[comp.sys.mac.hardware] MacII->fx upgrade: Memory Muncher??

pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Paul BIG-EARS Menon) (10/02/90)

hi,
  I have observed this on a MacIIfx which was upgraded from a MacII.
  The fx contains ..

	3 cards (1 Ethernet, 2 Display cards, all Apple),
	  right justified, ie away from the power supply.

	800k Floppy (Internal).

        Hard disk.

	4*4Mb Simms.

***PROBLEM***
	System takes up > 8Mb (via "About Finder").  What's going on?
	No change when switching twixt MultiFinder and Finder.
	Cache was off.

	This was also the case with the installation disk, which would
	be a reduced System (and not using MultiFinder).  The same disk
	(install) took ~427k System memory space on a IIci.

	Is System 6.05 ready for 4Mb Simms?
	Is the problem the memory (stuffed)?
	Is it hardware?

	I saw the same thing happen on the same machine with System 7.0a.

 ***************

Whats Up Doc?

    Paul Menon,
    Dept of Computer Science,
    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
    124 Latrobe Street,
    Melbourne 3001,
    Victoria, Australia.

pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU
PH:	+61 3 660 3209

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (10/03/90)

In article <3873@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Paul BIG-EARS Menon) writes:
>	4*4Mb Simms.
>
>***PROBLEM***
>	System takes up > 8Mb (via "About Finder").  What's going on?
>	No change when switching twixt MultiFinder and Finder.
>	Cache was off.

  The problem is that the system must be in 32-bit mode to use more than 8MB
real RAM or 14MB virtual RAM.

  Your options are (in order of which I prefer) :

  1) Get A/UX 2.0.  Then you can use all the memory, however it's expensive
and probably overkill.

  2) Wait for System 7, or if you're an Apple Partner run System 7.0a9.  You
have to go into the Memory control panel and turn on 32-bit addressing for
this to work.  It does work, trust me.

  3) Get a RAM disk program which is compatible with the extra RAM.  They
exist, but I don't know where you can find one.

  4)  Return the memory.

-- Mark Wilkins
   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

knoll@well.sf.ca.us (John Knoll) (10/03/90)

System 6.0.5 can address 8 Mb of ram directly.  While you can buy 4 Mb
simms, you will need to wait for system 7.0 to address it all.

The news is not all bad, however.  Connectix makes an INIT called MAXIMA
that allows you to use unused Nubus address space to break this limit.
For every empty slot, you can address one extra megabyte.  I have an FX
with 20 Mb, and a video board in the rightmost slot.  With MAXIMA, I can
use 13 Mb with system 6.0.5.

Hope this explains the weirdness.

emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) (10/07/90)

In article <3873@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>,
pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Paul BIG-EARS Menon) writes:

>  I have observed this on a MacIIfx which was upgraded from a MacII.
>        System takes up > 8Mb (via "About Finder").  What's going on?
>        No change when switching twixt MultiFinder and Finder.
>        Cache was off.
>        I saw the same thing happen on the same machine with System 7.0a.

If you have the Virtual Memory INIT installed, Paul, you will see this
happening; it's just how it works.

If this isn't the case, I'd suggest you reinstall from known-good original
disks.
--
Mark Hartman