)

CHARLES BOOS writes in a message on 17 Sep 90:

CB>  I am thinking of installing 4 Mb of RAM into my mac + but I
CB>  have heard that the power supply for the plus hasn't been updated
CB>  since well before the 528 was introduced resulting in an increased
CB>  risk of burning out the power supply.  I have already had to
CB>  replace my power supply once because of this burnout and I am
CB>  worried that 4Mb would be too much of a strain on  my current
CB>  unit.  Also, I was considering a portrait monitor(with accelerator
CB>  card) and I am worried about the power supply still.  Does anyone
CB>  have a similar configuration and if you do what problems do
CB>  you note?  Let me know as I can get the SIMM's and the monitor
CB>  relatively cheap but I don't need recurring repair bills and
CB>  down time.  Thanks. ...

I have 4 megs in my Plus, and have had no problems.  I've used a Kensington
System Saver Mac since I bought the machine two years ago, and I also leave
the machine on all the time to alleviate the power and thermal stresses on the
analog board (don't know if it _really_ helps, but that's how I do it anyway).
 Word has it that:

a)  yes, the Plus analog board _has_ been beefed up since its introduction (when
it was basically the same as a 128K analog board), and

b)  newer, bigger RAM chips actually draw less power than the ones Apple installed
at the factory.  So power draw and heat would be less.

I hope someone can confirm the above.

And the opinion I've gotten from what I've read is, don't accelerate--just buy
a newer, faster machine.  Accelerators don't always work like you'd think they
should.  For example, the TSI accelerator boards don't work with Jasmine hard
drives.  Little niggling things like that will bother you forever.  Just buy
an LC or whatever.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

lex@philica.ica.philips.nl (Lex van Sonderen) (09/20/90)

In article <71349.26F6CEFC@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> CHARLES BOOS writes:

>I am thinking of installing 4 Mb of RAM into my mac + but I have heard

I installed 4Mb in my Plus one year ago and had only problems since.
It had a internal 20Mb HD for 3 years, which draws power from the Mac
and without a fan! It was very reliable (no complaints whatsoever) until
I upgraded to 4Mb when problems started: the Mac becomes very hot, suddenly
stops working, does not start-up until cooled down. It usually restarts
when it tries to access the floppy, so when it needs extra power.
Removing the back of the housing solves all this, which suggests that
extra cooling would solve it.
I have now removed the HD and try to work with a 4Mb Plus, but it has only
slightly improved (a sudden restart after 2 hours instead of 30 min).

I will try a fan now and if that fails I'll buy another machine.

Lex van Sonderen
lex@philica.philips.com

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (09/21/90)

In article <71349.26F6CEFC@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> CHARLES.BOOS@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (CHARLES BOOS) writes:
>I am thinking of installing 4 Mb of RAM into my mac + but I have heard
>that the power supply for the plus hasn't been updated since well before
>the 528 was introduced resulting in an increased risk of burning out the
>power supply.  I have already had to replace my power supply once because
>of this burnout and I am worried that 4Mb would be too much of a strain on
>my current unit.  Also, I was considering a portrait monitor(with
>accelerator card) and I am worried about the power supply still.  Does
>anyone have a similar configuration and if you do what problems do you
>note?  Let me know as I can get the SIMM's and the monitor relatively
>cheap but I don't need recurring repair bills and down time.  Thanks.
>
>                                                Charlie

------------ Clip and Save ------------ Clip and Save ------------

The power supplies on the 128K Macs were worthless; the power supplies
on the Mac Pluses has been improved to almost marginal.  I've had a
Mac for six years and have had the power supply replaced three times
so far; I understand this is about average.  So go ahead and
upgrade--you'll be glad you did, when System 7 comes out--and your
power supply is going to burn out again, whether you upgrade or not.

For power supply burnout, you can have a brand new marginal power
supply installed by your Apple dealer for about $145 parts, $40-80
labor.  Or you can upgrade the power supply yourself, much more
cheaply, and get a decent quality power supply in the bargain.  Here's
what you need:

An upgrade/repair kit for Plus/512K/128K analog board, $51, from

	Soft Solutions
	907 River Road, Suite #98
	Eugene, OR 97404

	Phone 503/461/1136
	Fax 503/461/2005

The kit has the flyback transformer and various capacitors and things,
but it doesn't have instructions.  For those you need "Macintosh
Repair & Upgrade Secrets" by Larry Pina ($35 at Walden Books, $27 from
MacWarehouse, 1-800-ALL-MACS).  You also need: a soldering pencil and
a multimeter, both available cheaply from Radio Shack; and a torx
wrench and case cracker (which you need anyway to install 4MB RAM),
available from MacWarehouse for, I think, $8).

This repair/upgrade is said to be easy, requiring little more than the
ability to use a soldering pencil.  It doesn't take an EE or other
hardware-type person.  I admit haven't tried it myself, since I found
out about it AFTER my last $220 repair, but I did talk a friend into
going this route when his power supply died last month, and it went
well for him.

