[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Outbound opinions?

sritacco@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Steve Ritacco) (09/27/90)

I've been considering an Outbound, and would like some general
opinions about it.  I saw the machine at the Macworld Expo, and
was quite taken by it.  So, what does everyone else think.
I know that the 40 Meg hard drive model lists for $3999, but
what is a good price, and where is a good place to purchase one.
I live in Boise Idaho, so I won't be able to buy one locally, how
about mail order?

Thanks

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (09/28/90)

In article <15590006@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> sritacco@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Steve Ritacco) writes:
>I've been considering an Outbound, and would like some general
>opinions about it.  I saw the machine at the Macworld Expo, and
>was quite taken by it.  So, what does everyone else think.

I just used one at a local Apple dealer...boy, that IsoPoint would drive
me insane.  The screen seemed fairly evil, as well.

chaz

       "I Am The Reincarnation of Abraham Lincoln", Insists Prince.
                 			 -spew
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

matsu@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (MATSUOKA Satoshi) (10/03/90)

In article <2296@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
 >In article <15590006@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> sritacco@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Steve Ritacco) writes:
 >>I've been considering an Outbound, and would like some general
 >>opinions about it.  I saw the machine at the Macworld Expo, and
 >>was quite taken by it.  So, what does everyone else think.
 >
 >I just used one at a local Apple dealer...boy, that IsoPoint would drive
 >me insane.  The screen seemed fairly evil, as well.

I am a happy user of one of the first Outbounds shipped here in Japan,
and I would have to disagree. I use a variety of Macs (IIcx + Apple
TPD, SE/30 + RasterOps 264, etc.) and Sparcs, so I am speaking in fair
comparison to 68020/30 systems and workstations.

The details of the product is essentially as what has been reported in
various trade magazines.

As for my personal opinions.

1. The Isopoint, initially is awkward to use. However, after a day of
practice, you get pretty much used to it ( I used it on a shakey
Shinkansen ride for two hours.) Of course, on a desktop you can always
attach a mouse to the infra-red cordless keyboard.

2. The screen, which is backlit, is one of the best on a portable
machine I have seen so far, in comparison to the portable MS-DOS
machines. In a connected configuration with a Mac Plus, you get two
adjacent screens, one on the Outbound and one on the Plus; in that
situation, the Outbound screen gives as much clarity and contrast as
the Plus screen. Furthermore, I made the measurements and I assume
that the resolution to be 75 to 80 dpi; the small shrink factor is
much less than what the Radius FPD-SE/30 combination our secretary is
now using.

3. I have not used the HD model yet; rather, I have opted for the FD
model, and loaded the machine with 16 Mb (4 Mb SIMM x 4) of silicone
disk. Although 16Mb is not big, I can fit most of my daily
applications into it. At work I immediately connect it to an
Appleshare and AUFS fileserver.

The manual says that the silicone disk lasts for a month
under a fully charged battery; even if the machine automatically
shuts-off under a empty-battery condition, the remaining charge in the
battery will keep the disk alive for 24 hours. After that, there is a
small lithium battery which lasts for 24hours as a last resort (it is
also used in the event of battery swaps.)

What have impressed me is that the silicone disk is almost crash-free.
I first experienced several system errors due to misbehaving INITs,
but even after a VERY bad crash, the disk remained OK. (This is not the
case for normal Mac HDs as all we know.) Overall, they do a very good job
of managing power.

4. The performance of the system is quite acceptable, compared to
68020/30 Macs. Although it is half as fast compared to a Mac II, in
practice it is very usable. This is partially due to the fact that
silicone disk access is blindingly fast, and compensates for the CPU
speed. In the years I have used Macs, I never realized I had been
losing so much of the time reading/writing disks.

5. Under the connected mode, all the devices on Outbound except the
CPU, ROM/RAM, screen, HD, Silicone disk, and the floppy goes inactive.
The devices on the Mac Plus or SE is used instead. This includes the
Keyboard, Mouse, Appletalk, etc.  In this situation, the Outbound
becomes essentially a very compact accelerator+screen extender+2nd
storage. Of course, once you detach it, they become active again.

6. There are minor incompatibilities for applications that seem to
access the devices directly. For those applications, they tend to work
under the connected mode. For most everyday applications, everything
seems to work fine. (including MS-Word, MacDrawII, Canvas, HyperCard,
NCSA Telnet, eXodus, Allegro Common LISP, etc. Most INITs run fine,
too.)

7. The size is A4, although it is a little thick. The weight is just
about the level where it is not a torture to carry around on a crowded
train. I would very much recommend getting the very-nicely desinged
optional carrying case, though (I am talking about the engineering,
not its looks; after all, it is not a Hermes or Fendi!). The tilting
base is very well designed, too; it sort of pops out of the bottom 1/3
of the case.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend the Outbound as a very
well-built extension to Mac Plus/SE, giving you an accelerator, 2nd
screen, ultra-fast external drive, and an almost FDHD compatible
floppy in a nice small package, for an affordable price. Here in
Japan, it costs just about the same as an SE/30; so for a person who
already owns a Plus/SE, it is a good option to buying a new Mac. As a
matter of a fact, a colleague of mine bought one along with me, and he
says that it was a very good decision to buy it instead of a SE/30.
Everyone else I had the opportunity to demonstrate sayid that they
were impressed, and they would like to obtain it if possible.

In addition, you get a Macintosh portable for free! What more can you
ask? (OK, I admit this is the best part.)

-+-  / \  +-------+	-+-+- /  \		Satoshi Matsuoka
/|\ / 	\ |  \ /  |	 +-+   /		Research Faculty
 |   	  | --+-- |	 +-+  /__\		Dept. of Information Science
 |   /    | |_|_| |	-+-+-  			The University of Tokyo

E-mail:	matsu@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Physical mail: 7-3-1 Bunkyo-ku, Hongo, Tokyo, Japan 113
Office: +81-3-812-2111 ex. 4108 (8:30-18:00 JST)
Direct line to lab., automatically switches audio/fax: +81-3-5689-4365