[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Compatibility issues with Macintosh IIsi

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (10/16/90)

With regards to software and hardware compatibility on the new
Macintosh IIsi:  I found these articles on Applelink, and thought they
needed to be passed along.  I have no additional information beyond
what you see here; please don't bother asking.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"
  "It's no crime to be a blob!"  -- Morna J. Findlay, rec.sport.soccer

****

Macintosh IIsi: Application Software Compatibility

This article last reviewed: 15 October 1990

This document summarizes the software compatibility issues known at the
time of introduction of the Macintosh IIsi.

The Macintosh IIsi Was Widely Seeded
------------------------------------
In the United States alone, over 300 developers received Macintosh IIsi
seed units.  Many other developers received full documentation, and
were able to test their products at Apple.  This was the most extensive
seeding/testing of a new computer in recent history.

Of the applications on which Apple has compatibility information, 97%
either work with the Macintosh IIsi, or are being revised.  The other
3% are discontinued products.

What Customers Should Do
------------------------
Apple recommends that customers use the latest versions of both
software and hardware. For more information on compatible versions and
upgrade programs, contact the developers.  Several developers are
running special upgrade offers.

Compatibility Issues
--------------------
FPU: Apple has identified about twenty application programs that
require an FPU (and do not have an alternate non-FPU version).  Many of
the color paint programs that fall in this category are being revised
to work on all Macintosh models. However, most CAD/CAM programs and
other high-end graphics/math programs still require an FPU.  We will
identify these applications on all compatibility lists.

Microsoft Excel: Version 2.2a is recommended for all Macintosh IIsi and
Macintosh LC configurations. According to Microsoft, this is the
version being shipped worldwide, except for the Arabic and Hebrew
versions, which began shipping just three months ago. Microsoft offers
a free upgrade from 2.2 to 2.2a.

Monitor size: Several programs do not work properly on the Apple
Macintosh 12-inch RGB Display, because they assume a minimum 640-pixel
by 480-pixel size.  These programs are being revised.

Macintosh SE/30 cards: Some Macintosh SE/30 cards do not work with the
Macintosh IIsi, due to incorrect timing and physical dimensions.  All
cards that follow the guidelines in Apple's "Cards and Drivers" manual
work correctly.

NuBus power requirements: Some NuBus cards exceed the 15W power maximum
specification.  These cards are primarily the high-end graphics and
video cards.  We have asked developers of these cards to include, in
their manuals, references to power if they exceed the maximum
specification. We have also included a caution in the Macintosh IIsi
manual.

Sound: The new sound input software has made it necessary for some
developers to update their software.  Latest versions should work with
the new Macintosh models.

AppleTalk: An AppleTalk problem in System 6.0.6 has been fixed in
System 6.0.7, which will be shipped with all Macintosh IIsi and
Macintosh LC systems sold in the United states.

Macintosh IIsi: Compatibility With Selected Software

This article last reviewed: 15 October 1990

Apple recommends that customers use the latest versions of Macintosh
software that are compatible with their Macintosh hardware.  Apple
compiled the following list from information received from many
software developers.  These developers have recommended certain
versions of their software for use with the Macintosh IIsi computer.

This is not a comprehensive list of programs, or versions of programs,
that are compatible with the Macintosh IIsi.  Please contact your
dealer or the software developer if you have any questions. They can
help you identify the newest version of a particular program and tell
you how to upgrade if necessary.

