[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SCSI Reselection Problem

sanjiv@bmers187.uucp (Sanjiv Khurana) (10/17/90)

Mac SCSI Expert Advice Needed
----------------------------
Subject: how to reselect the Mac after disconnection.

The sequence of events on the SCSI bus is:
                Mac gets bus
		Mac selects device (ATN asserted)
		Mac issues IDENTIFY message
		Mac issues data transfer command
		Device issues "SAVE DATA POINTERS" message
		Device issues "DISCONNECT" message
		<bus free, so far so good>
		Device gets bus
		Device attempts to reselect Mac
		Mac ignores device completely

The problem is how to make the Mac respond to reselection.  I can poll the
SCSI bus (using SCSIStat) but once I recognize that the device wants
to reselect, how do I tell the Mac that I want to acknowledge the
reselection?  I need to assert the BSY line to acknowledge it, according
to the SCSI standard. Once that's done, the device will take over again, and
all's well.

I am working on a Mac II with the old SCSI manager and system 6.0.5.
Thanks for any advice...

If possible, please respond via e-mail to "gbrown@bnr.ca" (bitnet)

Gord Brown

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct17.143151.5125@bmers145.bnr.ca> sanjiv@bmers187.uucp (Sanjiv Khurana) writes:
>Mac SCSI Expert Advice Needed
>----------------------------
>Subject: how to reselect the Mac after disconnection.
>
>The problem is how to make the Mac respond to reselection.  I can poll the
>SCSI bus (using SCSIStat) but once I recognize that the device wants
>to reselect, how do I tell the Mac that I want to acknowledge the
>reselection?  I need to assert the BSY line to acknowledge it, according
>to the SCSI standard. Once that's done, the device will take over again, and
>all's well.

I tried to e-mail you, but our mailer claimed it couldn't
reach you, so I'm responding publicly.

Unfortunately, disconnect/reconnect is not supported by the
Mac SCSI manager.  In other words, you're stuck.  There is no
legal way to do what you want to do.

Some third party's have rewritten to SCSI manager to include this
feature.  But I would not recommend this.

David