[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Need formatter/info for CDC WREN III w/Mac+

rmg@ultra.com (Rich Geiger) (10/25/90)

I have a CDC WREN II 150Mb (9 surface) drive which I want to format
(and install a SCSI driver on), for use with a Mac Plus.

Has anyone out there done this? I have SF&I and can seem to get the
drive to format, but, apparently after formatting, something fails
(writing the driver or DPM/DDM?), resulting in a System Error 19.

I also have a question about Unit Attention. This drive apparently
provides the Unit Attention feature, and can *not* be configured to
turn it off. From some of the notes that come with SF&I, it seems that
this can cause problems for Mac Plus's with "old ROMs". Can anybody
tell me whether there are indeed different versions of Mac Plus ROMS
that affect whether Unit Attention is or is not a problem? If so, can
you also tell me what version(s) of the ROMs include the fix?

I still have some things to fiddle with in an attempt to get it going,
but would be massively grateful if anybody else out there has already
invented this whell and could help me avoid a reinvention.

--
 - Rich Geiger
Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA 95134

In article <1990Oct25.024925.26023@ultra.com> rmg@ultra.com (Rich Geiger) writes:

>I also have a question about Unit Attention. This drive apparently
>provides the Unit Attention feature, and can *not* be configured to
>turn it off. From some of the notes that come with SF&I, it seems that
>this can cause problems for Mac Plus's with "old ROMs". Can anybody
>tell me whether there are indeed different versions of Mac Plus ROMS
>that affect whether Unit Attention is or is not a problem? If so, can
>you also tell me what version(s) of the ROMs include the fix?

Get the MacEnvy CDEV, and get it to report which ROM version you have. It
will report Lonely Hearts, Lonely Hearse, Lonely Heifer, or Loud Harmonica.
Loud Harmonica is the only ROM version which will boot drives with Unit
Attention.

If you aren't booting off the big drive, it shouldn't matter.
Tax the rich, and feed the poor -- until there are, rich no more.