[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac IIsi SIMMs

bruner@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Bruner) (10/20/90)

I just picked up a university price list, and it has no mention of
memory upgrades for the IIsi.  I know that space is tight inside
the IIsi, so I'm curious whether normal SIMMs will fit.

Can one use any <= 100ns page mode SIMM's to upgrade a IIsi, or are
special low-profile SIMM's required?  If the latter, what is the
availability of such parts via mail-order (e.g., from The Chip
Merchant)?
--
John Bruner	Center for Supercomputing R&D, University of Illinois
	bruner@csrd.uiuc.edu		(217) 244-4476

costin@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Dan Costin) (10/20/90)

I talked to the Chip Merchant today and they said that you just
use regular Mac SIMMS (80ns) for the IIsi.  $37 ea., and
I think you need to buy 4 due to the architecture of the IIsi.

-dan

sharp@cs-sun-fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (10/20/90)

In article <BRUNER.90Oct19125138@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu> bruner@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Bruner) writes:
>the IIsi, so I'm curious whether normal SIMMs will fit.
>
>Can one use any <= 100ns page mode SIMM's to upgrade a IIsi, or are

Hiya,

    According to my handy dandy spec sheet. The IIsi takes NORMAL
100ns or faster fast-paged SIMMs. In other words, the same ones that
you have always purchased. Anywhere you can buy SIMMs now will do
(including the 4Meg variety).

	maurice

P.S. the IIsi has only 4 slots, there is 1meg on board.

--
Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (10/21/90)

In article <209@cogsci.ucsd.EDU> costin@cogsci (Dan Costin) writes:
>I talked to the Chip Merchant today and they said that you just
>use regular Mac SIMMS (80ns) for the IIsi.  $37 ea., and
>I think you need to buy 4 due to the architecture of the IIsi.

Both the LC and IIsi can use the IIci's SIMMs (I have done so).  On the LC
you don't NEED that fast of RAM, but it doesn't hurt to use it (nothing
happens any faster with faster RAM, just as always).

As to some of the other questions:
(1)The IIsi and LC have 2 banks of RAM, 1 bank that is soldered in and one bank
 that you can put SIMMs in.  So all of the regular "bank" rules hold: all SIMMs
 must be of the same size and though you can mix speeds of RAM, they must all
 be at least as fast as recommended.

(2) The IIsi works just like the IIci in that the screen memory for the
    on-board video comes out of the same RAM that your programs use; the LC
    has its own video RAM (so there's no competition between the CPU and video
    on the LC as there is on the IIci and IIsi).

(3) Neither the LC nor the IIsi come with an FPU; both support one.  Apple
    will be releasing a NUBUS adapter card for the IIsi that will include
    an FPU; 3rd parties are releasing cards for the LC that include an FPU.

(4) LC's RAM configurations are: (2 RAM SIMM sockets)
    2mb (no SIMMs), 4mb (2 1mb SIMMs), 6 (2 2mb SIMMs), and 10 (2 4mb SIMMs)

(5) LC's video RAM configuration is: (same SIMM as 8x24 card uses)
    (a) 256K: supports the 512x384 monitor up to 8bits/pix (others 4bits/pixel)
    (b) 512K: supports the 512x384 up to 16bits/pixel; others at 8 bits/pixel.

(6) The IIsi's RAM configurations are: (4 RAM SIMM sockets)
    1mb (no SIMMs), 2mb (4 256K SIMMs), 3mb (4 512K SIMMs), 5mb (4 1mb SIMMs),
    9mb (4 2mb SIMMs), 17mb (4 4mb SIMMs), and (POSSIBLY) 65mb (4 16mb SIMMs).

(7) Apple is not shipping the 512K SIMMs and 2mb SIMMs yet; I'm not real sure
    when they will be (my personal opinion will be that 3rd parties will come
    with them 1st and cheaper, but that's just an historical observation).

Hope this helps,
Mark --
---------------------------------
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering
AppleLink: Dawson.M

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different
---------------------------------

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (10/23/90)

In article <BRUNER.90Oct19125138@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu> bruner@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Bruner) writes:

>Can one use any <= 100ns page mode SIMM's to upgrade a IIsi, or are
>special low-profile SIMM's required?

Any 100ns or faster, fast page mode SIMMs.
The SIMMs are adjacent to the 512k ROM SIMM and it is *not* low profile,
so I doubt if you need to worry about low profile.

I took the 1 Meg SIMMs out of the MacRescue board in my 512ke and they
worked just fine. They were just 100ns generic PC SIMMs picked up at
a swap meet. They even have 9 bits each.

>--
>John Bruner	Center for Supercomputing R&D, University of Illinois
>	bruner@csrd.uiuc.edu		(217) 244-4476

jim

--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dan Schwarz) (10/24/90)

In article <BRUNER.90Oct19125138@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu> bruner@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Bruner) writes:
>Can one use any <= 100ns page mode SIMM's to upgrade a IIsi, or are
>special low-profile SIMM's required?  If the latter, what is the
>John Bruner	Center for Supercomputing R&D, University of Illinois

Based on my experience with the IIsi (been working with one for three months :)
any old 100ns SIMMs will fit & work just fine. Now that the RAM crunch is
over, you should have absolutely no problem getting low-profile SIMMs though.
That's what is usually sold, I believe.

You do have the restriction that whatever type of RAM you put in the system,
you must fill the entire bank with that kind of RAM. This means you must put
in four SIMMs of the same type and speed. 4 256k SIMMs, 4 1MB SIMMs, or 4 4MB
SIMMs. Rumor has it that 2MB SIMMs will be introduced in order for those of
us without bottomless wallets to upgrade to a healthy 9MB RAM system.

--
| some rise...         | Dan Schwarz, MB 2926 Brandeis U. | RECYCLE YOUR JUNK|
| some fall...         | I'NET dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  |------------------|