[comp.sys.mac.hardware] problem with IIcx 1.44mb drives

baker-r@HPUXA.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Robert Baker) (10/01/90)

I'm the hardware support guy for a lab with 50 Mac IIcxs and my latest
problem is with 3 of 'em(#2,#11,#35) not recognizing SOME known good
disks.  You see, we do periodic restores to the hard drives with disks
and most of the macs are restorable from these known good disks only
these 3 have a problem.  They read most of the disks but they won't
recognize others.  The only way to get the disk out is manuallly.
Even the old restart and hold the mouse button down trick won't work.

This does not only happen with our backup disks but also with some of
our users disks.

any ideas / suggestions will be appreciated

          :::::::
_____ ::           :: ______________________________________________________
   ::    @@     @@    ::
        @  @   @  @          Robert Baker, Coordinator Computer Repair
 ::     @  @   @  @     ::
:   @@   @@     @@   @@   :  The Ohio State University
:  @@@@             @@@@  :
 ::  @@             @@  ::   Instruction and research Computer Center
       @@         @@

aoki@husc9.harvard.edu (Edwin Aoki) (10/02/90)

In article <CMM.0.88.654785141.baker-r@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu> baker-r@HPUXA.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Robert Baker) writes:
>They read most of the disks but they won't
>recognize others.  The only way to get the disk out is manuallly.
>
>any ideas / suggestions will be appreciated
>
> Robert Baker, Coordinator Computer Repair
> Instruction and research Computer Center
> baker-r@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu

It's been my experience that the SuperDrives (tm :) ) actually have trobule
reading disks created with earlier drives.  This problem apparently is a result
of the newer drives having (and needing) weaker magnetic fields to prevent
scrambling of data at close densities.  The 800K drives, which have stronger
magnetic fields, can not be read with the weaker magnetic field off of the
new drives.  On the other hand, since it appears that the machines are using
the same disks (or rather the same type of drive), this may not be your
problem...

=Edwin Aoki
=aoki@husc9.harvard.edu

- Std. disclaimers apply
COMING SOON! An all new signature! New! Improved! Cuts through mold and mildew!

TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu (10/09/90)

In article <CMM.0.88.654785141.baker-r@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, baker-r@HPUXA.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Robert Baker) writes:
> I'm the hardware support guy for a lab with 50 Mac IIcxs and my latest
> problem is with 3 of 'em(#2,#11,#35) not recognizing SOME known good
> disks.  You see, we do periodic restores to the hard drives with disks
..
> any ideas / suggestions will be appreciated

I have had the same problem with my CX at home. I took it apart and discovered
a *LOT* of dust in the box. (Nice design APPLE!) SO, I cleaned up the floppy
drive and then proceeded to close off all the air access holes & bottom so
that the floppy couldn't suck air through its inlet port.

The drive cleaning seemed to fix my problem for now. We'll have to see if it
stays fixed!

There was also a post a while back about the phase lock loop circuit being
defective on some drives. The old drive controller boards are green, the
new ones are blue.

Hope this helps.

Tony Jacobs
Center for Engineering Design