[comp.sys.mac.hardware] NEW MAC INFO

mece1ui@jetson.uh.edu (10/16/90)

After attending the Apple new products show,
I obtain the following information about new MacLC and MacIIsi.

MacLC	16-MHz 68020
	020 Direct Slot
	2MB RAM (expandable to 10MB)
	512k VRAM (optional)
	Stereo sound input and output
	Apple IIe card (optional)
	Build in 8-bit Video output
	40 MB internal drive
	(Two drives configuration is only for high education)

MacIIsi	20-MHz 68030
	68882 (optional)
	2MB RAM (expandable to 17MB RAM)
	MacIIsi NuBus Adapter Card or 030 Direct Slot Adapter Card
		(both of them include 68882 co-processor)
	Buil in 8-bit Video output
	Stereo soud input and output
	40 or 80 MB internal drive

Both machines come with superdrives.

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/18/90)

In article <7204.2719ed8b@jetson.uh.edu> mece1ui@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>After attending the Apple new products show,
>I obtain the following information about new MacLC and MacIIsi.
>
>MacLC	16-MHz 68020
[stuff deleted...]
>	Stereo sound input and output
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	WRONG!!  Should read monaural input, stereo output.

>	Apple IIe card (optional)
>	Build in 8-bit Video output
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	WRONG!!  Should read Built-in 8-bit Video support.
	The LC only has 4 bit output unless you replace the 256K VRAM SIMM with
	the optional 512K VRAM SIMM to turn it into 8 bits.
>	40 MB internal drive
	This is not wrong :) but you can get it with 1 floppy and no hard disks.
>	(Two drives configuration is only for high education)
>
>MacIIsi	20-MHz 68030
>	68882 (optional)
>	2MB RAM (expandable to 17MB RAM)
>	MacIIsi NuBus Adapter Card or 030 Direct Slot Adapter Card
>		(both of them include 68882 co-processor)
>	Buil in 8-bit Video output
>	Stereo soud input and output
	Read this point in specs for LC above.
>	40 or 80 MB internal drive
>
>Both machines come with superdrives.
	Of course ALL Macs now come with FDHDs.

**My employers don't understand me, so I guess I'm on my own when I speak out**
Norton Chia		|	I *think* my address is
Micro Support		|		carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct18.025321.17403@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) writes:
>In article <7204.2719ed8b@jetson.uh.edu> mece1ui@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>>After attending the Apple new products show,
>>I obtain the following information about new MacLC and MacIIsi.
>>
>>MacLC	16-MHz 68020
>[stuff deleted...]
>>	Stereo sound input and output
>	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>	WRONG!!  Should read monaural input, stereo output.

	Sorry, Charlie.  The input -is- stereo (check the plug), and
Apple even provides an adaptor from the 3mm stereo jack to 2 RCA
jacks.  The little silver-dollar-sized microphone, though, -is- a
monaural input device.

>>	Build in 8-bit Video output
>	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>	WRONG!!  Should read Built-in 8-bit Video support.
>	The LC only has 4 bit output unless you replace the 256K VRAM SIMM with
>	the optional 512K VRAM SIMM to turn it into 8 bits.

	You're sort of wrong here.  The LC supports 8-bit video on the
new 12-inch RGB monitor (512 x 384).  You need the extra VRAM for
8-bit on the 12-inch monochrome monitor (640 x 480) or on the 13-inch
RGB (640 x 480).  Legacy of the LC's 4-bit intentions...

	A couple of folks at Apple confirmed that the switch-over on
the Mac LC from 4-bit to 8-bit video is the reason for the late
availability of the Mac LC (Q1 1991).  According to one guy, they gave
the LC to the folks at Camp Apple this summer and said, "Look, we're
going to give you 4-bit color!" and the educators said, en masse,
"Ick.  We want 8-bit."

	So it seems that the prop about not wanting to release the LC
until the Apple IIe card was ready is exactly that - prop.

	I want a IIsi anyways.  <grin>

| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
|_  "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl; because it hurts like hell..."  _|

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (10/19/90)

In article <5816@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
> In article <1990Oct18.025321.17403@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU>
carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) writes:
> >In article <7204.2719ed8b@jetson.uh.edu> mece1ui@jetson.uh.edu writes:
> >>After attending the Apple new products show,
> >>I obtain the following information about new MacLC and MacIIsi.
> >>
> >>MacLC 16-MHz 68020
> >[stuff deleted...]
> >>      Stereo sound input and output
> >       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >       WRONG!!  Should read monaural input, stereo output.
>
>         Sorry, Charlie.  The input -is- stereo (check the plug), and
> Apple even provides an adaptor from the 3mm stereo jack to 2 RCA
> jacks.  The little silver-dollar-sized microphone, though, -is- a
> monaural input device.

You're both wrong.  Stereo jacks do not necessarily mean that the internal
circuitry supports stereo.  The official Apple Computer Technical
Specifications sheet reads:

Sound input
* Monaural 8-bit sound
* Sound samples can be made at 22 or 11 kilohertz.
* Macintosh Audio Compression Expansion (MACE) sound utility,
supporting 3:1 or 6:1 compresssion, which allows approximately
half an hour of sound to be stored on a sinble 40-megabyte hard disk.

Sound generator
* Monophonic 8-bit digital-analog conversion using 22-kilohertz
sample rate--capable of supplying the same signal to both channels
of sereo headphones or other stereo equipment through the sound jack.

I.e. both input and output are mono only!  Too bad ...

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail:  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/22/90)

In article <5816@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>In article <1990Oct18.025321.17403@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) writes:
>>In article <7204.2719ed8b@jetson.uh.edu> mece1ui@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>>>After attending the Apple new products show,
>>>I obtain the following information about new MacLC and MacIIsi.
>>>
>>>MacLC	16-MHz 68020
>>[stuff deleted...]
>>>	Stereo sound input and output
>>	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>	WRONG!!  Should read monaural input, stereo output.
>
>	Sorry, Charlie.  The input -is- stereo (check the plug), and
>Apple even provides an adaptor from the 3mm stereo jack to 2 RCA
>jacks.  The little silver-dollar-sized microphone, though, -is- a
>monaural input device.

I'd check with this one first.  I DON'T think it is stereo INPUT!

>>>	Build in 8-bit Video output
>>	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>	WRONG!!  Should read Built-in 8-bit Video support.
>>	The LC only has 4 bit output unless you replace the 256K VRAM SIMM with
>>	the optional 512K VRAM SIMM to turn it into 8 bits.
>
>	You're sort of wrong here.  The LC supports 8-bit video on the
>new 12-inch RGB monitor (512 x 384).  You need the extra VRAM for
>8-bit on the 12-inch monochrome monitor (640 x 480) or on the 13-inch
>RGB (640 x 480).  Legacy of the LC's 4-bit intentions...

I'm DEFINITELY in the wrong here!! :^(  Adding the VRAM gives 16 bit (some say
15, for 32000 colours, you work it out :) I should have checked this one.

Also, a general warning to all those people who potentially want to run //e
software on the LC.  The first shippment of the 12" colour monitor will NOT
support the scan rate of the //e requirements.  This is fine as long as you'll
never want to use it for //e s/w tho'.  The "correct" version will ship when
the //e card ships.  Maybe they'll even put an apple on the monitor :)