[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Connecting a Mac Computer to a an oll Epson Printer.

paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca (Nuno M. Paixao) (10/25/90)

Hello...

I want to connect an old Epson Printer, an LQ-1000 to a new Mac Classic.

Let me first give you a few specs on the printer:
	-24 Pin
	-Wide Carriage
	-Parrallel and Serial Connection
	-And other things....

Now, I was first told that I would have to buy a Grappler for a 24-pin
printer and that would do me the trick.

But recently, someone suggested that since I already had a serial interface,
all I would have to do is find the right cable, and the right software drivers
for the printer and I would be in business.

If this is the case, does any body know where I can get such software drivers?
I would prefer if they were Public Domain, as I don't want to dish out too
much cash.

					Nuno

--
Nuno M. Paixao    \\ PAIXAO@UG.CS.DAL.CA  \\  So I don't have an exciting
2319 Clifton St.  \\ DEXTER@AC.DAL.CA     \\  .SIGNATURE file.... If you

gwangung@milton.u.washington.edu (Roger Tang) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.170457.22446@cs.dal.ca> paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca (Nuno M. Paixao) writes:
>I want to connect an old Epson Printer, an LQ-1000 to a new Mac Classic.
>Let me first give you a few specs on the printer:
>	-24 Pin
>Now, I was first told that I would have to buy a Grappler for a 24-pin
>printer and that would do me the trick.

	Yes, it can......but not well from what I hear....

>But recently, someone suggested that since I already had a serial interface,
>all I would have to do is find the right cable, and the right software drivers
>for the printer and I would be in business.

	Well, Epson themselves manufactures a cable and software (an adaption
of Printworks software) to enable their 24-pin printers to work with a Mac.
It would be a Chooser-level thing......

	Granted, it does cost some bucks ($60 in Seattle...), but it IS less
than a Grappler.....

	And it does pretty decent work with Mac graphics......It's not
nearly typeset quality, but it does fine for drafts and for just getting
printed up in a hurry....