[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Broken SIMM socket

meldal@bach.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (10/02/90)

A friend of mine has gotten himself into such an embarassing fix, he
wants me to post this query (remaining anonymous himself):

The scenario:
He installed SIMMs into his MacIIcx. For good reasons, he then wanted to
remove them again. In doing so, he broke one of the retaining clips on
one of the SIMM sockets, with the result that attempts at installing
SIMMs in that socket again are unsuccessful - the SIMM will not click
in place.

What should this poor person do, or where can he find someone to fix
this - or does it entail a full motherboard change?

Best regards,

Sigurd Meldal

(My MacII still has its full complement of SIMMs - this actually
is posted for somebody else.)

ERL 456, CSL                 meldal@anna.stanford.edu
Stanford University          sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no
Stanford CA 94305            meldal@shasta.stanford.edu

carl@doctor.Tymnet.COM (Carl Baltrunas) (10/04/90)

In article <158@bach.stanford.edu> meldal@bach.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) writes:

>A friend of mine has gotten himself into such an embarassing fix, he
>wants me to post this query (remaining anonymous himself):
>
>The scenario:
>He installed SIMMs into his MacIIcx. For good reasons, he then wanted to
>remove them again. In doing so, he broke one of the retaining clips on
>one of the SIMM sockets, with the result that attempts at installing
>SIMMs in that socket again are unsuccessful - the SIMM will not click
>in place.

One way (without having someone replace the clip, it must be possible to
do without a full logic board swap, but I wouldn't want my apple dealer
to do it...) is the extend the usefulness of the next prior SIMMs clip.

<<<<< direction SIMM wants to go to be released from the socket <<<<<

(good)     (good)     (good)    (broken)
  ::         ::         ::         ::
  ::         ::         ::+-------+::
  ::         ::         ::I       I::      Note: the etender (focus on the
  ::         ::         ::I       I::            area between the 4 +'s) is
  ::         ::         ::I       I::            a block of wood that passes
  ::         ::         ::+-------+::            the support from one of the
  ::         ::         ::         ::            good SIMM modules to the
  ::         ::         ::         ::            broken one.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::   I know, it happened to me! :-(
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Be careful that you don't break another clip in the process, but be sure
to keep the spacing and support on the SIMM accurate, else you'll have
intermittant memory problems caused by an ill-fitting SIMM in it's socket.

-Carl
(Gee was I embarassed when this happened to me! (red-faced smiley :-)
--
Carl A Baltrunas 408/922-6206|SMTP:carl@doctor.TYMNET.COM,carl@tymix.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet (Network Services) |UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!doctor!carl

c252-aj@katerina.uucp (Trevor I. Blumenau) (10/04/90)

Broken SIMM sockets are quite common.  I hope the manufacturers of
these sockets act soon to correct the problem.

For now, however, the best thing to do is avoid the problem altogether:
I once worked in a lab where I had to debug a board with several
different memory configurations.  I had to remove and install SIMMs
about every 20 minutes.  I found that it is fairly easy to _install_ the
SIMM, but very difficult to _remove_ it.  If you push outward with your
thumbs or forefinger gently on the pieces that hold the SIMM vertical,
and at the
same time ease the SIMM forward, you'll find the job alot easier.
More pressure should be used outward on the vertical pieces than on the
SIMM itself.

I hope this saves someone from future hastles!

Trevor Blumenau
blumenau@cory.berkeley.edu
Trevor Blumenau

blumenau@cory.berkeley.edu or c252-aj@cordelia.berkeley.edu

mfn@cbnewsi.att.com (mark nettleingham) (10/05/90)

	OK, I'll admit it, I have a broken SIMM socket after
upgrading to 4 megs. So far my Mac+ seems to be working with the
SIMM held down only at one end.  However, I would like to replace
the defective socket.

	Someone had posted that SIMM sockets could be purchased
from Digi-Key (Or something like that) and indicated that before I
call I should have the measurements.  I have a catalog from the
company, and indeed there are several variations of SIMM sockets.
My question is:  Does anyone know the part number of the socket I
should order for the Mac+?

	Thanks
	Mark Nettleingham
	...!att!probe!markn