[comp.sys.mac.hardware] New Mac Prices

gmohr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Gordon J. Mohr) (10/17/90)

--
Now that the new Macs are here, anyone up for comparing campus prices?
I'll start the ball rolling... these prices were advertised in our
campus paper by the University educational outlet

Computer                              MSRP     Educational Discount Price
Classic w/2M ram & 40M HD             $1499    $1150 [nice!]
IIsi w/2M ram, 40M HD, 13'color,keybd $4517    $2897 [only +$672 from SE/30]

The price of the IIci also caught my eye:
w/4M ram, 80M HD, 13"RGBcolor, xkeybd $9486    $4707 [WOW! over 50% off]

Is that suggested retail price way off for the IIci?

How do these prices compare to other campuses? (or should that be campi?:-)

-Gordon Mohr
gmohr@ocf.berkeley.edu

P.S. That should be inches, not feet, for the IIsi. Maybe someday we'll
get 13 foot color monitors though....

smedley@math.udel.edu (Trevor Smedley) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct17.082907.17581@agate.berkeley.edu>,
gmohr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Gordon J. Mohr) writes:
|> --
|> Now that the new Macs are here, anyone up for comparing campus prices?

Here are the prices at the University of Delaware:

Those marked * come with  the AppleColor High Resolution 13" RGB
monitor.  Only the Classics include a keyboard.

Classic 1M	 $744.45
Classic 2/40 *	$1117.20
IIsi 2/40  *	$2661.75
IIsi 5/80 *	$3148.95

While we're at it, a few oldies...

IIci 4M *	$3938.55  (This has _no_ hard drive)
IIci 4/80 *	$4370.10
IIfx 4M *	$6230.70  (Also no hard drive)
IIfx 4/80 *	$6770.40
IIfx 4/160 *	$7426.65

All of the IIfx models include the Macintosh Display Card 8*24

Has anyone heard what the discount will be for the LC when it comes out?
If it's less than $2000, is anyone interested in buying a Plus with 2.5
Meg and a 30 Meg Dataframe hard drive?

Trevor Smedley
smedley@udel.edu

ogil@quads.uchicago.edu (Brian W. Ogilvie) (10/18/90)

I started a thread on this subject about a week and a half ago on
comp.sys.mac.misc, as it seemed to deal not with the hardware but
with its marketing. If anyone wants a summary of the results over
there so far, drop me a note and I'll mail it to you. In the interest
of preserving sanity (i.e. avoiding schizophrenia), would anyone
mind if this discussion were carried on over there? The thread is
(or was) called "Consortium prices on new macs".

--
Brian W. Ogilvie           "Find a need and fool it!"
ogil@midway.uchicago.edu              --Zippy the Pinhead

FHSJFC@BYUVM.BITNET (10/18/90)

HERE ARE THE NEW MAC PRICES AT BYU.

What you get                     BYU student/faculty/staff price.
Classic, 2MB, 40MB HD, keyborad           $1224.
IIsi, 1MB, 40MB HD                        $2360 (about that).
IIsi, 4MB, 80MB HD                        $2810.

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (William V. Smith) (10/18/90)

>HERE ARE THE NEW MAC PRICES AT BYU.

>What you get                     BYU student/faculty/staff price.
>Classic, 2MB, 40MB HD, keyborad           $1224.
>IIsi, 1MB, 40MB HD                        $2360 (about that).
>IIsi, 4MB, 80MB HD                        $2810.

You can get a NeXTstation with 17in monitor, builtin eternet(both
thin wire and twisted pair) 105 MB drive bundled software, UNIX,
virtual memory, 8 MB ram, 68040, for $3199.00 at the same bookstore.

hhwong@aludra.usc.edu (Henry Hwong) (10/18/90)

Well, here at SC, the prices don't seem to be match for what's at Cal.

Here they are:

Classic (1Meg RAM, 2 FDHD)  $888
        (2Meg RAM, 40MB HD) $1332  <--not such a great deal!

IIsi    (2/40)              $2729
        (5/80)              $3244

-Henry Hwong (hhwong@usc.edu & hkhwong@owlnet.rice.edu)

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (10/18/90)

In article <SMITHW.90Oct17162434@hamblin.hamblin.math.byu.edu> smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (William V. Smith) writes:
>Some other guy <whoknows@whereisit.edu> writes:
>>HERE ARE THE NEW MAC PRICES AT BYU.
>> [...list of Macintosh prices...]
>
>You can get a NeXTstation with 17in monitor, builtin eternet(both
>thin wire and twisted pair) 105 MB drive bundled software, UNIX,
>virtual memory, 8 MB ram, 68040, for $3199.00 at the same bookstore.

Warning.  Anti-NeXT agitprop follows...

	A) Was anyone asking about the NeXTstation prices?  No.

	B) No, you can't get it.  Motorola still isn't mass-producing
	   the 68040, so Steve can't get his chips.  Yet.

	C) "All I need is Improv and WriteNow...
	    All I need is Improv and WriteNow...
	    All I need is Improv and WriteNow..."
	   No matter how many times you say it, it still ain't true.

	D) Does anyone -really- have need for home Ethernet?  I know
	   I really need to ftp to my microwave...

	And of course, read in smileys and <grin>s as needed.

	Disclaimer:  Lies.  Damn lies.

| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
|_  "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl; because it hurts like hell..."  _|

dtroup@carroll1.cc.edu (David C. Troup) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct17.082907.17581@agate.berkeley.edu> gmohr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Gordon J. Mohr) writes:

>The price of the IIci also caught my eye:
>w/4M ram, 80M HD, 13"RGBcolor, xkeybd $9486    $4707 [WOW! over 50% off]
>
>How do these prices compare to other campuses? (or should that be campi?:-)

	I just ordered my IIci, 4mb RAM, 80mb AU/X drive, 13" color, AU/X
	manuals, extended keyboard for like $4800! (without tax and shipping)

	Not too bad. I'm REAL glad I waited when I ordered!

--
           David C. Troup                       |"Im going to work at an office
       dtroup@carroll1.cc.edu                   | that has no phone, and
                                                | returning home with sandy
The Surf Rat - DC 12 on Neil Pryde and Seatrend | feet."

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (10/20/90)

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

> 	A) Was anyone asking about the NeXTstation prices?  No.

You may not have been asking, but there are others, believe it or not,
that do read this newsgroup and were interested in the comparison.

Points B, C, and D purposely avoided. Those that read the original post
may understand why.

John