[comp.sys.mac.hardware] my mac is crashing -- HELP!!

hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) (10/19/90)

I know, you hear it all the time.  This time I think I have a good
one.  System:

	1. system 6.0.5
	2. added heap space (256K Finder, 1500K System)
	3. 4 meg ram
	4. Macpassword, init-cdev 3.0, quickmail, sundesk icons, superclock,
	   blackbox, Apple CD-ROM, deskpict, public folder.
	5. Running multifinder 6.1b9

Symptoms: (started last week)
	1.  Applications frequently quit unexpectedly.
		(i.e. running microsoft word leave desk with two documents
		open, come back and find box saying msword quit unexpectedly.)
	2.  Intermitently unable to receive dynamic KIP numbers from the
		network (inconsistent to prove this is linked)
	3.  Screen suddenly turns to the best snow this side of the rockies.
	4.  On startup, intermitently get fast escalating tones and
		half screen black, half screen white.

How is this for a list?  Hope someone out there might be able to help.
If you have a suggestion, please email me.  Thanks for your help.

Charles

--
!===========================================================================!
! Charles H. Hemstreet IV       !internet: hemstree@handel.cs.Colostate.Edu !

   From: hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware
   Date: 18 Oct 90 19:43:06 GMT
   Sender: news@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU

[...]

Did I forget to mention that it was a mac II? (classic!)  Today it
crashed once again while I was working on it.  Minimum inits(blackbox,
superclock, macpassword, init-cdev), working in ncsa telnet...
suddenly short horizontal lines flash on the screen with a little
buzzing, then lockup.  I try to restart using programmers key and get
"minor chord" then slow escalating tones.  For about an hour it
wouldn't let me even boot it, kept getting tones.  Hour is up and
suddenly mac is raised from the dead.
--
!===========================================================================!

pasek@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (10/24/90)

In articles <HEMSTREE.90Oct18222530@handel.handel.CS.Colostate.Edu>
and <HEMSTREE.90Oct18134306@handel.handel.CS.Colostate.Edu>
hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) writes:
>[header deleted]
>   I know, you hear it all the time.  This time I think I have a good
>   one.  System:
>	   1. system 6.0.5
>	   2. added heap space (256K Finder, 1500K System)
>	   3. 4 meg ram
>	   4. Macpassword, init-cdev 3.0, quickmail, sundesk icons, superclock,
>	      blackbox, Apple CD-ROM, deskpict, public folder.
>	   5. Running multifinder 6.1b9
>   Symptoms: (started last week)
>	   1.  Applications frequently quit unexpectedly.
>		  (i.e. running microsoft word leave desk with two documents
>		  open, come back and find box saying msword quit unexpectedly.)
>	   2.  Intermitently unable to receive dynamic KIP numbers from the
>		   network (inconsistent to prove this is linked)
>	   3.  Screen suddenly turns to the best snow this side of the rockies.
>	   4.  On startup, intermitently get fast escalating tones and
>		   half screen black, half screen white.
>   How is this for a list?  Hope someone out there might be able to help.
>   If you have a suggestion, please email me.  Thanks for your help.
>
>Did I forget to mention that it was a mac II? (classic!)  Today it
>crashed once again while I was working on it.  Minimum inits(blackbox,
>superclock, macpassword, init-cdev), working in ncsa telnet...
>suddenly short horizontal lines flash on the screen with a little
>buzzing, then lockup.  I try to restart using programmers key and get
>"minor chord" then slow escalating tones.  For about an hour it
>wouldn't let me even boot it, kept getting tones.  Hour is up and
>suddenly mac is raised from the dead.

This, unfortunately, sounds VERY familiar, but I don't have any suggestions.
Here's our saga:
  In April of 1988, our company purchased 3 MacII's, 1 meg, single floppy,
Apple 8-bit video, mono monitor, 3rd party external 80meg drives.  These
systems upgraded to 5 meg in December 1988.  These machines are ALL running
today with no problems.
  In April of 1989, we purchase 1 more MacII, 2 meg, single floppy, Apple
8-bit video, mono monitor, 3rd party internal 70meg drive.  System runs
fine for about 1 year and a few months, then just starts crashing.  Hoping
that something is corrupted with the System/Finder, I reinstall the
system (using the Installer, of course!).  When I went to reinstall the
AppleShare Workstation software (again using the Installer), the Installer
would get a bomb (ID=12?) every time.  So, no Appleshare workstation software.
Need I mention that the budget was tight at this time, and mgmt. didn't want
to send the thing to the dealer until they knew how much it would cost ? :-(
They finally sent it to the dealer, who "didn't find anything wrong", but
amazingly, now the AppleShare Workstation software installed OK.  The system
still would crash occasionally (even when unattended).  Anyway, this system
was used in this "slightly functional" manner for the next year by this poor
person.  In June of this year, the system was "transferred" to another group
(mine, where the other 3 Macs were transferred long ago).  Thinking that the
problem MIGHT be with the memory, we decided to go ahead and get an additional
4 meg.  When this was installed, the crashes did not decrease in frequency.
Off to the dealer again.  THIS time, the dealer tech said he DID find some
failure "in the disk controller", that couldn't be fixed (not an Apple drive),
but was working -- at least temporarily.  He did acknowledge that it was a
"really intermittent" problem.  So, we figure "OK, let's get a new drive".
So we do.  With both drives hooked up (1 internal, 1 external), the failures
STILL occurred.  Disconnecting the supposedly "bad" internal drive had no
effect.  This system is STILL in this state, so if ANYONE has any ideas
out there, PLEASE let Mr. Hemstree or myself know what your idea is.
  BTW: Symptoms at failure:
         1) most commonly, "Application unexpectedly quit" will be the
            first sign.  This can be almost ANY application.  Note that
            this system does NOT have a pile of INITs.
         2) When it's going to go out to lunch all at once, the screen
            image will get "skewed" -- by this I mean that anywhere from
            3 or 4 pixels wide to 1/2 the screen will either have random
            garbage or be offset a couple of pixels to the right or left
            (almost like wet ink "smears" when you rub across it).
         3) When it has gone into the "hard failure" mode, attempts to
            restart (either by the RESET programmer's switch or by
            rear-panel power off and power-switch power on), you get
            the normal "bing" sound and then the 4-chord scale that
            means "dropped into Monitor ROM" or something like that
            (from the Diagnostic Sound Sampler).

M. A. Pasek               Software Development              NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668              MNI Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113