[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Dead color MAC-II monitor SUMMARY

mt@cleo.cs.wisc.edu (Manolis Tsangaris) (09/25/90)

A few days ago I posted an article about my MAC-II color monitor troubles.
I have received a lot of repsonses, and I thank you all. I include here
a summary of the responses so others with similar problem can benefit...

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
SYSTEM:   MAC-II, 13 inch Apple high resolution color monitor
SYMPTOMS: After about 15-20 minutes of operation the monitor shuts itself off.
Turning the monitor power switch OFF and the ON, will let the monitor
work for a while, but soon it will die again.

DIAGNOSIS: From most of the answer it appears that this problem has to do with
a broken HI VOLTAGE CUTOFF capacitor (or resistor assembly, according to SONY).
It is a big red capacitor located at the bottom of the monitor. It connects
to the high voltage line from the flyback transformer and feeds the monitor
anode lead. It also connects to the main board using a two wire cable.

CURE:      If this is really the problem, just order part# 910-0058 from Apple
($80 approx) or part# 1-230-666-21 from Sony ($51).
           NEXT, see also a weird cure, that did not work in my case.

A summary of the replies follows. Again, thanks to all of you that replied.
I will let you know if $51 were enough to fix the monitor.....

--mt (Manolis Tsangaris)

From: daveytw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Tom Davey)
To: mt
Subject: monitor troubles

Hi,
I just had the same problem as you described last week.
It turned out to be the large capacitor in the monitor that
refreshes the screen. To have the capacitor replaced cost
me $180... $100 for the capacitor itself and $80 for the labor.
Hope it works out cheaper for you! :-)
-tom davey
From: daveytw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Tom Davey)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 90 13:14:48 -0500
To: mt
Subject: Re: monitor troubles

Hi again,
OK here it is... It's the High Voltage capacitor at the
bottom of the monitor. It's contained in a red box.
Typically, after 20 minutes or so it charges up and then
the monitor shuts off. The Apple part number is:
910-0058
Good luck!
-tom davey
From: William G. Innanen <wgi@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu>
To: mt
Subject: Wierd Monitor Fix

Manolis,
        Here's a wierd (no warranty) way of getting your Apple
Monitor going again.  I've had similar problems both at home (a
lot!) and at work (few).  My usual solution was to shut down and
try again later (tomorrow?).  This is not always satisfactory.
        Anyway, my daughter called one day to say that the monitor
had gone out, and what should she do now?  My son (college age
hacker) got on the other extension and gave the following
instructions:
        1. Turn the MONITOR power switch off (leave Mac on)
        2. Place the palm of your hand, fingers outstreched
           on the screen [see, I told you it was weird :-)]
        3. Turn the monitor back on with our other hand.
        4. After some static crackles, the monitor works fine.
That is the weirdest fix I've ever tried, but it has worked every
time we've needed it.  Must have something to do with grounding
out the static charge (?).
                        Good luck,
                        Bill Innanen
                        Internet: wgi@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
p.s. Let me know if it works??

From: malczews%sal-sun61.usc.edu@usc.edu (Frank Malczewski)
To: mt
Subject: Re: HELP! Crazy (?) Mac II Color Monitor

This is another one of those Apple things, along the lines of the Mac Plus
power supply.  It happens a lot, but Apple will never say anything about it
except "pay up".

It has to be a hardware problem; something to do with reaching a particular
threshold, and then going beyond it in order to proceed.

Mine has been doing it for quite some time; mostly it's merely annoying,
but occaisionally it's very hard to surpass that threshold and be able to do
anything usefull, but normally it only takes a couple of tries.

Anyway, a possible ploy: take it to another Apple dealer and try to get it
covered under AppleCare ($60/year + inspection cost).

I've had mine covered since day one, but since I've normally been able to
use it after some point, I've not taken it in.  Also, since it's a sporadically
occuring problem, they would likely just say that they couldn't get it to
occur.  I will wait until early next year, when I no longer need it daily, or
until it finally dies, whichever comes first.

If you do find out the exact problem, I would very much like to know.  Ignore
any responses that might say something about jiggling the power cord, as that
is not the problem.  I think it's a problem within the monitor itself - a
cold solder joint, or something to do with the power supply system.  Don't know
what...

--

-- Frank Malczewski             (malczews@nunki.usc.edu)
From: cckweiss@castor.ucdavis.edu
To: mt
Subject: dead apple color monitors

I had my 13" RGB Apple monitor die in exactly the way you describe.
Fortunately, it was under extended warranty, so the dealer just fixed
it (Heath/Zenith Computers). I asked what they had done, and got a
cryptic reply of "We resoldered the loose joints."

So, maybe do a close visual of all the solder connections on the power
supply board...

Good luck!

Ken Weiss
cckweiss@castor.ucdavis.edu
From: well!cbm@apple.com (Chris Muir)
To: mt

It sounds like the cutoff capacitor. It happened to a friends monitor.
I watched a repairman change one in about ten minutes.

Chris Muir                              |   "There is no language in our
cbm@well.sf.ca.us                       |    lungs to tell the world just
{hplabs,pacbell,ucbvax,apple}!well!cbm  |    how we feel"  - A. Partridge
From: well!cbm@apple.com (Chris Muir)
To: mt
Subject: Cutoff Cap

Yep, the large red rectangular thing with the suction cup to the tube.

Good luck getting the part, and don't forget to discharge that sucker
before changing it.

From: glennc@cobalt.cco.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Smith)
To: mt

I've got the same problem, but not as drastic.  My monitor will just
shut off at random sometimes.  I just turn off the power in the
back, wait 5 seconds, turn it on, and then it works again.  I have
my mac on maybe 10 hours a day.  Some days it dies alot, some days
not at all.  It seems quite random.  I have no idea what causes it.

If you find out, I'd love to hear what's up!

In complete sympathy,
Glenn Smith

Glenn C. Smith                      |   It is a weak mind that can think
California Institute of Technology  |   of only one way to spell a word.
glennc@arrester.caltech.edu         | --- "Build high for happiness." ---

dhoyt@vw.acs.umn.edu (09/25/90)

In article <mt.654214030@cleo>, mt@cleo.cs.wisc.edu (Manolis Tsangaris) writes...
>From: William G. Innanen <wgi@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu>
>To: mt
>Subject: Wierd Monitor Fix
>        1. Turn the MONITOR power switch off (leave Mac on)
>        2. Place the palm of your hand, fingers outstreched
>           on the screen [see, I told you it was weird :-)]
>        3. Turn the monitor back on with our other hand.
>        4. After some static crackles, the monitor works fine.
  You might want to look into one of the anti-low frequency radiation, glare
screens for your monitor.  These will have a ground drain to reduce static
build up as well as (or as a result of) blocking the lfr.

david paul hoyt | dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu | dhoyt@umnacvx.bitnet