[comp.sys.mac.hardware] MAC IIsi sound input... Some gripes!

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (10/17/90)

   Like some of you, I got my first chance to play with a Mac IIsi today
(ok, it's on my desk!!!) and I am a little dissapointed with the audio
input.

   The biggest problem is that NONE of the existant software that we have
here (including QuickMail v2.2.3 with voice mail) can SEE the damn thing!!!

   If you are aware of a driver that is available from either Apple or
CE Software that enables QuickMail v2.2.3 to work with the Mac IIsi sound
input, please let me know how to obtain it.

   Also, there seems to be a fair amount of background noise generated by
the Mac IIsi's FAN and the Conner 40meg.  I know there's not much you can
do about that, but the mic (mounted on the right hand side of the screen)
catches a lot of it.

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: Pascal@cam.org   Applelink: CDA0585   |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (10/18/90)

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:

>    The biggest problem is that NONE of the existant software that we have
> here (including QuickMail v2.2.3 with voice mail) can SEE the damn thing!!!
>
>    If you are aware of a driver that is available from either Apple or
> CE Software that enables QuickMail v2.2.3 to work with the Mac IIsi sound
> input, please let me know how to obtain it.

QuickMail version 2.2.3 supports all Macintoshes running System 6.0.6
with either Apple's standard voice input device, such as the built-in
microphones on the Macintosh LC and IIsi models, or any Sound Input
Manager (SIM) compatible digitizer, including Articulate System's
VoiceLink and Farallon Computing's MacRecorder. The QM Recorder update
module for SIM support will be available free of charge in the forth
quarter of 1990 in CE Software's AppleLink, America Online, CONNECT
and CompuServe forums or by calling CE technical support at +1 515 224
1995.

John

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.013456.23967@CAM.ORG> pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:

>   Also, there seems to be a fair amount of background noise generated by
>the Mac IIsi's FAN and the Conner 40meg.  I know there's not much you can
>do about that, but the mic (mounted on the right hand side of the screen)
>catches a lot of it.

	Funny.  I just had a chance to play with a LC (2/40) with the
mike, and had virtually no background noise.  Thought it was rather clear.
Then again, we were holding the little thing, it wasn't mounted on the
monitor.  Sound conduction, perhaps?

| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
|_  "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl; because it hurts like hell..."  _|

rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.013456.23967@CAM.ORG>, pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:
|>    The biggest problem is that NONE of the existant software that we have
|> here (including QuickMail v2.2.3 with voice mail) can SEE the damn thing!!!
|>
|>    If you are aware of a driver that is available from either Apple or
|> CE Software that enables QuickMail v2.2.3 to work with the Mac IIsi sound
|> input, please let me know how to obtain it.

Well, at the rollout here in Boston they demonstrated the sound input feature using QuickMail; if I remember correctly, it requires the addition of a single file to the System Folder (presumably), and the file was supposed to be available on CompuServe (which means we should *eventually* see it on the Internet).

Disclaimer:  I don't own and have never used QuickMail (so if there's some standard folder for QM extensions, I guess it would go there instead).

-- Russ
rsfinn@{athena,lcs}.mit.edu

In article <1990Oct17.203048.588@athena.mit.edu> rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) writes:

> Well, at the rollout here in Boston they demonstrated the sound
> input feature using QuickMail; if I remember correctly, it requires
> the addition of a single file to the System Folder (presumably), and
> the file was supposed to be available on CompuServe (which means we
> should *eventually* see it on the Internet).

	System 6.0.7 is availible via anonymous ftp at apple.com.  One
would assume that the various sound drivers for the new microphone are
included with that distribution.

	An interesting sidenote - System 6.0.7 is being distributed
on 2 -high density- 3.5" disks, although the version on apple.com seems
to be broken up into 4 800k disks.

	Please note the crosspost to c.s.m.system, and followup accordingly.

6600patb@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Pat Breitenbach) (10/18/90)

In article <5794@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

>In article <1990Oct17.013456.23967@CAM.ORG> pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:
>>
>>   Also, there seems to be a fair amount of background noise generated by
>>the Mac IIsi's FAN and the Conner 40meg.  I know there's not much you can
>>do about that, but the mic (mounted on the right hand side of the screen)
>>catches a lot of it.

>	Funny.  I just had a chance to play with a LC (2/40) with the
>mike, and had virtually no background noise.  Thought it was rather clear.
>Then again, we were holding the little thing, it wasn't mounted on the
>monitor.  Sound conduction, perhaps?

Funnier still that you were using a different machine and you
were still holding the mic instead of mounting it.  Once the
novelty wears off, I doubt you'll still be holding the thing.

Why post?

-Patrick	Internet: 6600patb@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (10/19/90)

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

>In article <1990Oct17.013456.23967@CAM.ORG> pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:
>>
>>   Also, there seems to be a fair amount of background noise generated by
>>the Mac IIsi's FAN and the Conner 40meg.  I know there's not much you can
>>do about that, but the mic (mounted on the right hand side of the screen)
>>catches a lot of it.

>	Funny.  I just had a chance to play with a LC (2/40) with the
>mike, and had virtually no background noise.  Thought it was rather clear.
>Then again, we were holding the little thing, it wasn't mounted on the
>monitor.  Sound conduction, perhaps?

>--
>| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
>| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
>|_  "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl; because it hurts like hell..."  _|

The microphone cable is VERY long and can therefore be held far from the
Mac's fan and hard disk.  There is even a small "mic-clip" included to
(presumably) tie the microphone to your shirt.