[net.columbia] A new Shuttle: What Name?

kcarroll@utzoo.UUCP (Kieran A. Carroll) (02/07/86)

(per aspera, ad astra)

Keep in mind that the names of most of the shuttles
are the names of old sailing ships.  There is no taboo
against re-using the name of a ship that has been
lost, as far as I know.  Personally, I think that
since the name "Challenger" is now unused by any
space-going vehicle, it'd be appropriate to put a
proud name back in circulation.  Perhaps not
for the new space shuttle, as that'd cause potential
confusion for future historians (was that the Challenger
that exploded, or the other one...?).  Of course,
you could name the new shuttle "Challenger II".

--

     Kieran A. Carroll @ U of Toronto Aerospace Institute
     {allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!kcarroll

pehaxell@watnot.UUCP (Penny Haxell) (02/09/86)

In article <6372@utzoo.UUCP> kcarroll@utzoo.UUCP (Kieran A. Carroll) writes:
>(per aspera, ad astra)
>
>Keep in mind that the names of most of the shuttles
>are the names of old sailing ships.  There is no taboo
>against re-using the name of a ship that has been
>lost, as far as I know.  Personally, I think that
>since the name "Challenger" is now unused by any
>space-going vehicle, it'd be appropriate to put a
>proud name back in circulation.  Perhaps not
>for the new space shuttle, as that'd cause potential
>confusion for future historians (was that the Challenger
>that exploded, or the other one...?).  Of course,
>you could name the new shuttle "Challenger II".

Do you know anyone who would even consider naming their ship the
Titanic II?

lmc@cisden.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) (02/09/86)

> Keep in mind that the names of most of the shuttles
> are the names of old sailing ships.  There is no taboo
> against re-using the name of a ship that has been
> lost, as far as I know.

I read (in the Space Program Quiz & Fact Book) that the name Atlantis was
chosen by Robert Frosch, because it was the name of his research ship at
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. The original name of the first
shuttle, Constitution, is, of course, taken from one of the United States
first "home-grown" naval frigates, the one better known as Old Ironsides
(the others were the frigates Congress, President, Constellation,
Chesapeake, and United States). The Discovery was the ship that Henry
Hudson explored for a Northwest passage with. That about exhausts my naval
lore. Does anyone know the original derivation of Enterprise (*original*,
not just WWII or Stardate 5566899...), Challenger, or Columbia? It says
they were named after American warships and exploration vessels.

PS: The Phoenix was (perhaps originally) a British warship that took part
in the British blockade of Cadiz. I think it was also the name of an
American clipper ship, which might make it a viable possibility, apart
from its felicitous cannotations.

Lyle McElhaney
...hao!cisden!lmc

cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) (02/10/86)

In article <6372@utzoo.UUCP> kcarroll@utzoo.UUCP (Kieran A. Carroll) writes:
>(per aspera, ad astra)
>
>Keep in mind that the names of most of the shuttles
>are the names of old sailing ships.  There is no taboo
>against re-using the name of a ship that has been
>lost, as far as I know.  Personally, I think that
>since the name "Challenger" is now unused by any
>space-going vehicle, it'd be appropriate to put a
>proud name back in circulation.  Perhaps not
>for the new space shuttle, as that'd cause potential
>confusion for future historians (was that the Challenger
>that exploded, or the other one...?).  Of course,
>you could name the new shuttle "Challenger II".
>
>--
>
>     Kieran A. Carroll @ U of Toronto Aerospace Institute
>     {allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!kcarroll

Then why hasn't anyone named a craft the USS Titanic or the USS
Hindenburgh(sp), for example?

Also, I have a gripe.  With the voluminous postings to wade through,
why do I have to 'n' through duplicate articles through Net.space
and Net.columbia?  Please folks, only post to ONE newsgroup.
Do you really think that readers are only going to read the one to which
you DON'T post?
		  Thank you for your cooperation,
			 Reduntantly Yours,

			 Jeff Cushner @
			 Citicorp-TTI
			 Santa Monica CA 90405
			 (213) 450-9111 x2273

	      {randvax,trwrb,vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcb!cushner

    ** The above comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of   **
    ** Citicorp-TTI and if the corporation wants them to, they'll have **
    ** to pay through the nose for the rights!                         **

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/12/86)

In article <677@ttidcb.UUCP> cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) writes:

>Then why hasn't anyone named a craft the USS Titanic or the USS
>Hindenburgh(sp), for example?

Neither of those vehicles were American. I suspect the notoriety of the
circumstances surrounding the demise of any craft is taken into account
when re-using a name. There's nothing that says there *couldn't* be a
new Titanic, but I suspect passengers might be hard to find. :-)

--MKR

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (02/13/86)

In article <500@cisden.UUCP> lmc@cisden.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) writes:
>> Keep in mind that the names of most of the shuttles
>> are the names of old sailing ships.  There is no taboo
>> against re-using the name of a ship that has been
>> lost, as far as I know.
>
>lore. Does anyone know the original derivation of Enterprise (*original*,
>not just WWII or Stardate 5566899...), Challenger, or Columbia? It says
>they were named after American warships and exploration vessels.

Enterprise was originally (I *think*, it's been a while) a clipper ship.
I do know for a fact that the current USS Enterprise aircraft carrier
is the 8th US ship by that name (I guess that makes Enterprise the shuttle
the 9th "ship" to carry the name).
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (02/20/86)

   While were're on the subject of the Enterprise, I have a couple questions
since I just recently (before the Challenger incident) began actually
following the shuttle missions.  (I have been interested in astronomy for
some time now, I just never got around to following the shuttle).
   Anyway, I know there was a shuttle named Enterprise.  Now, what ever
became of it? I know that it was on display at the World's Fair, but was the
Enterprise just a prototype or what?
   Also, I remember hearing a rumor that one of the shuttles fell off the back
of the 747 that was carrying it.  Is there any truth to this?  (It was quite
some time ago that I heard this...)
--
     Adrian Zannin
     SUNY at Buffalo Computer Science

..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin
CSNET:    ugzannin@Buffalo.CSNET
ARPANET:  ugzannin%Buffalo@csnet-relay.ARPA
BITNET:   ugzannin@sunybcs.BITNET