[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Slots

gilmore@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Larry Gilmore) (09/28/90)

In Message-ID: <DAN.90Sep27150240@s3sol.scubed>
   Date: 27 Sep 90 22:02:40 GMT
Dan Peterka writes:

>Speaking of slots - how many of you have ever seen someone use more
>than 3 slots? Enough to make it worth Apple's while to sell a big box
>like the IIx and IIfx? Seems like an Nubus expansion cabinet concept
>would be a better idea to reduce manufacturing and inventory costs -
>or does this only make sense to non-marketing types?

We have a IIx supplied by Symbolics with their Lisp-engine MacIvory
system.  The Symbolics card set only has one card-edge connector, but
uses a piggy-back board that covers another slot.  There is also an
Intel extended memory board that is used by the MacIvory (8 Mbyte, in
addition to the 5 for the Motorola chip), an EtherNet card, and a
color video controller.  The last might be omitted if smaller screen/
fewer colors were acceptable, but we are running 24 bit on a Radius
19".  This setup uses 5 slot spaces.  An extension chassis could be
a solution if Symbolics supported it; also the system is desired to
be as easily shippable (is that really a word ?) as possible.

Larry Gilmore gilmore@venice.sedd.trw.com