[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Portrait Display problem

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (10/10/90)

I have an Apple Portrait Display (fancy name for A4/full page). The
general display quality is good, but there is a downward slope at the
top left of the screen*. It is still under waranty. The technician at
the shop replaced the video board in the screen, and claimed he couldn't
see a problem anyway. This doesn't look too bad - but it's annoying. Does
anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?
--
* horizontal lines come out looking like this:
    _______

ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (LaSota Daniel K) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct9.210021.24473@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes...
>I have an Apple Portrait Display (fancy name for A4/full page). The
>general display quality is good, but there is a downward slope at the
.
.
>anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?
>--
>* horizontal lines come out looking like this:
>    _______
>   /
> /
>/
>(though obviously not as bad).
>--
>Philip Machanick
>philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

Although I don't know what would cause this a friend of mine has the same
problem.  I also have a Portrait display and noticed a wicked squeal.
It is now being replaced.
Anyone else have problems witht he Portrait monitor?

Dan LaSota
ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu

goodill_eric@tandem.com (Eric Goodill) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct9.230536.6653@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>
ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (LaSota Daniel K) writes:

> Although I don't know what would cause this a friend of mine has the same
> problem.  I also have a Portrait display and noticed a wicked squeal.
> It is now being replaced.
> Anyone else have problems witht he Portrait monitor?

My portrait display has been quiet, but too has a downward slope on the
left side.  I went to an Apple dealer, and he tried to adjust it, but he
said everything he tried made it worse.  I thought about pursuing it
further, but the hassles involved were more than just living with it.  It
doesn't make the display unusable, it's just a noticable imperfection.  My
officemate has a portrait display also (from Apple), and his is just fine.
Some you win and some you loose.

Eric Goodill, goodill_eric@tandem.com
"Sucks Syntax"  -- John Haskey

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct10.155711.7580@tandem.com> goodill_eric@tandem.com
(Eric Goodill) writes:
> My portrait display has been quiet, but too has a downward slope on the
> left side.  I went to an Apple dealer, and he tried to adjust it, but he
> said everything he tried made it worse.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but try turning the monitor 90 degrees so
that it faces either the left or right side of your desk. If the problem
disappears, the problem is caused by an interaction with the Earth's
magnetic field, indicating that the monitor case is poorly shielded.

I think I've heard of a shielding spray you can use inside the case, if
you're daring. Two other cures would be to rearrange your furniture so
that the computer faces another direction or moving to the Moon.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (10/12/90)

In article <4185@lib.tmc.edu>, drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
|> In article <1990Oct10.155711.7580@tandem.com> goodill_eric@tandem.com
|> (Eric Goodill) writes:
|> > My portrait display has been quiet, but too has a downward slope on the
|> > left side.  I went to an Apple dealer, and he tried to adjust it, but he
|> > said everything he tried made it worse.
|>
|> I know this sounds ridiculous, but try turning the monitor 90 degrees so
|> that it faces either the left or right side of your desk. If the problem
|> disappears, the problem is caused by an interaction with the Earth's
|> magnetic field, indicating that the monitor case is poorly shielded.
|>
|> I think I've heard of a shielding spray you can use inside the case, if
|> you're daring. Two other cures would be to rearrange your furniture so
|> that the computer faces another direction or moving to the Moon.

I tried the reorientation "fix" before taking my monitor back to the
shop - this wasn't the problem. The concensus from other replies to my
original question is that it is possible to adjust some magnets on the end
of the tube, but Apple technicians aren't supposed to do this...
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

kanala@sc2a.unige.ch (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct9.230536.6653@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>, ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (LaSota Daniel K) writes:

> In article <1990Oct9.210021.24473@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes...

>>I have an Apple Portrait Display (fancy name for A4/full page). The
>>general display quality is good, but there is a downward slope at the
> .
> .
>>anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?
>>--
>>* horizontal lines come out looking like this:
>>    _______
>>   /
>> /
>>/
>>(though obviously not as bad).
>>--
>>Philip Machanick
>>philip@pescadero.stanford.edu
>
> Although I don't know what would cause this a friend of mine has the same
> problem.  I also have a Portrait display and noticed a wicked squeal.
> It is now being replaced.
> Anyone else have problems witht he Portrait monitor?
>
> Dan LaSota
> ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu

And now what am I writing:
I suspect there is no remedy to this. Problem may be caused by an
anomaly in wiring of inductance cathode ray electron beam deviator
(I do not know the exact "terminus technicus").
If this is true, then the only solution is to have a very friendly
dealer who lets to test twenty or fifty monitors in order to find one
that is acceptable.
At our institute, we have one Apple A4 monitor who makes this (upper left
corner):   :
            :
             :
             :
(Should be a vertical line near to edge.)  It is independent of video
board used (Apple, Nutmeg) and Mac (SE/30, II, IIfx).
Roman Kanala, CUEPE, University of Geneva, kanala@sc2a.unige.ch

dnl@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (David "IGOR" Latter) (10/15/90)

 >>I have an Apple Portrait Display (fancy name for A4/full page). The
 >>general display quality is good, but there is a downward slope at the
 > .
 > .
 >>anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?
 >>--
 >>* horizontal lines come out looking like this:
 >>    _______
 >>   /
 >> /
 >>/

> > problem.  I also have a Portrait display and noticed a wicked squeal.
> >

> At our institute, we have one Apple A4 monitor who makes this (upper left
> corner):   :
>             :
>              :
>              :
------------

Has anyone tried to de-magnetise the screen ???
I know that you normally only de-gause on colour tube (I normally service tv's)
however, I have seen the metal mounts on terminals become magnetised which
produces effects as described above.....notably only at the corners where
the metal mounts are....
See if you can find someone with a de-gausing wand.

If it was a tv with a loud "squeal" or ringing...(at line scan rate)
I normally identify the offending ferrite core (eht transformer,switch mode
transformer etc) by pressing on the ferrite with a plastic rod. The noise
stops when you get the right one....To fix it, use some spray poly-urethane
and spray the ferrite.... This when dry locks the ferrite to the windings
and the transformer mounts.