[net.columbia] Shuttle Attitude

ix1037@sdcc6.UUCP (Christopher Latham) (02/10/86)

I believe that the reason that the shuttle ascends in the attitude that
it does is so that the astronauts will always be in a positive G-force
situation during ascent. The path of the shuttle is a curve so in
addition to the force from acceleration there is also G-force from the
curvature of the path. The absolutely worst way to take G-forces is with
your head pointing in the direction of the force. So it makes sense to
have them head down relative to the earth.

Christopher Latham
U.C.San Diego
Dept. of Applied Mechanics
and Engineering Sciences
..sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix1037

skip@ubvax.UUCP (Skip Addison Jr) (02/11/86)

In article <2412@sdcc6.UUCP> ix1037@sdcc6.UUCP (Christopher Latham) writes:
>I believe that the reason that the shuttle ascends in the attitude that
>it does is so that the astronauts will always be in a positive G-force
>situation during ascent. The path of the shuttle is a curve so in
>addition to the force from acceleration there is also G-force from the
>curvature of the path. The absolutely worst way to take G-forces is with
>your head pointing in the direction of the force. So it makes sense to
>have them head down relative to the earth.
>
>Christopher Latham
>U.C.San Diego
>Dept. of Applied Mechanics
>and Engineering Sciences
>..sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix1037

What you've said would be true except that you haven't considered all the
forces.  Gravity is pulling them down.  Whether the shuttle passengers'
heads were pointed 'up' or 'down,' the trajectory of the shuttle could be
made to create positive G-forces.

Can anyone describe the accleration during takeoff, in terms of g's or
length per unit time squared?  I'm sure it's variable, but what are some
values at various stages?  What is the max?

-- Skip Addison
   {lll-crg, decwrl, ihnp4}!amdcad!cae780!ubvax!skip

dave@quest.UUCP (David Messer) (02/16/86)

> Can anyone describe the accleration during takeoff, in terms of g's or
> length per unit time squared?  I'm sure it's variable, but what are some
> values at various stages?  What is the max?

I don't know the G-load during the early part of the flight, but the
main engines throttle-down to maintain 3 G's toward the end of their
burn.  I beleive that 3 G's is the maximum acceleration that is used
in the entire flight.  Pretty gentle, huh?
--

David Messer   UUCP:  ...ihnp4!quest!dave
                      ...ihnp4!encore!vaxine!spark!14!415!sysop

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (02/21/86)

*** WHOMP DOWN ON THIS ONE TOO OK VERN? ***

> > Can anyone describe the accleration during takeoff, in terms of g's or
> > length per unit time squared?  I'm sure it's variable, but what are some
> > values at various stages?  What is the max?
>
> I don't know the G-load during the early part of the flight, but the
> main engines throttle-down to maintain 3 G's toward the end of their
> burn.  I believe that 3 G's is the maximum acceleration that is used
> in the entire flight.  Pretty gentle, huh?
>
> David Messer   UUCP:  ...ihnp4!quest!dave

Among it's many other attractions, hearing about the takeoff is one of the
things that makes me *really* want to take a ride on the Shuttle. I remember
reading a piece where one of the astronauts described it, and he said it
felt like a very fast, very smooth elevator.

--
 Gary Benson  *  John Fluke Mfg. Co.  *  PO Box C9090  *  Everett WA  *  98206
   MS/232-E  = =   {allegra} {uw-beaver} !fluke!inc   = =   (206)356-5367