[comp.sys.mac.hardware] More on A+ Mouse saga!

jacobson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (10/18/90)

For those of you who have been following the discussion of the A+ mouse
and the init that supposedly fixes 6.05 problems I wanted to add a little
more of my experience in this saga.

I found the A+ had been replaced by the "Little Mouse". The new mouse
comes with the init on a floppy. I loaded it init and had my mouse installed
and viola when I press my keyboard the application I am in dies, and the
desktop "closes" and the computer locks up. Take out the init and the
mouse works fine and the keyboard works, but when you press a keystroke
while moving the mouse it "freezes" as described here without the init.

I tried removing all the inits I could think of but still when this init
for the mouse was in the system my keyboard would lock the computer up.
I tested this at work on a Mac II. The same result. On an SE instead of
locking the system up the ADB keyboard was simply "dead" no input occured
til the init was removed. I was about to just live without the init since
I do not commonly use my keyboard and mouse at the same time so the jerky
slow down of the mouse cursor is no real problem.

I talke to the technician at Mouse Systems who had not heard of any init
conflicts occuring, but he asked me to try renaming the "Little Mouse" init
so it loaded first or early in the loading of inits by the finder. I did so
and sure enough I no longer had any problem with the keyboard locking or
crashing the system.

At any rate if you have this init or get the mouse and thus load the init
into your system beware of it. You will need to either not use it or load
it early since it obviously badly conflicts with other inits if it loads too
late in the init loading sequence.

I am interested in the reply to a note of yesterday in which the respondent
wrote:

In <1990Oct16.234733.28129@wpi.WPI.EDU> macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) wr
ites:

>For those of you who are A+ Mouse owners, you can call Mouse Systems and
>request the init to patch the conflict of the A+ optical Mouse with Macs
>running System 6.0.5.

Chris (or anyone):

Did you hear whether the same problems occur under 6.0.7? A while back, I
heard that Apple admitted the problem was theirs and had promised to fix
things in the next release. Have they?

Thanks!

- John (fratus@niaid.nih.gov)
------------------------------------
I too wonder about 6.07 and if Apple has since admitted the problem is theirs
rather than those who developed the third party ADB products. Is there any
truth to this. And if so I then also would like to know if 6.07 does fix this
could anyone respond or send me email about this?  If this has gotten fixed
in 6.07 then I should try and get 6.07 rather than use this init. Any
comments you have would be most helpful. Thanks

BITNET  jacobson@uiucux1
ARPANET jacobson%uiucux1@a.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET   jacobson%uiucux1@uiuc.csnet
USENET  [ihnp4,pur-ee,convex]uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucux1!jacobson

Russ Jacobson
Illinois Geological Survey
Champaign, IL 61820
217-244-2425

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (10/18/90)

In this case, the problem is *not* with Apple.  I booted off of
several other System disks -- v5.0, 6.0.2, 6.0.3, even 3.2 -- and
the same conflict occurred.

The ADB problem in System 6.0.5 may *aggravate* the conflict, but
the problem is there regardless of the System version.

--
David R. Zinkin  --> Case Western Reserve University (Student)
(drz@po.cwru.edu)    CWRU Macintosh User Group (Columnist & Consultant)