[comp.sys.mac.hardware] New mac "packages"

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (10/21/90)

I was wondering why the new macintoshes (w/ the exception of the Classic)
are only sold with a hard disk ... will it be possible to buy these
machines in the future with more than the two HD's that are offered (say
something around 200MB)?  Will they ever be sold without hard disks?  I
could see them becoming *REALLY CHEAP* if they were sold without the apple-
included hard disks.

Any thoughts, comments or flames?

--Brad

Brad Hathaway
work phone: (412) 268-8454
email:bh11@andrew.cmu.edu

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (10/22/90)

In article <ob8CJ0G00WBKM1zUxn@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:
>I was wondering why the new macintoshes (w/ the exception of the Classic)
>are only sold with a hard disk ...

	Apple is selling all their machines with hard drives for the
basic reason that Macintosh System Software pretty much requires a
hard drive to be very useful - and you will -have- to have a hard
drive for System 7.0.  (Although rumors abound that you'll be able to
make an extremely emasculated 7.0 run off a 1.4 meg floppy).

	Besides, it gets people to use their machine more.  People
often buy the cheapest configuration availible - usually the one w/out
a HD.  And with only one (maybe two) floppy(s), they can't get much
out of their machine, and label it useless.

	As for availibility of -big- drives, you can always get the
Mac with the smallest drive availible, then slap on a huge external.
Considering that most of the Macs now need 1" high and/or 3.5" HDs,
the monster drives just don't fit in the case.

	And I doubt the 20 meg drive is -really- adding that much to
the price of the machines.

| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
|_  "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl; because it hurts like hell..."  _|

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (10/23/90)

In article <ob8CJ0G00WBKM1zUxn@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Braddock John Hathaway) writes:
> I was wondering why the new macintoshes (w/ the exception of the Classic)
> are only sold with a hard disk ... will it be possible to buy these
> machines in the future with more than the two HD's that are offered (say
> something around 200MB)?  Will they ever be sold without hard disks?  I
> could see them becoming *REALLY CHEAP* if they were sold without the
> apple-included hard disks.

It is my understanding that the Mac LC will be available in "educational
markets" in single and dual floppy versions.

It is my understanding that the Mac IIsi will be available in "federal
markets" in a floppy only version. (I assume that some of these "federal
users" are only permitted to use removable media systems, where the media
is locked in vaults when not being used.)

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000