[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Power Problems

johnim@euler.Berkeley.EDU (John Im) (10/01/90)

Okay.  This is my first time posting, so please excuse any and all
irregularities.

My problem is that there seems to be only one power line feeding all the rooms
(3 of them) in the section of the house I'm in.  What this means, is that
whenever a space heater is turned on, the line voltage drops.  I measured it
this weekend, with two space heaters on (in different rooms), and the line
voltage dropped by 15-20 V.  Surprisingly, my Mac was still functioning as
usual.  I had it printing a document and a few other things to see if
anything would be affected, but everything was fine.

So what's the problem, you ask?  Well, I'm wondering if this is causing any
undue strain on the power supply.  I'd sure hate to have to replace it (I just
bought the Mac this summer).

By the way, someone suggested I buy a UPS, but that is not an option.  Since
the heaters stay on for 5-15 min periods, depending on how cold it is, I'd run
down the battery on a 500VA UPS pretty fast.  Now, there are some with a
step-up transformer that will keep the voltage at a steady 120V, but they are
a bit out of my price range right now.

So can anyone tell me if this'll burn out my power supply or something?
Anyone from Apple out there?

Thanks.

- John

In article <28368@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> johnim@euler.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (John Im) writes:
>Okay.  This is my first time posting, so please excuse any and all
>irregularities.
>
>My problem is that there seems to be only one power line feeding all the rooms
>(3 of them) in the section of the house I'm in.  What this means, is that
>whenever a space heater is turned on, the line voltage drops.  I measured it
>this weekend, with two space heaters on (in different rooms), and the line
>voltage dropped by 15-20 V.  Surprisingly, my Mac was still functioning as
>usual.  I had it printing a document and a few other things to see if
>anything would be affected, but everything was fine.

Mac II power supply is rated from 90-170V (and another range around 220).
Check the specs on the mac model you have--- if it is similiar, you probably
don't have any problem. (Specs should be in the owners manual).

>By the way, someone suggested I buy a UPS, but that is not an option.  Since
>the heaters stay on for 5-15 min periods, depending on how cold it is, I'd run
>down the battery on a 500VA UPS pretty fast.  Now, there are some with a
>step-up transformer that will keep the voltage at a steady 120V, but they are
>a bit out of my price range right now.

Wouldn't a UPS (true UPS, not SPS) deplete more slowly if it was getting
power off the line?
(i.e. since a true UPS is always running off the battery, a drop in line
voltage would merely make it charge less efficiently).

esf00@uts.amdahl.com (Elliott S Frank) (10/12/90)

>In article <28368@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> johnim@euler.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP
>(John Im) writes:
>
>>By the way, someone suggested I buy a UPS, but that is not an option.  Since
>>the heaters stay on for 5-15 min periods, depending on how cold it is, I'd run
>>down the battery on a 500VA UPS pretty fast.  Now, there are some with a
>>step-up transformer that will keep the voltage at a steady 120V, but they are
>>a bit out of my price range right now.
>
>>So can anyone tell me if this'll burn out my power supply or something?
>>Anyone from Apple out there?

It's not a problem. I've been doing some reading on power supply design,
and most of your concerns *are* non-issues.

Modern switching-mode power supplies only draw current at the peak
(and valley) of the voltage cycle. If there's sufficient voltage for
the power supply to operate, it will be able to draw current. Your mac
is really looking for the 5v that comes out of the power supply, not
the crud that you are feeding the power supply.

If you've got a Plus (I deleted the orginal article), you do have a
problem, as the Plus has an analog supply instead of a switcher.
Poor line voltage regulation is not good for the health of the Plus'
power supply.

A UPS just puts some combination of battery, inverter, and switching
in from of the mac's powr plug. If the wall voltage is sufficient to
keep the battery charger operating, you won't be drawing down the UPS
battery. A UPS rated at 500 VA for 10 minutes will probably drive a
mac for longer than that, depending on your display. Take a look in
the new "Hardware Specifications ..." book -- I remember (dimly :-))
that all macs are under 200 VA rated. The highest current load is
drawn when the mac is turned on. After that, it's much less.

A voltage stabilizer is interesting, but given that all modern (post-Plus)
macs have switching-mode power supplies, it adds no real value. A surge
suppressor (the higher rated the better: there are surge suppressors
rated for 300 joule surges) is worthwhile insurance. If one of those
heaters has a chattering thermostat, it will probably toss spikes onto
the line with abandon. The best surge supressor that you can afford will
save you a visit or two to the repair shop over the winter.
--
Elliott Frank              ...!{uunet,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
                       or ....!esf00@amdahl.com

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]