[comp.sys.mac.hardware] RailGun Accelerators for SE

SR14@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (10/08/90)

Has anyone out there any experience of the RailGun 16 Mhz 68030 accelerator
for the SE?  Would like to know about ease of installation, compatibility,
and memory requirements.  Do other accelerators offer better price/performance?

Alan Boyle
Earth Sciences
University of Liverpool

johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl (Johan de Haas) (10/12/90)

In <90281.171027SR14@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> SR14@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:

>Has anyone out there any experience of the RailGun 16 Mhz 68030 accelerator
>for the SE?  Would like to know about ease of installation, compatibility,
>and memory requirements.  Do other accelerators offer better price/performance?

>Alan Boyle
>Earth Sciences
>University of Liverpool

I recently bought myself a Novy Quick30 accelerator (16Mhz) for my MacPlus.
Let me say I am really impressed with the speed of my accelerated Plus!
According to the people from Novy, MacProducts USA, which manufactures the
RailGun, has bought the technology from Novy, so they are basically the
same products.

The Quick30 comes with 4 SIMM slots that require 110ns or faster memory
for the 16 MHz version. If you should decide to leave some SIMM's on the
motherboard, they can be used as a RamDisk (through the Novy SoftWare).

The installation was easy (although it requires soldering in the MacPlus;
I believe this is not necessary for the SE. Sofar I have had no problems
with incompatibilities. The sound though has suffered.

Novy gives an educational discount of 15% which brought the price down
to $590,- I bought mine at Novy because I saw (here on USENET) a number
of people complaining about the bad product support from MacProducts USA.

Hope this is of help.

--
Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl
Lab. of Seismics & Acoustics             Delft University of Technology