[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Death of Quantum 105

hawley@adobe.COM (Steve Hawley) (09/21/90)

A friend of mine has a Quantum 105 drive that he had connected internally to
his Mac II.  It started acting flakey and was eventually diagnosed as having a
shot controller board.

Since the actual drive mechanism is still good, the drive can be revived by
replacing the controller.

What is he most cost-effective way of doing this?

Is there someone with a head crash who wants to part with their controller?

Steve Hawley
hawley@adobe.com
--
"I can always telephone, but I can't tell it much."
	-Roy Blount

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (09/23/90)

In article <6647@adobe.UUCP> hawley@adobe.UUCP (Steve Hawley) writes:

>A friend of mine has a Quantum 105 drive that he had connected internally to
>his Mac II.  It started acting flakey and was eventually diagnosed as having a
>shot controller board.
>
>Since the actual drive mechanism is still good, the drive can be revived by
>replacing the controller.
>
>What is he most cost-effective way of doing this?
>
>Is there someone with a head crash who wants to part with their controller?

Hold on a minute! Don't those drives come with a 5 year warranty?

The 105's haven't even been out that long. The most "cost effective" thing
would be to get in touch with whoever sold it to him (if possible). You might
be able to take care of the whole thing without it costing much of anything
(except maybe some shipping charges).

I wish I had a Q105! :-)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM