[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Wrong mouse??

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) (09/20/90)

A friend bought a fancy optical mouse for his Mac Plus 1MB, only to find
that his mouse was hooked to the printer port via an 8-pin DIN connection,
while the new optical mouse has 4 pins with a plastic "key" needing to fit
in a corresponding hole. Is there any hope of making the new mouse work on
the Mac +?

	Steven

--
Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.

emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) (09/24/90)

In article <6153@uceng.UC.EDU>,
schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:

>A friend bought a fancy optical mouse for his Mac Plus 1MB, only to find
>that his mouse was hooked to the printer port via an 8-pin DIN connection,
>while the new optical mouse has 4 pins with a plastic "key" needing to fit
>in a corresponding hole. Is there any hope of making the new mouse work on
>the Mac +?

Nope - what your friend has is an ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) mouse, and the
Mac Plus doesn't and never will (according to Apple) speak ADB.

My recommendation - keep the mouse, get a new Mac, but wait until October
15... (funny, they made everybody _else_ there sign non-disclosure forms;
I wonder why they didn't ask me to?)

Best regards
--
Mark Hartman