[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 2nd 3.5" internal hard disk for IIfx

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/05/90)

I've been offered a Quantum 105mb 3.5" hard drive which I would
like to place in my IIfx enclosure in the space where the 2nd floppy
would go.  (I've already got an Apple 160mb drive as internal drive 0.)
Can anyone tell me what extras pieces I need and where I can get 'em?

Thanks.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

gbr@cypress.UUCP ( PROM Design) (10/06/90)

In article <4350@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:
>I've been offered a Quantum 105mb 3.5" hard drive which I would
>like to place in my IIfx enclosure in the space where the 2nd floppy
>would go.  (I've already got an Apple 160mb drive as internal drive 0.)
>Can anyone tell me what extras pieces I need and where I can get 'em?
>
>Thanks.
>--
>Steve Dyer
>dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
>dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

I've done this myself; basically you need a standard hard-disk "Y" adapter
for the power (about $5 at reputable or bargain electronics stores) and
you need to make a scsi ribbon cable with three connectors, as opposed
to the two-ended one currently hooking up your internal hard disk. Parts
to make one of your own should be about $10; alternatively, you may try
spicing a female connector onto the existing cable and, if you have another
two-ended scsi ribbon cable, hook the extra hard disk to that. I've never
tried this and suspect it may cause noise problems, though.

Make sure you terminate only the last drive on the cable (terminating
resistors are on the drive controller card near the scsi connector in
single-inline-pin (SIP) packages). Then make sure both scsi ID's are
different; this is controlled on most Quantum mech's by a series of 3
jumpers. Usually all unjumpered is "0" and some counting scheme gives
the rest of the ID's.

As far as physical mounting, it's been mentioned on the net before that
the mechanism probably has screw holes in it so all you have to do is
drill the appropriate holes in the hard disk mounting bracket; but mine
is mounted with Velcro (TM)--wonderful stuff; no problems at all.

On a semi-related note, I'm getting depressed pricing the FDHD options
for my Mac II. Fry's electronics sells the raw mechanism for about $200,
but not the SWIM chip; and certified APPLE gougers (oops, dealers) want
$450-$500 to *replace* (not add to) my existing 800K mechanism with a
new one and add the new controller chip. So...

Does *anybody* have any idea how I can get my hands on a SWIM chip?
Does anybody have a broken II[xci] (or one going in for a IIfx upgrade) who
would be willing to part with (swap, trade, sell?) the SWIM chip? I
can't see how this would be illegal, but I suppose that for even
mentioning it I'll hear from APPLE corporate legal representatives
or some such....

glen rosendale		cypress semiconductor		gbr@cypress.uucp