[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Squealing CMS Hard drive

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (09/25/90)

I have a CMS 60 meg hard drive (Segate), circa 1988 which has recently begun
emitting a most UNBEARABLE noise. It still seems to work just fine, but about
30 minutes after I have turned it on, it emits this high pitch squeal that is
almost impossible to work with. I removed the casing, turned it on, and let it
go until it started squealing. Then, after turning it off, stopped the fan with
my hand and the noise continued. It is, apparently, as much as I can tell by
putting my ear to it, within the enclosed hard drive itself. The clincher,
however, is that if I turn it off and then turn it right back on again, it's
fine for another 30 minutes or so before it begins again.

I've not noticed ANY problems with its performance (it's always been slow! :-))
and there hasn't been any loss of data. I'm wary of turning it on and off every
half hour of use, but the noise is simply too high pitched to stand while
working.

Has anybody ever seen anything like this? Is there an easy and cheap way for ME
to fix it? Or has something come loose? It hasn't always done this, but began
early in the summer. Do I need to take it in? It's NOT intermittent-it always
happens-but sometimes it takes 20 minutes and other times it takes 45. Any
suggestions?

Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST

finnegan@dhw68k.cts.com (Greg Finnegan) (09/29/90)

NOTE: This is not a manufacturer recommended solution :-)

I had the same problem with my old Seagate 65 and my current
Quantum 105.  I just whap the side of my machine when it gets
too intollerable!

Seriously, a friend of mine (who, incidently, used to work at
CMS) says that this happens to many of those Seagate drives - he
says its some kind of harmonic with the drive spindle.

--

uucp: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!finnegan
InterNet: finnegan@dhw68k.cts.com

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Sep28.213039.9485@dhw68k.cts.com> finnegan@dhw68k.cts.com (Greg Finnegan) writes:

>NOTE: This is not a manufacturer recommended solution :-)
>
>I had the same problem with my old Seagate 65 and my current
>Quantum 105.  I just whap the side of my machine when it gets
>too intollerable!
>
>Seriously, a friend of mine (who, incidently, used to work at
>CMS) says that this happens to many of those Seagate drives - he
>says its some kind of harmonic with the drive spindle.

I have had similar noise problems, and have been told that there is a small
piece of metal that contacts the bottom of the spindle on the controller side
to help further discharge static. This metal can contact, and thus generate
some painful noise, if the lubricant wears off. The solution suggested was
to pry back the metal and all would be fine. I have received reports that
this has worked in other cases.

I don't know what you could do to replace the lubricant, but since the metal's
use is for added protection, perhaps its removal is not of serious importance.

Regards,

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *