[net.columbia] Television coverage and censorship in Canada

snell@utzoo.UUCP (Richard Snell) (02/15/86)

Clayton Cramer ( cramer@kontron.UUCP), in a followup to a statement
(in net.columbia) to the effect that governmental censorship
of the media in Canada is equivalent to media censorship in the USSR,
writes (in net.columbia):

>What about that guy the Canadian Government sent to prison for publishing
>the claim that the Holocaust didn't happen?  Two years in prison, I believe
>was the sentence.  If that isn't political censorship, what is?

Hmmm. Perhaps. Hate censorship is a better way to put it.

The individual refered to is doubtless Ernst Zundel, a rabid neo-Nazi
who lives in Canada but is not a Canadian, and who has stated publicly
and repeatedly that
1. Hitler remains one of his heroes.
2. There is an international Jewish conspiracy, etc.
3. The Holocaust is a Jewish lie, etc.
This Zundel has repeatedly published anti-semitic hate literature
and supports and is financially supported by
a variety of neo-Nazi groups.  He was jailed because actively inciting hatred
against any identifiable group in Canada is illegal.
(Zundel may be deported after his release from prison.)

It is certainly not clear to this reader why such an example equates the
censorship of the media in Canada to the USSR.  As other submissions have
indicated, there is no such equivalence.

This IS getting REALLY off topic (this stuff is in net.columbia???).  I have
posted this to net.politics, as well.  Please send any followups there.
Thanks.
--
Name:   Richard Snell
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto