[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Cheap 300dpi printer for Mac by mailorder???

arun@ac.dal.ca (09/18/90)

I was interested in order an HP Deskwriter printer, or any other 300dpi inkjet
or laserprinter in that price range. Could somone please tell me the best
printer to buy for the Mac plus for personal, home use with the best
compatibilty with most software and ability to run with ATM.

What is the cheapest price at which they can be obtained by mailorder? What is
the shortcomings of these printers as compared to Apple printers.

Thank You very much for your assistance...

                  >>>ARUN MATHUR<<<
       Dalhousie University Medical School
         Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

dapron@hpsmpa.HP.COM (Mike Dapron) (09/25/90)

I have been VERY pleased with my HP DeskWriter (OK I work for HP, but
notice I still bought a Mac).  Unfortunately, I have no real experience
with other printers.

The DeskWriter has done everything I've wanted it to do, and the price
was certainly right.  BTW, HP's employee discount isn't much better
than mailorder prices.

I keep seeing mailorder houses offering bundles with the DeskWriter and
ATM.  I haven't bought ATM yet because I'm waiting to see what
System 7.0 has to offer (...and waiting...and waiting...).

The key problem I see with the DeskWriter is its water-soluble ink; not
good for someone with drooling dogs (like me).  I would not recommend
the HP LaserJet IIP because the driver software for the Mac might not
let you take full advantage of its features (I could be wrong here, but
I had some frustrating experiences with trying to get the Mac to talk
to a DeskJet Plus using MacPrint software).

I notice that Apple has announced its new personal LaserWriter at a
more personal price.  You might want to check on price/performance
here.  It might be a good deal!?!

As unbiased an opinion as I can give.

Mike Dapron
HP Colorado Surface Mount Center

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (09/28/90)

In article <17540001@hpsmpa.HP.COM> dapron@hpsmpa.HP.COM (Mike Dapron) writes:
>I keep seeing mailorder houses offering bundles with the DeskWriter and
>ATM.  I haven't bought ATM yet because I'm waiting to see what
>System 7.0 has to offer (...and waiting...and waiting...).

You may want to go ahead and just buy it. They've just come out with version
2.0, which renders fonts two times faster than the original. I've been using
this product with my DeskWriter (2278A) and have had no problems at all. In
addition, you should expect no conflicts with 7.0 (when it eventually sees the
light of day) since they've already said that it will be compatible.

>The key problem I see with the DeskWriter is its water-soluble ink; not
>good for someone with drooling dogs (like me).

Well, I don't know if you've been watching the internal product announcements,
but the DJ 500 was supposed to be introduced at the same time as an improved
ink for the Desk* series. I can't say that if it will survive a drooling dog,
but the measure that they used was the highlighting of text.

Regards,

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *

robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) (09/28/90)

> The key problem I see with the DeskWriter is its water-soluble ink; not
> good for someone with drooling dogs (like me). ...

Note that HP is now shipping DeskWriter/DeskJet Plus/DeskJet 500/DeskJet
"Classic" cartridges with a new "more" water resistant ink.  It's not
perfect, but is !much! improved (it's considerably more smudge/water
resistant than dot matrix - yes, dot matrix smudges and runs, too - but
not quite as good as a laser - but then, the ink doesn't come off the page
when put in a plastic binder like toner does).  It'll be tough to get the
new cartridges for a couple of months though - the new cartridges share the
same part number as the old, so dealers will have to sell out of "old"
cartridges before they can get new ones.  One of the new ones does come in
the box with the DeskJet 500 (but not the DeskWriter).

bob taylor
HP Vancouver (and therefore obviously biased)

cook@hpmtlx.HP.COM ($Steve_Cook) (09/28/90)

>/ hpmtlx:comp.sys.mac.hardware / dapron@hpsmpa.HP.COM (Mike Dapron) / 10:16 am  Sep 25, 1990 /
>I have been VERY pleased with my HP DeskWriter (OK I work for HP, but
>notice I still bought a Mac).  Unfortunately, I have no real experience
>with other printers.
>
>The DeskWriter has done everything I've wanted it to do, and the price
>was certainly right.  BTW, HP's employee discount isn't much better
>than mailorder prices.
>
>The key problem I see with the DeskWriter is its water-soluble ink; not
>good for someone with drooling dogs (like me).
>
>Mike Dapron
>HP Colorado Surface Mount Center

	HP has announced that it has a new water resistant ink cartridge
	available for the Deskwriter.  These will find their way to
	market by November or October.  If you buy the Deskwriter, you
	should get the new water resistant ink with the bundled system.