If you are not a do-it-yourselfer, Soft Solutions will do the upgrade
for you, for a flat fee of $115, and they claim a 72-hour turnaround.
Other places can be found to do this even more cheaply, I believe, but
you have to do some hunting.

later you'll want these addresses and phone numbers.

-- Disclaimer:  I'm just a user.  What do I know? --

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
< You can put a mouse on an IBM.  And you can put a radio on a motorcycle. >

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (09/21/90)

|>I am thinking of installing 4 Mb of RAM into my mac + but I have heard
|>that the power supply for the plus hasn't been updated since well before
|>the 528 was introduced resulting in an increased risk of burning out the
|>power supply.  I have already had to replace my power supply once because
|>of this burnout and I am worried that 4Mb would be too much of a strain on
|>my current unit.  Also, I was considering a portrait monitor(with
|>accelerator card) and I am worried about the power supply still.  Does
|>anyone have a similar configuration and if you do what problems do you
|>note?  Let me know as I can get the SIMM's and the monitor relatively
|>                                                Charlie
| ------------ Clip and Save ------------ Clip and Save ------------
|
| The power supplies on the 128K Macs were worthless; the power supplies
| on the Mac Pluses has been improved to almost marginal.  I've had a
| Mac for six years and have had the power supply replaced three times
| so far; I understand this is about average.  So go ahead and
| upgrade--you'll be glad you did, when System 7 comes out--and your
| power supply is going to burn out again, whether you upgrade or not.
|
| For power supply burnout, you can have a brand new marginal power
| supply installed by your Apple dealer for about $145 parts, $40-80
| labor.  Or you can upgrade the power supply yourself, much more
| cheaply, and get a decent quality power supply in the bargain.  Here's

  Just to add another data point: I have an original Mac that has morphed
into a 2048KE + SCSI yet the power supply hasn't failed yet. The only
preventative action has been to install a fan inside the case (done when it
went to a Fat Mac) but it doesn't appear to do a good job of cooling. It's
just your average Radio Shack fan attatched to the inside of the case (in
"front" of the upper left vent slats) with all-purpose porpoise goop. It
doesn't really do much to blow air _out_ of the case but rather seems to
create currents inside it. I assume a MacFanny (or whatever it is that fits
into the carrying handle) would do a much better job. After attatching the
Dove upgrade, I _did_ make sure the voltage coming out of the analog stuff
was within the specified range (in the upgrade instructions.) Could this be
significant... Now remember that upgrading a Plus *REPLACES* (usually) the
SIMMs you have with ones that are likely less power hungry. Mine has
additional chips...
  Just to give a perspective of how crowded the internals are, the Dove
512->2MB upgrade is a board roughly the size of the mother board populated
with RAM chips that attatches to the mother board to make a sandwich like
arrrangement. Then you add the SCSI board which attatches in the ROM
sockets and takes up MORE space. Yet it goes on... Am I just really really
lucky???
  If my power supply should ever die, I'd be the first to seek out a third
party kit to do it myself. But is the high failure rate of Plus analog
boards just cruddy circuit design (it must at least be partially) or lack
of circulation in the case?
--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| A fanatic is one who sticks to
|   U    | - Ackphtth               | loaded or not.

brindle (Jack Brindle) (09/22/90)

In article <15050@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:

>The power supplies on the 128K Macs were worthless; the power supplies
>on the Mac Pluses has been improved to almost marginal.  I've had a
>Mac for six years and have had the power supply replaced three times
>so far; I understand this is about average.  So go ahead and

Interesting. My original Macintosh has been upgraded to the 512KE level. I
bought in in early February 1984. It still has the original clock battery
(still keeping correct time). It also has its original, unmodified, power
supply board. I understand from talking with many people that this is not
all that unusual. It appears that a few bad apples (sorry :-)) caused a lot
of publicity. In fairness, however, I have worked on my Plus and 512K
machines to make sure their power supplies did not fail. Both started to
show the wobbles. Beefing up the connections to the yoke connectors took
care of the problem.

The very early 128K Macs apparently had good power supplies. Apparently
some problems were introduced with the usual cost reductions. Why else
would later Macs show problems that the early Macs do not?

I hope my current IIci gives me as few problems as the original 128K!

- Jack Brindle

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep20.223007.24779@d.cs.okstate.edu> minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes:
>|>I am thinking of installing 4 Mb of RAM into my mac + but I have heard
>|>that the power supply for the plus hasn't been updated since well before
[...]
>|>power supply.  I have already had to replace my power supply once because
>|>of this burnout and I am worried that 4Mb would be too much of a strain on
[...]
>| ------------ Clip and Save ------------ Clip and Save ------------
>|
>| The power supplies on the 128K Macs were worthless; the power supplies
>| on the Mac Pluses has been improved to almost marginal.  I've had a
>| Mac for six years and have had the power supply replaced three times
>| so far; I understand this is about average.  So go ahead and

I have a 6 year old Mac 128 --> Mac 512 --> Mac 512ke --> MacRescue 4meg.