Developer                 Program/Version                 Telephone
------------------------  --------------------------      ------------
Abacus Concepts, Inc.     StatView II  1.03 (1)           800-666-7828
                          StatView SE+Graphics  1.03
                          SuperANOVA for Mac II  1.1 (1)
                          SuperANOVA for Mac+  1.1
ACIUS, Inc.               4th Dimension  2.0.11, 2.1      408-252-4444 ext. 4
Adobe Systems, Inc.       Font Porter  1.0                415-961-0911
                          Illustrator 3.0
                          Photoshop 1.0.7
                          Streamline  1.0 and above
                          Type Align  1.0 and above
                          Type Library  All versions
                          Type Manager  2.0
                          Type Reunion  1.0 and above
Aldus                     Freehand  2.02                  206-628-2320
                          PageMaker  3.02, 3.02CE,4.0
                          Persuasion  2.0
                          PrePrint  1.0 (1)
Altsys                    Fontographer  3.1 and above     214-680-2060
                          Metamorphosis  1.5 and above
                          The Art Importer 2.0 and above
Apple Computer, Inc.      MacTerminal  2.3.1 and above    408-996-1010
Articulate Systems, Inc.  Voice Link  1.0                 800-443-7077
                          Voice Link S/W   1.0
                          Voice Navigator  2.0
                          Voice Navigator II  2.0
Ashlar Incorporated       Vellum  2.0 (1)                 408-746-3953
Ashton-Tate               Full Impact  2.0                800-2ASHTON
                          FullWrite Professional  1.5
Blyth Software, Inc.      Omnis 3 Plus  3.308             415-571-0222
                          Omnis 5  All versions
Broderbund                BannerMania  1.0                800-521-6263
                          Drawing Table  1.0
                          DTP Advisor  1.0
                          Jam Session  1.1.1
                          Playmaker Football  1.1.1
                          Playroom  1.1
                          Printshop  1.3.2
                          SimCity  1.2c
                          Type  1.0
                          Typestyler  1.5
                          Where in Europe is Carmen Sandiego?  1.1
                          Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego?  1.1
                          Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?  1.2
                          Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?  1.0
CE Software, Inc.         Alarming Events  1.0.1          515-224-1995
                          Amazing Paint  1.0.1
                          Calendar Maker  3.0.1
                          DiskTop  4.0
                          In/Out  1.0.1
                          QuicKeys  1.2.1
                          QuicKeys 2  2.0
                          QuickMail  2.2.3
Central Point Software    MacTools Deluxe  1.0            503-690-8080
Claris Corp.              Claris CAD  2.0v1               408-727-8227
                          FileMaker Pro  1.0
                          HyperCard  2.0
                          MacDraw II  1.1v2
                          MacPaint  2.0
                          MacProject II  2.1v3
                          MacWrite II  1.1v2
                          SmartForm Assistant  1.1v2
                          SmartForm Designer  1.1v2
Computer Associates       AccPac/Simply Accounting  1.1   800-531-5236
Dayna Communications      DOS Mounter  1.2                801-972-2000
Deltapoint, Inc.          DeltaGraph  1.5                 800-367-4334
                          TASTE  1.0
Electronic Arts           Studio/1  1.0                   800-245-4525 (6)
                          Studio/8  2.0
                          Studio/32  1.0
Farallon Computing        Farallon Sound Driver  1.2      415-596-9000
                          LW Status  1.0.2
                          MacRecorder Sound System  2.0.3
                          MediaTracks  1.0.1
                          NodeHint  1.0.2
                          PhoneNET CheckNET  1.0.2
                          PhoneNET Manager's Pack  1.0
                          RegisterName  9.0
                          StarCommand  2.2
                          Timbuktu  3.1.2
                          Timbuktu/Remote  2.0.1
                          TrafficWatch  1.0.8
Fifth Generation Systems  DiskLock  2.0                   504-291-7221
                          Fastback II  2.5
                          File Director  1.0
                          Pyro!  4.0
                          Suitcase II  1.2.6
                          SuperLaserSpool  2.02
                          SuperSpool  5.0
GeoQuery Corporation      GeoQuery  2.01                  800-541-0181
Informix Software, Inc.   Wingz  1.1a                     913-492-9922
Innovative Data Design    MacDraft  2.0, 2.1              415-680-6818
Interleaf                 Interleaf Publisher 3.6 & above 617-577-9800
Intuit, Inc.              Quicken  1.5                    800-624-8742
LetraSet                  DesignStudio  1.02              800-343-TYPE
                          FontStudio  1.0 (4)
                          ImageStudio  1.7
                          LetraStudio  1.53
                          Ready,Set,Go!  4.5a
MacroMind, Inc.           Accelerator  2.0.1              415-442-0200
                          Director  2.0.1
                          Player  2.0.1
                          Three-D    .90 (1)
Mainstay                  AntiToxin  1.3 and above        818-991-6540
                          Capture  3.0 and above
                          ClickPaste  1.1 and above
                          MacFlow  3.1.5 and above
                          MacSchedule  2.0.4 and above
                          MarcoPolo  1.01 and above
                          MarkUp  1.03 and above
                          V.I.P.  2.51
Microsoft Corporation     Excel  2.2a and above           206-454-2030
                          File  2.0a and above
                          Mail  2.0 and above
                          Office  1.0 and above
                          Powerpoint  2.01 and above
                          QuickBASIC  1.00b and above
                          Word  4.0a and above
                          Works  2.0b and above
Odesta Corporation        Double Helix  3.0               708-498-5615
Oracle                    Oracle For Macintosh  1.2       800-ORACLE1
PeachTree (Symmetry)      atOnce!  1.01                   602-998-9106
Quark, Inc.               QuarkStyle  1.01                303-934-0784
                          QuarkXPress  2.12, 3.00
Silicon Beach Software    Digital Darkroom  1.1           619-695-6956
                          Super 3D  2.1 (3)
                          SuperCard  1.5
                          SuperPaint  2.0
Softsync/BLOC Accountant  Professional 1.0 and above      800-933-2537
SuperMac Technology       DiskFit  1.5.1                  408-245-2202
                          Network DiskFit  1.5.1
                          PixelPaint   2.1 (5)
                          PixelPaint Professional  2.0 (2)
                          Sentinel  2.2
Symantec Corporation      MORE   3.0                      800-441-7234 (7)
                          SAM II  2.03
                          SUM II  2.0
                          Think C  4.02
                          Think Pascal  3.01
Symmetry Software Corp.   Acta  1.0 and above             602-998-9106
                          HyperDA II  2.0
                          KeyPlan  1.0 and above
                          Mariah  1.0
T/Maker Company           WriteNow  2.0, 2.2              415-962-0195
WordPerfect Corporation   WordPerfect  1.0.5              800-451-5151

