[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Info on UPS for Mac IIci

generous@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Curtis Generous) (09/18/90)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good UPS for a Mac system?
My requirements are that I need only about 10 min backup capability
for my Mac IIci (8Mb, 100Mb, Apple Hi-Res).  The box should also have
some good built-in noise suppression (and lightning protection) as I live
in an area with very poor power regulation (in the last 12 months, storms
have destroyed one tv and a stereo receiver!).

I can't seem to find any reviews in any of the magazines I have.
Any information is appreciated.

--curtis		 generous@dev.dtic.dla.mil / uunet!dev!generous

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (09/19/90)

In article <3800@dev.dtic.dla.mil> generous@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Curtis Generous) writes:
>Does anyone have any recommendations for a good UPS for a Mac system?
>My requirements are that I need only about 10 min backup capability
>for my Mac IIci (8Mb, 100Mb, Apple Hi-Res).  The box should also have
>some good built-in noise suppression (and lightning protection) as I live
>in an area with very poor power regulation (in the last 12 months, storms
>have destroyed one tv and a stereo receiver!).

Try the Kensington Power Backer 330 or 450.  These are quality units
made by American Power Conversion.  The only difference is the
Kennsington label and you can get them MUCH cheaper via mail order. I
picked up my 450 for $330 from MacWarehouse as opposed to $499 normal list
price.  I have my IIcx, monitor, external hard disk, and CD-ROM all
plugged into it and there was no trouble going about 5 minutes.
I'm sure it would go longer, but I didn't wait.  It kicks in on the
slightest glitch without even a noticeable interruption on the Mac.
When not backing up, it's silent and does contain filtering/surge
supression.

	Andy Peterman
	treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com

Disclaimer:  No connections with the above companies.

mikek@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mike Kranzdorf) (09/19/90)

In article <544@treehouse.UUCP> andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) writes:
>In article <3800@dev.dtic.dla.mil> generous@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Curtis Generous) writes:
>>Does anyone have any recommendations for a good UPS for a Mac system?
>>My requirements are that I need only about 10 min backup capability
>>for my Mac IIci (8Mb, 100Mb, Apple Hi-Res).  The box should also have
>
>Try the Kensington Power Backer 330 or 450.  These are quality units
>made by American Power Conversion.  The only difference is the
>Kennsington label and you can get them MUCH cheaper via mail order. I
>picked up my 450 for $330 from MacWarehouse as opposed to $499 normal list
>price.  I have my IIcx, monitor, external hard disk, and CD-ROM all
>plugged into it and there was no trouble going about 5 minutes.
>I'm sure it would go longer, but I didn't wait.  It kicks in on the
>slightest glitch without even a noticeable interruption on the Mac.
>When not backing up, it's silent and does contain filtering/surge
>supression.
>
>	Andy Peterman
>	treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com

Kensington units may be cheaper through standard mail order, but list
prices are the same. And APC units are actually cheaper to the reseller
so you should be able to get an APC for the same price or cheaper if
you ask around. The advantage of getting an APC labeled unit is that
there are better models available than from Kensington. For example,
APC sells a 370i with very new technology inside (faster switching times
and brown-out protection). This unit is not available from Kensington.
For bigger systems, APC sells the 600LS (which I have) that also has
no equivalent from Kensington. Also, APC has an 800 number and technical
know-how on site. The number is (800) 541-8896. They will send you a
notebook full of technical info and spec sheets if you ask.

--mikek

internet: mikek@boulder.colorado.edu
uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!mikek
AppleLink: oblio

pato@apollo.HP.COM (Joe Pato) (09/26/90)

I recently purchased an APC 370ci from MacConnection for $295 and have
been very happy with it.

                    -- Joe Pato
                       Cooperative Object Computing Operation
                       Hewlett-Packard Company