[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Postscript Printers

fc156111@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) (10/17/90)

We would like to hear from anyone using Postscript (AppleTalk ready) printers
than Apple's LaserWriter?

Any suggestions?  Please include comments on multi-bin feeders (envelopes,
letterhead, etc).

Thanks in advance.
--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)              Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: fc156111@seas.gwu.edu                Office of Management & Budget

stoffel@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (Stoffel) (10/23/90)

Sorry, I tried to mail this, but it bounced.

In article <1990Oct19.203526.1613@cbnewsi.att.com> tanju@cbnewsi.att.com (tanju.cataltepe) writes:
>Hello,
>
>How can I print color images from MacDraw on a Unix postscript printer?
>
>When I generate the postscript file a dialog asks me if I want color
>or not, I choose color. But when I transfer it to the Unix machine
>and send it to the printer all colors come out black. I have no
>problems in printing b&w drawings with this method.
>
>I am using Laserwiter driver version 5.2 (and the same version of
>LaserPrep).

I'm no expert, but I just installed a Tektronix color printer. In their
documentation they state; "To print [in color] from the MAC you MUST
HAVE the latest Apple Laserwriter printer driver that supports color
PostScript." "...LaserWriter 5.2, which DOES NOT PRINT COLOR POSTSCRIPT
CORRECTLY."

I don't know if the same is true in your case, but it sounds like the
same situation. I too got only b&w until I replaced the driver (and
laser prep) files. (As usual, I tried it before I RTFM).

Fortunately, Tektronix shipped the driver and prep with the printer,
but you should be able to pick up what you need locally.

Hope this helps.
Bill

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/23/90)

You need Laserwriter 6.0 and Laser Prep 6.0 to print color.
Laserwriter 6.0 is available via ftp from apple.com.  It is part of
the "System 6.0 printing tools" (which also include 32-bit quickdraw).