[net.columbia] This newsgroup

will@anasazi.UUCP (Will Fuller) (01/29/86)

I propose that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger.
--
William H. Fuller
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!will

coffin@mot.UUCP (Dracula) (01/29/86)

> I propose that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger.
> --
> William H. Fuller
> {decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!will

I second this proposal.

Chris Coffin
ihnp4!mot!coffin
ihnp4!mot!macs!chris

mike@dolqci.UUCP (01/30/86)

In article <505@mot.UUCP> coffin@mot.UUCP (Dracula) writes:

>> I propose that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger.
>> --
>I second this proposal.

	I agree. renaming the group net.challenger is the least we can
do to honor the crew and the program.  A side note: I heard on the news
(CNN) this morning that 2 different groups of people have already
started fund raising drives to get money towards replacing Challenger.
I don't have the addresses with me, but will try to post tomorrow or
Monday.  The public may not be able to raise the full 1.5 billion needed
to replace Challenger, but even if we could raise 100 to 200 million,
Congress would at least be backed more into a corner to provide the
remainder.

kucharsk@puff.UUCP (William Kucharski) (01/30/86)

In article <509@anasazi.UUCP>, will@anasazi.UUCP (Will Fuller) writes:

> I propose that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger.
> --
> William H. Fuller
> {decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!will

-Count mine as yet another vote for renaming this newsgroup.  net.challenger
would be infinitely appropriate.

	Bill Kucharski

cccmm@ucdavis.UUCP (Mei Su) (01/31/86)

> > I propose that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger.
> > --
> > William H. Fuller
> > {decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!will
>
> I second this proposal.
>
> Chris Coffin
> ihnp4!mot!coffin
> ihnp4!mot!macs!chris

		I agree.   We should not forget them.

					 Su

jlg@lanl.ARPA (01/31/86)

In article <377@dolqci.UUCP> mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) writes:
>	I agree. renaming the group net.challenger is the least we can
>do to honor the crew and the program.  A side note: I heard on the news
>(CNN) this morning that 2 different groups of people have already
>started fund raising drives to get money towards replacing Challenger.
>I don't have the addresses with me, but will try to post tomorrow or
>Monday.  The public may not be able to raise the full 1.5 billion needed
>to replace Challenger, but even if we could raise 100 to 200 million,
>Congress would at least be backed more into a corner to provide the
>remainder.

The estimated cost of a new orbiter is 2.2 billion.  CBS reported that
Challenger originally cost 1.2 billion.  The 2.2 billion figure is the
Rockwell estimate published in Wednesday's Wall Street Journal.  It was
also estimated that the replacement would take 2-4 years to complete
after the order was received.

J. Giles
Los Alamos

mas3619@wucec2.UUCP (Marc Andrew Sarrel) (01/31/86)

In article <505@mot.UUCP> coffin@mot.UUCP (Dracula) writes:

>> I propose that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger.
>> --
>> William H. Fuller
>> {decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!will
>
>I second this proposal.
>
>Chris Coffin
>ihnp4!mot!coffin
>ihnp4!mot!macs!chris

Add my vote!!
--
					-Marc

..!{seismo,cbosgd,ihnp4}!wucs!wucec2!mas3619

Marc Sarrel
6515 Wydown Blvd  Box 4481
St. Louis, MO  63105

The views expressed here are mine and not necessarily anyone else's.

ee178ado@sdcc7.UUCP (BRUCE BINDER) (01/31/86)

> > I propose that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger.
> I second this proposal.
I support this proposal.

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) (02/01/86)

> In article <509@anasazi.UUCP>, will@anasazi.UUCP (Will Fuller) writes:
> > I propose that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger.
> > William H. Fuller
>
>-Count mine as yet another vote for renaming this newsgroup.  net.challenger
> would be infinitely appropriate.
> 	Bill Kucharski

I don't know about infinitely appropriate, but I rather favor the idea.  Not
only would it commemorate the 8 heroes involved (if you will permit me to
personnify the Challenger itself), but it would end the endless questions
about whether this group is about Columbia University, the country of
Columbia, or the Columbia River...

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

This space dedicated to Challenger and her crew,
Francis R. Scobee, Michael J. Smith, Ellison S. Onizuka, Judith Resnik,
Ronand E. McNair, Gregory B. Jarvis, and Crista McAuliffe.

"...and slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God."

halb@tekig5.UUCP (Hal Bates) (02/05/86)

In article <247@sdcc7.UUCP> ee178ado@sdcc7.UUCP (BRUCE BINDER) writes:
>> > I propose that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger.
>> I second this proposal.
>I support this proposal.

If we rename this group, it should be net.shuttle.

msk@we53.UUCP (msk) (02/08/86)

> I propose that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger.
> --
> William H. Fuller
> {decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!will

Sounds real good!
(Note the addition of net.news.group to the newsgroup list;
 that's where this type of discussion is supposed to go (I think.).)

Morrie Kahn
...!ihnp4!we53!msk

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (02/14/86)

> In article <509@anasazi.UUCP>, will@anasazi.UUCP (Will Fuller) writes:
> >

> > I propose that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger.
> > --
> > William H. Fuller
> > {decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!will
>
> -Count mine as yet another vote for renaming this newsgroup.  net.challenger
> would be infinitely appropriate.
>
> 	Bill Kucharski

[]
   Please count my vote also for renaming the newsgroup to net.challenger.
Since netland is only accessed by comparatively few people, and we haven't
much in the way to display memorials, I think it would be a fitting tribute.
Maybe once a month or so a repeated article could be posted explaining to
newcomers to the net the memorial significance of the new name?

--
     Adrian Zannin
     SUNY at Buffalo Computer Science

..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin
CSNET:    ugzannin@Buffalo.CSNET
ARPANET:  ugzannin%Buffalo@csnet-relay.ARPA
BITNET:   ugzannin@sunybcs.BITNET