[comp.sys.mac.hardware] weird harddisk problem

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (10/03/90)

[ I sent this out last week, but apparently it went wrong, so here goes again ]

I hope someone can help me with a harddisk problem I have. I have one of the
original Mac's, now upgraded to a 1MB MacPlus, and a 21MB Qisk harddisk (a
Rodime I think)

During a backup of my harddisk, HFS Backup (2.0) failed to read one of my files
(after 80% of the backup had be done naturally!). I investigated and found
that:
        I could NOT duplicate the file using the "file" menu's "duplicate"
        option (Finder 6.0b5, System (4.2a3)
but:
        I could execute the file (the file was ResEdit)
        I could StuffIt (1.20) into an archive
        I could read it with FEdit (1.0.7)

The file-duplicate issued the message 'The file "ResEdit" couldn't be written
and was skipped (disk error) <Cancel> <Continue>' and the system hangs (mouse
frozen, keyboard inactive).

I removed some unnecessary stuff from the harddisk and successfully made a
backup, then I started investigating. I used Disk Express (1.06) to clean up and
reorganise the disk, created more data on the disk and looked for files that
could not be duplicated. This time the problem was a text file, but I could edit
the file, StuffIt still worked, and I could still read it with FEdit. Mmmmmmmmm!

I did notice that there was a discernible "plonk" from the harddisk when FEdit
read the file, and further investigations with FEdit reading the volume I found
two areas of the disk which "plonk", sectors 1122-1155 and 37422-37455. The
second of these areas were always associated with the faulty files (I tried
various combinations of files).

I don't think that the problem is associated with writing the file, I think it
is when I read the file. Don't forget the problem first arose when backing up
the harddisk. Also FEdit could find only one copy of the file on the disk (at,
or around sector 37422-37455). Further I could create new files (with a editor
etc.).

Erasing, reformatting and certifying the disk has made no difference. Disk
Express can't find any fault. Are there any other utilities that would be of any
use? Has anyone had similar problems? Has anyone got an idea? Help!

Paul Wood        | UUCP Mail:  paul@ukpoit.co.uk   | iT: The Information
iT (Unix Group)  | Bang-Style: ...!ukc!ukpoit!paul |     Technology Business
Barker Lane      | Voice:      +44 246 214256      |     of the UK Post 0ffice
Chesterfield     | FAX:        +44 246 214353      |
England  S40 1DY | Postline:   5403 4256           | Who me? I didn't say that!

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (10/04/90)

In article <1488@ukpoit.co.uk> paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) writes:
>        I could NOT duplicate the file using the "file" menu's "duplicate"
>        option (Finder 6.0b5, System (4.2a3)
>but:
>        I could execute the file (the file was ResEdit)
>        I could StuffIt (1.20) into an archive
>        I could read it with FEdit (1.0.7)
>
>The file-duplicate issued the message 'The file "ResEdit" couldn't be written
>and was skipped (disk error) <Cancel> <Continue>' and the system hangs (mouse
>frozen, keyboard inactive).

Well, these two statements seem consistent enough since executing, Stuffing,
and readying have absolutely nothing to do with writing (as the Finder error
suggests is the problem).

>I removed some unnecessary stuff from the harddisk and successfully made a
>backup, then I started investigating. I used Disk Express (1.06) to clean up &
>reorganise the disk, created more data on the disk and looked for files that
>could not be duplicated. This time the problem was a text file, but I could edit
>the file, StuffIt still worked, and I could still read it with FEdit. Mmmmmmmmm!

First, I would suggest you update your DiskExpress II (v 2.04 is available on
Sumex), although this probably doesn't have much bearing on the problem.

Second, it looks as though you're having more trouble reading and writing
sectors (as you mention, there are certain blocks that exhibit more problems)
rather than just certain files.  Chances are that you should do a low-level
format and then check the drive for bad sectors.

>Erasing, reformatting and certifying the disk has made no difference. Disk
>Express can't find any fault.

Well, DiskExpress isn't designed to diagnose HD problems. If you used the
"Erase Disk" option of the Finder and the problem didn't clear up, don't get
nervous. Try using a different utility such as SilverLining (or the HDSC Setup
on your system disks) or whatever else you use. If you do a low-level format and
then check for bad sectors, you're likely to find the problem, if it's actually
a physical fault in the drive.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *