[comp.sys.mac.hardware] using a typewriter as a printer

mbharrin@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Matthew Harrington) (10/10/90)

I have a Panasonic Electroic typewriter (model RK-T32) which
has the capability of being used as a printer.  The manual lists
the computers supported, but Macs aren't on the list.  However,
IIe's and IIc's are supported (not a Mac II, but the old Apples).
All I need is a box, purchased from Panasonic, to connect the
typewriter to the RS-232C port.
I don't want to go out and pay $100 dollars for this box if
it won't work with my mac.  I'd primarily use it for Word 4.0 and
Excel.  Does anyone know if it is possible to do this with a Mac?
Are there any problems in compatibility?  I once saw a printer
driver that you chose from the chooser menu that said "typewriter",
anyone familiar with it?  I think I saw it in connection with an
earlier version of Word.

thanks,

-Matt

--
Matthew B. Harrington                        Internet: matt@ucsd.edu
University of California at San Diego        Bitnet: MATT@UCSD

danforth@riacs.edu (Douglas G. Danforth) (10/10/90)

In <13121@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> mbharrin@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Matthew Harrington) writes:

>Are there any problems in compatibility?  I once saw a printer
>driver that you chose from the chooser menu that said "typewriter",
>anyone familiar with it?  I think I saw it in connection with an
>earlier version of Word.

>thanks,

>-Matt

     Sorry, this wont help you but WANG labs had a program that worked on
their printers which allowed you to type on your terminal and the printer
would type along with you in either direct or one line buffered mode.

--
Douglas G. Danforth   		    (danforth@riacs.edu)
Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science (RIACS)