[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Serial safety; HD inteleave

macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) (09/21/90)

1)  Many articles have warned against plugging in/unpluggin ADB cables
while the Mac is on.  What about the modem cable?  I sometimes want to
unplug my modem cable from its line to a local mainframe and plug it
back in to the serial port of a PC (with null modem) for file transfer.
Is there a danger of hardware damage?

2)  Many articles discuss interleave re hard disk read/write speed (eg
MacPlus 3:1, SE 2:1, others 1:1).  None that I've read say
when/where/what establishes the interleave.  Is it done at disk format
time (with disks sold preformatted I've never needed to format a disk)?
by the device driver software?  In short, how do I find out if I have
the right interleave, and if not, change it?

Thanks in advance.
Don MacQueen
macq@miguel.llnl.gov

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep20.123824@miguel.llnl.gov> macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) writes:

>1)  Many articles have warned against plugging in/unpluggin ADB cables
>while the Mac is on.  What about the modem cable?  I sometimes want to
>unplug my modem cable from its line to a local mainframe and plug it
>back in to the serial port of a PC (with null modem) for file transfer.
>Is there a danger of hardware damage?

Been plugging/unplugging serial cables to/from PCs and Macs for years.  Never
had a single problem with it.  Only time I ever lost a serial port was when
lightening struck the phone line, hit the modem and into the serial port.
Luckily it stopped there.  Never heard a modem scream so in my life.
The modem was toast, but the serial port was fixed for $1.89.

>2)  Many articles discuss interleave re hard disk read/write speed (eg
>MacPlus 3:1, SE 2:1, others 1:1).  None that I've read say
>when/where/what establishes the interleave.  Is it done at disk format
>time (with disks sold preformatted I've never needed to format a disk)?
>by the device driver software?  In short, how do I find out if I have
>the right interleave, and if not, change it?

Interleave is set during the low level initialization.  There are typically
two types of formatting.  Low level which is done first, then the high level
which is specific to the operating system.
To look at/change the interleave you need a low level formatting program.
Your hard drive more than likely came with one that does this, but
it might not let you set or even see the interleave.   A good utility
for that is Silver Lining.

Does anyone know if Norton Utilities allows you to look at/change the
interleave without reformatting?

Charles

emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep25.042714.25505@ccu.umanitoba.ca>,
umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:

>Does anyone know if Norton Utilities allows you to look at/change the
>interleave without reformatting?

Generally speaking, this is not possible to do.  Interleaving describes
the number of sectors which are read out of the number that pass beneath
the r/w heads.  So, for example, an interleave of 1:3 takes three turns
of the disk to read the entire track.  Needless to say, the sectors are
positioned in a like manner; i.e., sector "1" and sector "2" have two
other physical sectors between them.

While I suppose you *could* change the interleave factor, the amount of
data shuffling you'd have to do to make it work properly really wouldn't
be worth the hassle.
--
------------
Mark Hartman

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Sep30.060736.28468@dhw68k.cts.com> emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) writes:
>In article <1990Sep25.042714.25505@ccu.umanitoba.ca>,
>umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know if Norton Utilities allows you to look at/change the
>>interleave without reformatting?
>
>Generally speaking, this is not possible to do.  Interleaving describes
>the number of sectors which are read out of the number that pass beneath
>the r/w heads.  So, for example, an interleave of 1:3 takes three turns
>of the disk to read the entire track.  Needless to say, the sectors are
>positioned in a like manner; i.e., sector "1" and sector "2" have two
>other physical sectors between them.
>
>While I suppose you *could* change the interleave factor, the amount of
>data shuffling you'd have to do to make it work properly really wouldn't
>be worth the hassle.

Of course its possible to do!  There are countless programs available for the
PC to do it!
What data shuffling are you talking about?  All you simply have to do is:
1) read the track into memory
2) reformat track to desired interleave
3) write data back to disk.

Which would be quicker and easier?  That or:
1) backing up drive <which you should do anyways before something like this>
2) reformat old drive
3) restore all the data.

Charles

rlwald@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Robert L. Wald) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Sep30.060736.28468@dhw68k.cts.com> emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) writes:
>In article <1990Sep25.042714.25505@ccu.umanitoba.ca>,
>umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know if Norton Utilities allows you to look at/change the
>>interleave without reformatting?
>
>Generally speaking, this is not possible to do.

  Actually, you can do this on a PC. There is a good package called
Spinrite II which does this. It reformats each track as it goes,
preserving the data and correcting any looming errors way before
the error correcting circuitry will break down over them. But
as far as I know, its not available for the Mac.

-Rob

"Its a good thing frogs can hop, or I'd be Gone With the Schwinn!"

rlwald@phoenix.princeton.edu

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct4.192735.8812@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:
>In article <1990Sep30.060736.28468@dhw68k.cts.com> emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) writes:
->In article <1990Sep25.042714.25505@ccu.umanitoba.ca>,
->umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:

-->Does anyone know if Norton Utilities allows you to look at/change the
-->interleave without reformatting?

->Generally speaking, this is not possible to do...

>Of course its possible to do!  There are countless programs available for the
>PC to do it!
>What data shuffling are you talking about?  All you simply have to do is:
>1) read the track into memory
>2) reformat track to desired interleave
>3) write data back to disk.

All very fine with an ST506 interface, but not generally doable with a SCSI
interface.  With most SCSI drives, you aren't even sure which sectors make
up a track.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

peter@hari.Viewlogic.COM (Peter Colby) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct4.192735.8812@ccu.umanitoba.ca>,
umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:
|> >While I suppose you *could* change the interleave factor, the amount
of
|> >data shuffling you'd have to do to make it work properly really
wouldn't
|> >be worth the hassle.
|>
|> Of course its possible to do!  There are countless programs available
for the
|> PC to do it!
|> What data shuffling are you talking about?  All you simply have to do
is:
|> 1) read the track into memory
|> 2) reformat track to desired interleave
|> 3) write data back to disk.

	Sigh! The PC ain`t SCSI. The PC runs generally standard ST506 interface
drives
which I suppose allow you to format on a track by track basis. SCSI
hides all the low
level access to the disk in the SCSI controller tied to the disk. For
every SCSI drive
(or SCSI controlled ST506 drive) I have ever seen or heard of,
formatting is an all or
nothing process. In fact, most of the (no longer very) new embeded SCSI
drives don't even
allow you to cheange the interleave at all. They do all sorts of fancy
stuff like force
1:1 interleave or special zone recording or whatever and hide it all in
the board stuck
to the drive. You don't even need to know your drive's geometry any
more!!
	Peter C

--
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)