[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac II -> IIfx upgrade recommendations?

ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) (10/21/90)

I'd be really grateful to hear from anyone who has had the Mac II to Mac IIfx
upgrade done by an apple dealer (or otherwise), to get their reaction to the
overall experience.  Specific questions:

1. When they swap out the II mother board, do they expect you to return any
memory SIMMS (like the original 4 256K ones?)  I only have 4 1Mb simms in my
machine and would rather not give them up. (I can use them in a different mac,
not the fx).

2. My mac II has 2 800k floppy drives.  Should i remove one and save it before
the upgrade is performed?  Can I use the saved 800K floppy drive in my new
fx?  (I assume they take back one 800K floppy during the upgrade)

3. My mac II has a PMMU chip in it (I run A/UX).  I plan to put back the
original apple HMMU chip before the upgrade.  Any problems?

4. How long did your dealer take to do this all?  Did they screw up in any way?

Thanks, anyone.  Hope to hear some recomendations.  Please post to this group.
I'm sure others would like to know.
(an E-mailed copy would be appreciated, tho.)
--
Ken Stamm (ken@slhisc.uucp, sun.com!gotham!slhisc!ken) (212)341-3868
Shearson Lehman Brothers, 390 Greenwich St. 4W, New York NY 10013

melton@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Melton) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct21.135605.14296@slhisc.uucp> ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) writes:
>I'd be really grateful to hear from anyone who has had the Mac II to Mac IIfx
>upgrade done by an apple dealer (or otherwise), to get their reaction to the
>overall experience.  Specific questions:
>
>1. When they swap out the II mother board, do they expect you to return any
>memory SIMMS (like the original 4 256K ones?)  I only have 4 1Mb simms in my
>machine and would rather not give them up. (I can use them in a different mac,
>not the fx).

No, you don't have to return your RAM.

>2. My mac II has 2 800k floppy drives.  Should i remove one and save it before
>the upgrade is performed?  Can I use the saved 800K floppy drive in my new
>fx?  (I assume they take back one 800K floppy during the upgrade)

No, they don't take any 800k floppy drive with the upgrade, and yes you can
use an 800k floppy with your fx.  I recommend that you upgrade to a
superdrive though, just have an 800k drive and a superdrive side by
side.

>3. My mac II has a PMMU chip in it (I run A/UX).  I plan to put back the
>original apple HMMU chip before the upgrade.  Any problems?

I don't think so.

>4. How long did your dealer take to do this all?  Did they screw up in any way?

About an hour or so.  No screw-ups as far as I can tell.

Bill.