>| For power supply burnout, you can have a brand new marginal power
>| supply installed by your Apple dealer for about $145 parts, $40-80
>| labor.  Or you can upgrade the power supply yourself, much more
>| cheaply, and get a decent quality power supply in the bargain.  Here's

Probably *very* true, but maybe not necessary with a little preventative
maintenance.

>into the carrying handle) would do a much better job. After attatching the
>Dove upgrade, I _did_ make sure the voltage coming out of the analog stuff
>was within the specified range (in the upgrade instructions.) Could this be

Exactly. My preventative maintenance point #1. My 128 --> 512 and
512 --> 512ke upgrades were performed by an dealer that I *know* has
an extremely well qualified service staff (Computer Plus, Sunnyvale, CA)
who I am confident does such checks, and who also ran burn-in memory
checks after the upgrades.

>  If my power supply should ever die, I'd be the first to seek out a third
>party kit to do it myself. But is the high failure rate of Plus analog
>boards just cruddy circuit design (it must at least be partially) or lack
>of circulation in the case?

You bet, me too.

>--
>|_    /| | Robert Minich            |

My preventative tip #2:

The pins on the analog board into which the harness plugs are known
to develop cold solder joints over time. If you know how to solder
reflow all these solder joints to eliminate the cold solder joints.

The pins on the CPU board for the same wiring harnes have the same potential.
Do it there also.

The pins connecting the flyback transformer to the analog board also.

Preventative tip #3:

The wiring harness connecting the analog board to the CPU board
uses crimp connectors. I found these to have become loose. Use a
pointed object to depress the clip holding the crimp connector
in the plastic shell. Carefully remove the crimp connector and
recrimp or solder it. Do this one crimp connector at a time to
avoid losing the proper order. Check and fix both ends.

After you put it all back together, *check the voltage again*.

I had a half-volt difference between the 5 volts on the CPU board
and the 5 volts on the analog board before doing this resoldering!
Not after.

I had an annoying *flicker* at the top of my screen before doing
this. Gone now.

My 2 cents.

Good Luck,

	jim
--
Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6115
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

davisson@milton.u.washington.edu (Gordon Davisson) (09/22/90)

In article <71349.26F6CEFC@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>
CHARLES.BOOS@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (CHARLES BOOS) writes:
>I am thinking of installing 4 Mb of RAM into my mac + but I have heard
>that the power supply for the plus hasn't been updated since well before
>the 528 was introduced resulting in an increased risk of burning out the
>power supply.  I have already had to replace my power supply once because
>of this burnout and I am worried that 4Mb would be too much of a strain on
>my current unit.

The Mac Plus power supply has its flakinesses, but it's not nearly as
bad as its reputation suggests.  Most "power supply failures" are
actually video failures, but since the video circuitry is on the power
supply board, the power supply gets blamed.  Even if the 1MB SIMMs used
a little more power, which they don't, the supply has some capacity in
reserve.

>Also, I was considering a portrait monitor(with
>accelerator card) and I am worried about the power supply still.  Does
>anyone have a similar configuration and if you do what problems do you
>note?  Let me know as I can get the SIMM's and the monitor relatively
>cheap but I don't need recurring repair bills and down time.  Thanks.

This will use significantly more power, but most such setups come with
an auxiliary power supply to run the extra logic.

--
Gordon Davisson
Westwind Computing	(206) 632-8141

davisson@milton.u.washington.edu (Gordon Davisson) (09/22/90)

In article <670@philica.ica.philips.nl> lex@leest.ica.philips.nl
(Lex van Sonderen) writes:
>I installed 4Mb in my Plus one year ago and had only problems since.
>It had a internal 20Mb HD for 3 years, which draws power from the Mac
>and without a fan! It was very reliable (no complaints whatsoever) until
>I upgraded to 4Mb when problems started: the Mac becomes very hot, suddenly
>stops working, does not start-up until cooled down. It usually restarts
>when it tries to access the floppy, so when it needs extra power.
>Removing the back of the housing solves all this, which suggests that
>extra cooling would solve it.
>I have now removed the HD and try to work with a 4Mb Plus, but it has only
>slightly improved (a sudden restart after 2 hours instead of 30 min).

Sounds to me like you have a bad connection on the cable that carries
power to the motherboard.  The most likely suspect is the +5V line (the
blue wire in the cable that runs from the middle of the analog to the
motherboard, in position 6 where the polarizing gap is position 2).
Probably the contacts have corroded and/or lost their spring.  There's
no need to replace the mac because of a problem like this; if you can't
fix it yourself and don't know any local component-level repair shops,
send it to Soft Solutions (call 503-461-1136).