[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Anyone have hard drive info?

c60b-4av@web-1a.berkeley.edu (Gary Arnold) (10/22/90)

I'm in the market for a hard drive for a Mac Plus.  I want a 40-45 meg
drive for $700 or less.  Can anyone give me information about the
different drives out there that fall in this category?  What do you
like/not like about them?  Specifically, I've been looking at the
GCC Ultradrive 45, and Aplle hard drives (student discount reduces
price, ya know! ;-).  Any information would be appreciated!

Gary Arnold
c60b-4av@WEB.berkeley.edu

--------------------------------+---------------------------------------
//// Gary Arnold                | "We can go where we want to,
|..| c60b-4av@WEB.berkeley.edu  |  A place that they will never find.
|/ |                            |  And we can act like we come from

bkuo@girtab.usc.edu (Benjamin Kuo) (10/23/90)

That's easy. ANYTHING 40-45MB and NOT under $700 by now is grossly overpriced,
a joke, and not worth buying... As for Apple HD's, they are not worth the
price (and student discounts do NOTHING for you, what's $650 discounted vs.
$350 street for other drives?)

Try the back pages of MacWeek, MacUser, and MacWorld (in that order). If
you don't like the extremely cheap prices there, you can even spend $650 for
a Syquest 45MB removable...

Benjamin Kuo

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (10/24/90)

In article <12693@chaph.usc.edu> bkuo@girtab.usc.edu (Benjamin Kuo) writes:
>That's easy. ANYTHING 40-45MB and NOT under $700 by now is grossly overpriced,
>a joke, and not worth buying... As for Apple HD's, they are not worth the
>price (and student discounts do NOTHING for you, what's $650 discounted vs.

Yup, Yup, Yup!

I just ordered my brand new QUANTUM 40M drive with internal mounting brackets,
custom driver, fully formated with Apple's latest system software and 12Mbyte
of public domain software (wellllll....) for

             $309.00

From Alliance Peripheral systems. And guess what! It comes with a 2 year
warranty! (And shows up at my door in 2 days to boot!)

Never, never, never, no never buy perpherals from apple if you have EVER had to
consider how long it is to your next paycheck :-)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM