[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Sound input on the new machines

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (10/16/90)

I saw this on Applelink and thought some people might be interested.  I
know nothing more than what's listed.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"

Macintosh LC and Macintosh IIsi sound input

Macintosh LC and Macintosh IIsi have built-in mono 8-bit sound input
circuitry. This hardware is supported by the System 7.0 Sound Manager
which is included in System 6.0.7.

An electret microphone, plastic holders to attach the microphone to the
front of a monitor or clip-on to clothing, and an attenuated RCA
adaptor cable will be included with the CPU.  The microphone has a male
miniature stereo phone connector.  Customers can use any commercially
available microphone which does not require an external power source.

The RCA adapter cable, with a male miniature stereo phone connector on
one end and two female RCA connectors on the other, has a special
attenuator on it that steps down the voltage level of the incoming
signal.  Devices such as CD players or tape players provide line out
signals at a higher level than the 20 millivolt - 600= impedence
expected by the sound input circuitry.  If you use a non-attenuated RCA
adaptor cable in the audio in jack, you will not hurt the CPU and it
will still digitize the signal, but it will be very distorted (sort of
like a Jimi Hendrix guitar riff).

If you use the attenuated RCA adapter cable as a audio out cable, it
may or may not work, depending on what youUre connecting to.   Using a
standard RCA adapter cable is recommended for audio out.  If the
microphone is plugged into the audio out jack no sound will come out of
the jack or the internal speaker.

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (10/16/90)

On 15-Oct-90 in NEW MAC INFO
user mece1ui@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>After attending the Apple new products show,
>I obtain the following information about new MacLC and MacIIsi.
>
>MacLC	16-MHz 68020
>	020 Direct Slot
>	2MB RAM (expandable to 10MB)
>	512k VRAM (optional)
>	Stereo sound input and output
>	Apple IIe card (optional)
>	Build in 8-bit Video output
>	40 MB internal drive
>	(Two drives configuration is only for high education)

Will there be a way that you can install a PMMU on the LC? (as with
the original Mac II)

Brad Hathaway
work phone: (412) 268-8454
email:bh11@andrew.cmu.edu

wayne@helix.nih.gov (Wayne Rasband) (10/16/90)

> Will there be a way that you can install a PMMU on the LC? (as with
> the original Mac II)

Dynamac(800-234-2349) has announced a $99 board for the LC(the LCDevice)
that includes sockets for a 68030(which has a built-in PMMU) and a 68882.
What I would like to see is a 68040 upgrade for the LC. That would provide
a PMU, FPU, 4K instruction and data caches,  and(I expect) somewhat better
performance.

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/18/90)

In article <Ib6fB0y00Uzx44n6Rs@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:

>On 15-Oct-90 in NEW MAC INFO
>user mece1ui@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>>After attending the Apple new products show,
>>I obtain the following information about new MacLC and MacIIsi.
>>
>>MacLC	16-MHz 68020
>>	020 Direct Slot
>>	2MB RAM (expandable to 10MB)
>>	512k VRAM (optional)
>>	Stereo sound input and output
>>	Apple IIe card (optional)
>>	Build in 8-bit Video output
>>	40 MB internal drive
>>	(Two drives configuration is only for high education)
>
>Will there be a way that you can install a PMMU on the LC? (as with
>the original Mac II)

>Brad Hathaway
>work phone: (412) 268-8454
>email:bh11@andrew.cmu.edu

**My employers don't understand me, so I guess I'm on my own when I speak out**
Norton Chia		|	I *think* my address is
Micro Support		|		carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/18/90)

Silly me, I pressed the wrong key.  Sorry if I posted a null reply :^{
In article <Ib6fB0y00Uzx44n6Rs@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:

>On 15-Oct-90 in NEW MAC INFO
>user mece1ui@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>	[some text deleted]
>Will there be a way that you can install a PMMU on the LC? (as with
>the original Mac II)

Not the way of the Mac II.  The LC does not have any chip holders you can
simply plug a chip in.  How else can you get an eL Cheapo? ;)
All of this will need to go thru' the direct slot.  The only cards Apple
will make for the LC is an Apple //e compatible card and later joined by
a low cost Ethernet card (self contradiction?).  Before you say anything,
this Ethernet card is only suitable for the LC.  No, Apple will not make a
low cost Ethernet card for the rest of its computers.  Of course Ethernet
may be built in for the '040, but that's NOT low cost.

So solution as far as the PMMU is concerned?  Hassle 3rd parties for that.
Either a card with both the PMMU and '881/882 or an '030 with '882.  They
have however, only 4 watts to play with...