[comp.sys.mac.hardware] When SCSI R/W CDs for the Mac?

]) (09/12/90)

So, as I think about archives and backups and the cost-per-megabyte of
storage media and speed of access and reliability of media, the thought
comes to me that a R/W CD drive as a SCSI device would be wonderful.
Unless I'm totally out of it (again! :-) , the NeXT uses such a drive
as its primary storage medium, though perhaps not as an internal SCSI
device, but with some other interface.

Anybody heard any rumors along these lines?  I'd sure leap at it unless
the base unit was fiercely expensive.

...Kris
--
Kristopher Stephens, | (408-746-6047) | krs@uts.amdahl.com | KC6DFS
Amdahl Corporation   |                |                    |

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (09/12/90)

In article <bddn02bzc7Uc01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> krs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kris Stephens [Hail Eris!]) writes:
>So, as I think about archives and backups and the cost-per-megabyte of
>storage media and speed of access and reliability of media, the thought
>comes to me that a R/W CD drive as a SCSI device would be wonderful.
>Unless I'm totally out of it (again! :-) , the NeXT uses such a drive
>as its primary storage medium, though perhaps not as an internal SCSI
>device, but with some other interface.
>
>Anybody heard any rumors along these lines?  I'd sure leap at it unless
>the base unit was fiercely expensive.

Sure lots of people are selling such devices, I have one on my desk.
They don't read/write actual CDs (neither does the NeXT) they are normally
called 'read-write magneto-optical'. As a rule they have slower seek
times than 'traditional' hard drives and are 'fiercely expensive'.
Media is a double sided cartridge with 256Mb-1Gb per side.

I work for SuperMac which sells a RW optical called 'LaserFrame'.

	Paul Campbell

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
What most people don't realize is that those plastic cover slips that your 3

blood@aludra.usc.edu (Brian Blood) (09/23/90)

From blood Sun Sep 23 04:11:47 1990
To: /home/chaph9/blood/.article

I think the best thing I have seen is the Pinnacle Micro 3.5" 128 MB Optical
drive. Claimed access time of 28 ms from a 3.5" platter. That is cool.
Base unit is @$3000 and extra disks are 128  $128. A dollar a MB
that's prety good.
.s