footnotes
---------
(1)Requires floating-point math coprocessor
(2)Application scheduled to ship fourth quarter 1990.
(3)Requires floating-point math coprocessor to run color.
(4)Use disk labeled "Mac Plus 68000".
(5)Requires 13" RGB monitor. Application scheduled to ship 10/31/90.
(6)  from California: 415-572-2787
(7)  from California: 800-626-8847

This partial list of third parties and third-party products is for
informational purposes only and constitutes neither an endorsement nor
a recommendation by Apple Computer, Inc. All product specifications and
descriptions were supplied by the products' vendors or suppliers. Apple
Computer, Inc., has no information about the testing procedures and
compatibility verification conducted by the products' vendors and
suppliers.  Apple Computer, Inc., assumes no responsibility with regard
to the selection, performance, or use of these products or vendors. All
understandings, agreements, or warranties with respect to the software
in this list, if any, take place directly between the vendors and the
prospective users. Apple Computer, Inc., makes no warranties as to the
completeness or accuracy of this list.

Macintosh IIsi: Expansion Card Compatibility

This article last reviewed: 15 October 1990

This document describes some of the compatibility issues between the
Macintosh IIsi and NuBus and 030 direct cards.  To determine if a given
card has any of the following problems with the IIsi, the manufacturer
of the card should be contacted.  The issues include:

Card Power Requirements
-----------------------
Some NuBus cards exceed the 15-watt limit for NuBus cards. In the case
of Macintosh II models with multiple NuBus slots, an empty NuBus slot
usually provides some margin.  Because the Macintosh IIsi is a one-slot
system, that margin does not exist.  As a result, it is more critical
that the 15-watt power requirement for NuBus cards be maintained in the
Macintosh IIsi.

One specific example of such a card is the Macintosh Display Card 8/24
GC.  Testing is still in progress to determine reliability of this card
with the Macintosh IIsi, because this card usually demonstrates a lower
power draw than what it is rated for.  For now, Apple's position is
that the Macintosh IIsi was designed to support only NuBus cards under
15 watts -- and the Display Card 8/24 GC is over that limit.  A notice
to that effect is included in the Display Card 8/24 GC manual and data
sheet.  It is also mentioned in the Macintosh IIsi manual.  Apple has
encouraged developers with very high-powered NuBus cards to use the
same notices in their documentation.

Card Size
---------
NuBus and 030 Direct cards that deviate from the size specifications of
each type of card may experience fit problems.  Also, NuBus cards that
are a two-card set, such as a video card and an accelerator, will not
work in the Macintosh IIsi.

Clock Signal
------------
Macintosh SE/30 cards that depend on the 16-MHz clock speed of the
Macintosh SE/30 do not work with the Macintosh IIsi because the clock
speed of the Macintosh IIsi is 20 MHz.

Macintosh IIsi: Optional FPU & Application Compatibility

This article last reviewed: 15 October 1990

Some software applications incorrectly assume that an FPU is present in
any Macintosh system that has a 68030 microprocessor.  Microsoft Excel
and Adobe Photoshop are two.

Vendors whose applications were found incompatible with the Macintosh
IIsi have been informed of this, and in most cases have revised their
applications to more accurately query system software for the existence
of the FPU.  Both Microsoft Excel (with version 2.2a) and Adobe
Photoshop (version 1.1) have been corrected, and the new versions work
properly with the Macintosh IIsi.

Copyright 1990, Apple Computer, Inc.

landman@hanami.Eng.Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (10/18/90)

In article <45687@apple.Apple.COM> blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
>Of the applications on which Apple has compatibility information, 97%
>either work with the Macintosh IIsi, or are being revised.  The other
>3% are discontinued products.

Note that they don't tell you what percentage of programs broke and
needed fixing ... don't want to frighten the sheep ...

--
	Howard A. Landman
	landman@eng.sun.com -or- sun!landman