[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Desk{Jet,Writer} on Macintosh?

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/19/90)

I'm sure this has been asked a millions times, sorry.  If you have a summary,
please forward to me, thanks.

Is it possible to use Hewlett Packard DeskJet (normal or plus) or DeskWriter
printers with a Macintosh (in general, but IIsi in particular)?  What does
one need (besides the printer, obviously).

Assuming the answer is yes, do they work with ATM?

Are there any known application incompatibility problems?
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

kam@dlogics.COM (Kevin Mitchell) (10/19/90)

In article <3300@uakari.primate.wisc.edu>, bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
> Is it possible to use Hewlett Packard DeskJet (normal or plus) or DeskWriter
> printers with a Macintosh (in general, but IIsi in particular)?  What does
> one need (besides the printer, obviously).

The DeskJet requires a special driver and is not real fast.

The DeskWriter requires your choice of (1) a DIN-8 printer cable, or (2)
two DIN-8 LocalTalk boxes. The DW interfaces via high-speed serial or LocalTalk
(you can share it between computers).

The DeskWriter works like a charm with ATM. I use it with the "Use High
Resolution Printer Fonts" box unchecked. If you use ATM, skip installing the
(2 disks of) HP fonts.

Prints listings real nice in 9-point Monaco (Precision Bitmap), or 7 point
courier.

Only drawback is(was) the water-soluable ink. New non-soluble ink cartridges
are starting to ship.

At $650 (discounted), I'll be surprised if Apple ever sells another ImageWriter
II.

No, I don't work for HP. Just a satisfied customer.

--
Kevin A. Mitchell                (312) 266-4485
Datalogics, Inc                  Internet: kam@dlogics.UUCP

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (10/19/90)

In article <3300@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>Is it possible to use Hewlett Packard DeskJet (normal or plus) or DeskWriter
>printers with a Macintosh (in general, but IIsi in particular)?  What does
>one need (besides the printer, obviously).

Okay, here goes... the DeskJet is HP's printer for the IBM world, the DeskWriter
was _specifically_ designed to interface properly in the Macintosh world. The
only additional hardware you need to connect a DeskWriter to a Mac is a standard
cable (I use my old ImageWriter II cable). To use a DeskJet with the Mac, you
suffer in that you need to purchase a software driver and that the quality of
your output will suffer. In short, if you're using a Mac get the DeskWriter.

>Assuming the answer is yes, do they work with ATM?

The DeskWriter most definitely _DOES_ work with ATM. And quite nicely, I might
add. People have a hard time distinguishing its output from a LaserWriter (at
least until I tell them it came from a Ink Jet printer.. heh).

>Are there any known application incompatibility problems?

Yes, there were. However, I believe that the new version of the driver software
(now A.02.00) should solve these problems. For a complete list, call HP Customer
Support (where you'll actually _get_ support!).

Regards,

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (10/19/90)

 Prints listings real nice in 9-point Monaco (Precision Bitmap), or 7 point
 courier.

Does the precision bitmap setting really affect font appearance?
--
please let me know if you see multiple copies of my postings
  (one copy of my opinion is one too many right :-)

-george   @sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu

kam@dlogics.COM (Kevin Mitchell) (10/20/90)

Turning on Precision Bitmaps and having only the size of the font that you
see on the screen in your system file results in 72 dpi blocky print, which is nice
for program listings. With PB off, you get distortion just like in bitmap
images.

--

jkain@cica.cica.indiana.edu (jkain) (10/21/90)

In <1990Oct19.104043.5058@rodan.acs.syr.edu> wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) writes:

>cable (I use my old ImageWriter II cable). To use a DeskJet with the Mac, you
>suffer in that you need to purchase a software driver and that the quality of
>your output will suffer. In short, if you're using a Mac get the DeskWriter.

Your output will not "suffer" if you use a DeskJet or DeskJet+.  How
could it, since they use the exact same printing mechanism/resolution?
All of the driver software supports ATM at 300 DPI, so unless Bill's
DeskWriter can go higher than 300 DPI you will not notice a difference
in output quality.

The DeskJet+ has some advantages over the DeskWriter:  it supports
cartridge fonts which print at very high speed (45 sec. / page).
They look very nice and are compatible with MacPrint driver software.
And perhaps the strongest advantage of the DeskJet(+) is that if you
ever decide to get a computer other than a Macintosh, your DeskJet
can go with you, whereas the DeskWriter is restricted to Macintoshes.