[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Classics

dropkin@pro-angmar.UUCP (Joe Dropkin) (10/24/90)

NEWS!!!!!!
There's a major problem with the MacClassics for which Apple needed to be
notfied:
Since the fan for a Classic is at the bottom, that means that the logic board
is exposed to anything under it, right?  Yes... that means that if you place a
Classic on top of a ext HD (which has been tested and works on ALL other macs)
then the two hardware interfaces will interfere and the HD will be
inaccessabel, at least.
If you have any questions, plaese notify me at
pro-angmar!dropkin@alphalpha.com

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/24/90)

In article <2696.mac.hardware@pro-angmar> dropkin@pro-angmar.UUCP (Joe Dropkin) writes:
>NEWS!!!!!!
>There's a major problem with the MacClassics for which Apple needed to be
>notfied:
>Since the fan for a Classic is at the bottom, that means that the logic board
>is exposed to anything under it, right?  Yes... that means that if you place a
>Classic on top of a ext HD (which has been tested and works on ALL other macs)
>then the two hardware interfaces will interfere and the HD will be
>inaccessabel, at least.
>If you have any questions, plaese notify me at
>pro-angmar!dropkin@alphalpha.com

What?

Forgive my ignorance, but what does the fan on a Classic have to do with the
hardware interface between it and an external hard drive?

BTW, the fan on a Classic is in the back about halfway up, if I recall the
picture on the data sheet correctly.

chaz

--
"I Chopped My Grandmother To Death With a Machine Gun" -- Politician.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/25/90)

In article <2696.mac.hardware@pro-angmar> dropkin@pro-angmar.UUCP (Joe Dropkin) writes:
>NEWS!!!!!!
>There's a major problem with the MacClassics for which Apple needed to be
>notfied:
>Since the fan for a Classic is at the bottom, that means that the logic board
>is exposed to anything under it, right?  Yes... that means that if you place a
>Classic on top of a ext HD (which has been tested and works on ALL other macs)
>then the two hardware interfaces will interfere and the HD will be
>inaccessabel, at least.
>If you have any questions, plaese notify me at
>pro-angmar!dropkin@alphalpha.com

Where is your logic in this?

****    My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public   ****
Norton Chia		|	My address is
Micro Support		|		carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (10/26/90)

In article <2545@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson)
writes:
> >Since the fan for a Classic is at the bottom, that means that the logic
board
> >is exposed to anything under it, right?  Yes... that means that if you
place a
> >Classic on top of a ext HD (which has been tested and works on ALL
other macs)
> >then the two hardware interfaces will interfere

I think the original poster's referring to electromagnetic interference
between the two devices. If there's a hole in the bottom of the Mac,
there's no electromagnetic shielding between it and any disk drive it
might be sitting on. However, there is no hole in the bottom of the Mac;
the fan outlet is in the back, just like it is on the SE. There should be
no problem with any external hard disk.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard