[net.columbia] Vandenburg

gjl@ihwpt.UUCP (g licitis) (02/05/86)

 While discussing the shuttle over the weekend a question came up
concerning Vandenburg launches.  Does anyone know if the launches
are retrograde launches. It seems that if they launch the shuttle
the same as they do from Florida that the SRBs are going to land
somewhere in Nevada or Arizona. The same seems to be true if they
do polar launches.    Any launch east or north will mean that the
shuttle will be in boost phase over land and populated areas.  If
this is the case it seems that the next shuttle accident could be
much more devistating than this one.  Am I missing something here
or is this just another case of military intelligence. :-)
				Gunars Licitis
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Naperville Il.

agparghi@watnot.UUCP (Amit Parghi) (02/07/86)

> While discussing the shuttle over the weekend a question came up
>concerning Vandenburg launches.  Does anyone know if the launches
>are retrograde launches. It seems that if they launch the shuttle
>the same as they do from Florida that the SRBs are going to land
>somewhere in Nevada or Arizona. The same seems to be true if they
>do polar launches.    Any launch east or north will mean that the
>shuttle will be in boost phase over land and populated areas.  If
>this is the case it seems that the next shuttle accident could be
>much more devistating than this one.  Am I missing something here
>or is this just another case of military intelligence. :-)
>				Gunars Licitis

I seem to remember reading in _The Space Shuttle_ (a NASA publication) that
the Vandenberg launches were to be done over the Pacific, in a west/northwest
direction (roughly).  Actual ranges for the angles from north were given,
but I don't have the book with me.

 - Amit
--
   Amit PARGHI
   St Jerome's College, WATERLOO, Ontario, N2L 3G3, Canada.

    UUCP:   {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,clyde,utzoo}!watmath!watnot!agparghi
    CSNET:  agparghi%watnot@waterloo.CSNET
    ARPA:   agparghi%watnot%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA
    BITNET: agparghi@WATDCSU.BITNET

lmc@cisden.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) (02/08/86)

>  While discussing the shuttle over the weekend a question came up
> concerning Vandenburg launches.  Does anyone know if the launches
> are retrograde launches.

The whole idea in using Vandenburg is that launches into *polar* orbit
could be done over water.  I can't imagine a use for a retrograde orbit;
it would not cover any features that are not covered by a normal Kennedy
SC orbit, and it would cost a whole lot in weight-to-orbit.  As far as I
know, Vandenburg will not be making any launches that do not fly over
water; therefore it will be only useful for highly-inclined orbits.

Lyle McElhaney
...hao!cisden!lmc

> ... Does anyone know if the launches
> are retrograde launches. It seems that if they launch the shuttle
> the same as they do from Florida that the SRBs are going to land
> somewhere in Nevada or Arizona. The same seems to be true if they
> do polar launches.    Any launch east or north will mean that the
> shuttle will be in boost phase over land and populated areas...

You missed one direction, the one they actually use:  south.  South of
Vandenberg there are a few little islands in an awful lot of empty ocean.

There is no "retrograde" for a precisely polar orbit, since half of each
orbit is northbound and the other half is southbound.  Actually many
Vandenberg launches are slightly retrograde, with the angle to the equator
being something like 97 degrees.  Given the right orbital altitude, this
results in an orbit that is "sun-synchronous":  it is fixed in space with
relation to the Earth-Sun axis, so the satellite always passes over the
equator at the same local time.  This is a major asset for weather and
remote-sensing satellites which would like consistent sun angles from
one pass to the next.

(I guess I'd better elaborate on how a sun-synchronous orbit works, or
somebody will surely claim it can't because orbital planes are fixed
and a sun-synchronous orbit's plane has to rotate as the Earth circles
the Sun.  The Earth is not a perfect sphere, and therefore does not
behave precisely as a gravitational point mass.  So all those nice
perfect ellipses we learned about in physics class are only approximations
to a more complicated truth.  The gravitational effect of Earth's equatorial
bulge "drags" the plane of a near-polar orbit around slowly.  By picking
the right combination of orbital inclination and altitude, the dragging
is exactly 360 degrees per year.)
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (02/12/86)

> >  While discussing the shuttle over the weekend a question came up
> > concerning Vandenburg launches.  Does anyone know if the launches
> > are retrograde launches.
>
> The whole idea in using Vandenburg is that launches into *polar* orbit
> could be done over water.  I can't imagine a use for a retrograde orbit;

So? Because you can't imagine a use, does that mean there are none?
I have followed your recent group of postings with interest, and appreciate
someone knowledgeable taking the time to place factual postings here.

However, now that the question has been raised, I wonder if other
net-columbians can think of any uses for retrograde orbit? I imagined these:

a) Say you wanted to view a lot of different locations frequently but
couldn't afford to view them all continuously. A retrograde orbit would put
you over the locations more frequently than any other kind. (Cheap spy
or SDI system.)

b) Say you wanted to measure the speed of rotation of the earth in a new way
(like to verify the number predicted or calculated by other methods). Two
satellites going in precisely opposite orbits could do some pretty fancy
timing things...

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/14/86)

In article <754@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:

>However, now that the question has been raised, I wonder if other
>net-columbians can think of any uses for retrograde orbit? I imagined these:
>
>a) Say you wanted to view a lot of different locations frequently but
>couldn't afford to view them all continuously. A retrograde orbit would put
>you over the locations more frequently than any other kind. (Cheap spy
>or SDI system.)
>
>b) Say you wanted to measure the speed of rotation of the earth in a new way
>(like to verify the number predicted or calculated by other methods). Two
>satellites going in precisely opposite orbits could do some pretty fancy
>timing things...

	Correct me if I'm wrong (did I really need to say that? :-)), but
isn't a retrograde orbit a little like driving down the freeway the wrong
way? And isn't the "freeway" getting to look like rush hour?

	I would think a fragmentation grenade in retrograde orbit would be
a interesting concept in anti-sattelite warfare. But then, I suppose you
would want more accuracy than the random chance that would provide, besides,
you'd have to teach all the little frags how to distinguish between good
satellites and bad ones. Ahhh.. but maybe a terrorist government...

--MKR

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (02/18/86)

In article <754@tpvax.fluke.UUCP>, inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:
> > >  While discussing the shuttle over the weekend a question came up
> > > concerning Vandenburg launches.  Does anyone know if the launches
> > > are retrograde launches.
> >
> > The whole idea in using Vandenburg is that launches into *polar* orbit
> > could be done over water.  I can't imagine a use for a retrograde orbit;
> However, now that the question has been raised, I wonder if other
> net-columbians can think of any uses for retrograde orbit? I imagined these:

( 'a' and 'b' suggestions deleted )

How about a 'c' suggestion:  What happens if your satelite is in a
regular orbit and my satelite is in a retrograde orbit... One heck of
a lot of energy there when they hit.  I am sure the military uses
are clear.
--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (02/19/86)

In article <2802@amdahl.UUCP> ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) writes:
>How about a 'c' suggestion:  What happens if your satelite is in a
>regular orbit and my satelite is in a retrograde orbit... One heck of
>a lot of energy there when they hit.  I am sure the military uses
>are clear.
>--
>E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

Sounds like a really expensive way to shoot down a satellite. They're
probably working on it now.

--

Bruce Holloway
Digital Research, Inc.

....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
(I'm not THAT Bruce Holloway, I'm the other one.)