[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Direct connection between Macs

tanju@cbnewsi.att.com (tanju.cataltepe) (10/10/90)

Hello,

I want to be able to connect two Macs by a cable through the
serial ports and use a communications program (vPro or Microphone)
to do file transfer.

Is this possible? What kind of a cable do I need and where can I get
it from?

Thanks,

-Tanju Cataltepe

tanju@honet7.att.com

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/14/90)

tanju.cataltepe writes in a message on 09 Oct 90:

TT>  I want to be able to connect two Macs by a cable through the
TT>  serial ports and use a communications program (vPro or Microphone)
TT>  to do file transfer.
TT>  Is this possible? What kind of a cable do I need and where can
TT>  I get it from?...

Don't know about the cable, but my recommendation is to connect them via AppleTalk
(LocalTalk or compatible connectors) and use Okyto, from the FreeSoft Company
(makers of White Knight telcom program).  Okyto can do simultaneous two way
file transfers and can run in the background; this to me is the poor man's way
of doing what TOPS does in a fancier way.  Just keep Okyto running in the background,
and you can at any time go to the other machine's drive and transfer anything
you need, or send anything to it from your machine.  Okyto runs about $50, maybe
less.  It comes free with White Knight, also.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

maarten@fwi.uva.nl (Maarten Carels) (10/15/90)

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:

> tanju.cataltepe writes in a message on 09 Oct 90:

> TT>  I want to be able to connect two Macs by a cable through the
> TT>  serial ports and use a communications program (vPro or Microphone)
> TT>  to do file transfer.
> TT>  Is this possible? What kind of a cable do I need and where can
> TT>  I get it from?...

> Don't know about the cable, but my recommendation is to connect them via AppleTalk
> (LocalTalk or compatible connectors) and use Okyto, from the FreeSoft Company
> (makers of White Knight telcom program).  Okyto can do simultaneous two way
> file transfers and can run in the background; this to me is the poor man's way
> of doing what TOPS does in a fancier way.  Just keep Okyto running in the background,
> and you can at any time go to the other machine's drive and transfer anything
> you need, or send anything to it from your machine.  Okyto runs about $50, maybe
> less.  It comes free with White Knight, also.

I think AppleTalk (sorry, LocalTalk) is the fastest way, but I would like
to suggest a different piece of software.
How about this:
- Use Public Folder (freeware for Claris users)  to do the transfers. I think
  you can get a copy at the usual places (sumex for example).

If the localtalk net consists of only two nodes, you can use a
mac-to-imagewriter cable for the connection. You can use the same cable for
transfers by means of communication programs like VersaTerm.

But, on the other hand. Why not use floppies for the transfer? The baudrate
of a floppy is higher than a serial cable, of appletalk!
Or possibly still faster, connect the hard drive from one of the machines
to the other.

--maarten

--
In real life:	Maarten Carels
		Computer Science Department

dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu (10/16/90)

  You might also want to look at Oscar for transfering files.  Oscar is more a
a pneumatic tube approch as compared to public folder.  Normally, two or more
machines have Oscar running in the backround.  To send Phred a file just
drop it in Phred's in box.  Phred will be notified when the file arrives and it
will be in a folder that identifies you as the sender.  I find it a bit easier
to use than Public Folder.  Oscar is available for anonymous ftp at apple.com.

david | dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu | dhoyt@umnacvx.bitnet