[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Is the SE30 going too???

epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com (payne edward 01471) (10/10/90)

	Judging by what I've been reading here lately, I may be in for a
surprize.  I ordered an SE30 without a hard drive thinking that I would
install a better one (big mistake).  They informed me that I would have to wait
8 weeks for it.  I talked them into letting me pay for it after 4 weeks.  The
total came to $2168 for SE30, Ext keyboard, tax, and shipping.  Now, I'm
nervous with all these new macs coming out and one post saying that the IIsi
will replace the SE30.
	I don't know if I'm past the point of no return yet.  Surely Apple
wouldn't abandon the top of the line "Toaster Mac" or is the SE30 toast.
Does anyone have any calm, reassuring words for me, or do I sit back and accept
what happens.
					Thanks!,
					(from an SE owner who recently sold
					it to buy an SE30)
Ed Payne                              |	USMail:	Ed Payne
Harris Corp. GASD                     | 	3365 Wedgewood Dr. #304
Melbourne, Fl.                        |		Palm Bay, Fl.
...epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com        |			32905
...uunet!x102a!epayne                 |
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
					-Monty Python's Michael Palin

	It makes all the difference whether one sees darkness
through the light or brightness through the shadows.
					-David Lindsay

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (10/11/90)

In article <4461@trantor.harris-atd.com> epayne@x102a.ess.harris.com (payne edward 01471) writes:

>	Judging by what I've been reading here lately, I may be in for a
>surprize.  I ordered an SE30 without a hard drive thinking that I would
>install a better one (big mistake).  They informed me that I would have to wait
>8 weeks for it.

[...]

>	I don't know if I'm past the point of no return yet.  Surely Apple
>wouldn't abandon the top of the line "Toaster Mac" or is the SE30 toast.
>Does anyone have any calm, reassuring words for me, or do I sit back and accept
>what happens.

I was in at a dealer last Friday. Some of this came up. He said production
of the SE/30 and the IIci was halted until January, so the chipsets could
be used in the new products.

I was in 4 dealers total. Inventory of the SE/30 and IIci was little
or none.

jim
--
Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6115
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

The.Shredder......@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (The Shredder......) (10/15/90)

Hi Ed, I just bought an SE/30 too, almost sold it...

These rumors about the IISI replacing the SE/30 seem to be quite humorous
to me.  Seeing that a IISI with a color monitor is going to cost you over
$4,000.  If you're worried about it happening, cancel or sell your SE/30
and fork out the extra $2,000 for a IISI.  I wouldn't do it personally.
Heck, the LC doesn't even come with PMU or a math co-processor, so forget
about virtual memory with it.  I was considering it because of the color,
but it would be a drop in computer horsepower.

Ed, I'm going to stick with my SE/30.  In my opinion it is the most
affordable mac that offers a lot of quality and performance.  Heck, Apple
may even come up with upgrades for those who have 030's to go to 20 mhz
or something, I dunno.  I am hoping color monitors will drop in
price!!!!!  Arrrgh...  :)

--
The Shredder...... via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!343!31!The.Shredder......

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (10/20/90)

Even if Apple drops the SE/30, those who just bought one are not
really screwed.

First of all, the SE/30 looks pretty much like a Mac II to software.
So you are not going to suddenly stop being able to by software.
You will be able to by software for it as long as those with the
newer machines are able to get software.

Secondly, there are enough of them suckers out there that people
will keep selling cards for it, so you don't have to worry about
that.  You will still be able to get video cards and network
cards and stuff like that.

You will probably even still see new cards for it.  It is easier to
design a card for it than for the NuBus machines, so there is no
reason for a card maker not to do an SE/30 card if they are also
doing a card for a NuBus Mac.  And if they are doing a card for
a NuBus Mac, then they are doing SE/30 software, because the
SE/30 ROM makes the SE/30 slot look like a NuBus to card driver
software.

Apple did very good with that.  Too good, in fact.  When the SE/30
came out, I kept expecting Dove to send me one, since I wrote their
NuBus ethernet drivers, and I knew they were doing a card for the
SE/30.  They never did send me one, because the drivers for their
NuBus card worked with absolutely no change with their SE/30
card, so it turns out I had already done the SE/30 software without
ever having gotten an SE/30. :-(  I knew I should have put an explicit
check for machine type in there.... :-)

In summary, even if they drop the SE/30, you are really no worse
off then those of us who have Mac II's (the ones without all the
extra letters).

In fact, it was rather nice when they got rid of the II.  A few months
after they announced the demise of the IIo, they offered a special
deal to developers in order to get rid of the last few II's.  The
deal was something like a Mac II, 4 meg, 40 meg hard disk for around
$2300 or something like that.

If only they would drop the IIfx soon! :-)

							Tim Smith

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (10/21/90)

In article <35055@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
>Secondly, there are enough of them suckers [ SE/30s ] out there that people
>will keep selling cards for it, so you don't have to worry about
>that.  You will still be able to get video cards and network
>cards and stuff like that.

  Also, remember that the IIsi can be configured with a NuBus or
SE/30-compatible slot.  Thus, there will be a market even if all the owners
of the SE/30 suffer a mass delusion and sell out for the new NeXT machines.

<<  Time to duck  >>  :-)

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********