[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac hard disk speed vs. cost

costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) (10/20/90)

What's the approximate access time for internal Mac hard disks
that come installed from Apple?  I'm most interested in 40 meg disks.

Prices for Quantum external hard disks with 12ms access times
in the back of MacWorld are as low as $430.  Am I right in assuming
that Mac hard disks are not quite as fast?  Does anyone have any
experience with such Quantum drives?

-dan

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (10/20/90)

costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) writes:

> What's the approximate access time for internal Mac hard disks
> that come installed from Apple?  I'm most interested in 40 meg disks.
>
> Prices for Quantum external hard disks with 12ms access times
> in the back of MacWorld are as low as $430.  Am I right in assuming
> that Mac hard disks are not quite as fast?  Does anyone have any
> experience with such Quantum drives?

Unless this has recently changed, the drives shipped from Apple in the
interal configuration are Quantum mechanisms. I don't think they are
using the cache configured ones so I would expect access times of roughly
19 ms.

John

In article <208@cogsci.ucsd.EDU> costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) writes:
>What's the approximate access time for internal Mac hard disks
>that come installed from Apple?  I'm most interested in 40 meg disks.
>
>Prices for Quantum external hard disks with 12ms access times
>in the back of MacWorld are as low as $430.  Am I right in assuming
>that Mac hard disks are not quite as fast?  Does anyone have any
>experience with such Quantum drives?

The hard drives that come with Macs seem to either be Sonys, Seagates, or
Quantums.  The Quantums are of the same series as those sold in the back of
MacWorld, etc.  The Seagates (if they still sell them) are slower.  I don't
know about the Sonys.  (There are also 5.25 quantums-- I don't know if they
sell them in the IIfx)