[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 32-bit clean ROMs

sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m) (09/27/90)

Will my SE/30 ever have the possibility to upgrade the ROMs in order
to get 32-bit clean?

/Lars Sundstrom

| Lars Sundstrom, Lund University, Department of Applied Electronics, |
| Box 118, S-221 00 Lund, Sweden Phone: +46-46121598 Fax:+46-46129948 |
| Internet: sund@tde.lth.se                                           |

dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dan Schwarz) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep27.104044.9207@lth.se> sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m) writes:
>Will my SE/30 ever have the possibility to upgrade the ROMs in order
>to get 32-bit clean?
>
>/Lars Sundstrom

Well, the possibility does exist. This has been bounced around at Apple for
some time, as I understand it... there have been compatibility test products
for developers which consist of a special 32-bit clean Mac OS and 32-bit clean
ROMs... this is to enable people with Mac //x and //cx machines to make their
systems 32-bit clean, and thus test their programs for compatibility. They
do NOT have 32-bit clean ROMs for the Mac // (which has ROM chips, not SIMMs)
or the Mac SE/30 (which could accept the 32-bit clean SIMMs, but currently
the SIMMs are big PROMs, not surface mount chips, and an SE/30 so upgraded
could not possibly fit back into its case.

So Apple does have the technology to update everyone's Mac // series machines
to be 32-bit clean, should they desire to do so. The major problem? If you
put in new ROMs, they've got to do something with the old ones. They could
have a problem like they did with the Mac Plus - dealers would do upgrades
then sell the old ROMs to Atari and Amiga owners, who were very happy to
put them in their Magic Sac, Spectre GCR, etc... Macintosh emulators.

The last thing Apple wants is a black market for Mac II series ROMs.
So they've got to work out some kind of "security" to insure the old ROMs
are kept in their hands.

-Dan

--
| Same as it ever was  | Dan Schwarz, MB 2926 Brandeis U. | RECYCLE YOUR JUNK|
| Same as it ever was  | I'NET dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  |------------------|

jhp@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Petrangleo) (09/29/90)

>In article <1990Sep27.104044.9207@lth.se> sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m) writes:
>>Will my SE/30 ever have the possibility to upgrade the ROMs in order
>>to get 32-bit clean?

Does that mean that until Apple does make new ROMS for my SE/30, the system
software will not be 32-bit clean?  I cannot run in a 32-bit clean environment
until Apple makes new ROMS available?

                John P.

sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep28.174222.15993@wpi.WPI.EDU> jhp@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Petrangleo) writes:
   Does that mean that until Apple does make new ROMS for my SE/30, the system
   software will not be 32-bit clean?  I cannot run in a 32-bit clean environment
   until Apple makes new ROMS available?

		   John P.

No and No. I got a reply on my original posting that said that Apple
already have the ROMs. The problem is that if they start offering
upgrades they will probably create and second-hand-ROMs market for
Amiga friends and clone makers.

teener@apple.com (Michael Teener) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep27.184812.22612@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dan Schwarz) writes:
>So Apple does have the technology to update everyone's Mac // series machines
>to be 32-bit clean, should they desire to do so. The major problem? If you
>put in new ROMs, they've got to do something with the old ones. They could
>have a problem like they did with the Mac Plus - dealers would do upgrades
>then sell the old ROMs to Atari and Amiga owners, who were very happy to

Apple insists that the old ROMs are returned to Apple.  Apple bills the
dealer a *lot* of money for each unreturned ROM.  The two old Mac+ ROMs
are worth more than a new Mac+.

---- Michael Teener -- 408-974-3521 ---------------------------------+
---- Internet teener@apple.com, AppleLink TEENER                     |
---- Apple may know my opinions, but *I* am responsible for them     |
Transportation by Cheetah N9900U, a loyal beast for the past 7.5 years.

sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m) (10/02/90)

In article <10519@goofy.Apple.COM> teener@apple.com (Michael Teener) writes:
   Apple insists that the old ROMs are returned to Apple.  Apple bills the
   dealer a *lot* of money for each unreturned ROM.  The two old Mac+ ROMs
   are worth more than a new Mac+.

Fine, what are we waiting for? Is it system 7.0 which partly could
reside in the unused space of the ROMs?