[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 3 1/2 inch 1/3 height drives

wherry@alazif.cxo.dec.com (bradley g wherry) (10/22/90)

Both the Macintosh IIsi and the Macintosh LC use
3 1/2 inch 1/3 height drives.  Does this mean the quantum
prodrive series cannot be used as an internal drive on these
two systems?  (I believe the Quantum prodrives are 3 1/2 inch
1/2 height drives.)

thanks.

brad
--
brad wherry                |  Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam;
wherry@alazif.enet.dec.com |     e luce ad tenebras.

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (10/23/90)

In <1990Oct21.184224@alazif.cxo.dec.com>wherry@alazif.enet.dec.com writes:
>Both the Macintosh IIsi and the Macintosh LC use
>3 1/2 inch 1/3 height drives.  Does this mean the quantum
>prodrive series cannot be used as an internal drive on these
>two systems?  (I believe the Quantum prodrives are 3 1/2 inch
>1/2 height drives.)
>thanks.
>brad
	You figured it out, 3.5" is to big for both the LC and SI.
	Prodrives won't fit. New Third height drives do work...

Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.
Enterprise Systems Division             (I disclaim anything and everything)
UUCP: {3comvax,auspex,sun}!bridge2!ngg  Internet: ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (10/23/90)

In article <2897@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman
Goodger) writes:
> In <1990Oct21.184224@alazif.cxo.dec.com>wherry@alazif.enet.dec.com
writes:
> >Both the Macintosh IIsi and the Macintosh LC use
> >3 1/2 inch 1/3 height drives.  Does this mean the quantum
> >prodrive series cannot be used as an internal drive on these
> >two systems?  (I believe the Quantum prodrives are 3 1/2 inch
> >1/2 height drives.)
> >thanks.
> >brad
>         You figured it out, 3.5" is to big for both the LC and SI.
>         Prodrives won't fit. New Third height drives do work...

I am puzzled why Apple did that. Maybe on purpose, so that options for
enhancement are more
limited and users who want to make sure they can later use a much larger
drive will be more inclined to get a more expensive Mac to start with?
Indeed there seems to be a lot of wasted space under the Floppy drive. If
the plastic moulding were different, one could easily fit a second hard
disk, even a 1/2-height one, below the SuperDrive.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail:  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206

TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu (10/25/90)

>> >Both the Macintosh IIsi and the Macintosh LC use
>> >3 1/2 inch 1/3 height drives.  Does this mean the quantum
>> >prodrive series cannot be used as an internal drive on these
>> >two systems?  (I believe the Quantum prodrives are 3 1/2 inch
>> >1/2 height drives.)
>> >thanks.
>> >brad
>>         You figured it out, 3.5" is to big for both the LC and SI.
>>         Prodrives won't fit. New Third height drives do work...
>
> I am puzzled why Apple did that. Maybe on purpose, so that options for
> enhancement are more
> limited and users who want to make sure they can later use a much larger
> drive will be more inclined to get a more expensive Mac to start with?
> Indeed there seems to be a lot of wasted space under the Floppy drive. If
> the plastic moulding were different, one could easily fit a second hard
> disk, even a 1/2-height one, below the SuperDrive.
>
> Wolfgang N. Naegeli
> Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
> Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141
> QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
> Snail:  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206

Let's see, smaller HD -> smaller power supply, smaller case, in addition to
perhaps a cheaper HD all addup to a cheaper mfg. cost. Isn't that what the
LC & Si are all about?

Perhaps the biggest savings they got in the new machines is the smaller
mother board and chip count. The Classic is reported to have a 3"x5" mother
board or there abouts.

They will probably have an exclusivity advantage for awhile, but then thats
the profit of being the first to the market with a new product. That won't
last too long.

Tony Jacobs
Center for Engineering Design
University of Utah

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (10/25/90)

   At the rollout there was a clear case Mac IIsi... I was able to view the
location of the hard drive.  It looked as if a half height drive could fit
in with no problem, but I am not sure.  Maybe it simply requires a new
bracket.  Does anyone know for sure on this issue?  Or are we forced to
wait for 1/3 height drives?

   Right now I have a SE/30 and I'm looking to buy the IIsi... it wouldn't
be too fun if I have to wait for a 210+ MB 1/3 height drive to come out.
As it is, I have to choose between 5MB or 17MB of RAM... there's no
in-between on this one!

--
mark				mrx@dhw68k.cts.com

jdsb@egr.duke.edu (John D. S. Babcock) (10/26/90)

In article <100684@cc.utah.edu> TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes:
>>>         You figured it out, 3.5" is to big for both the LC and SI.
>>>         Prodrives won't fit. New Third height drives do work...
>Let's see, smaller HD -> smaller power supply, smaller case, in addition to
>perhaps a cheaper HD all addup to a cheaper mfg. cost. Isn't that what the
>LC & Si are all about?

Excuse me, but WHY doesn't a prodrive fit in a IIsi?  I just took my
Quantum 105MB Prodrive down to our store, and installed it into the
bracket supplied with the 40MB drive, plugged it in and booted.  It fit
fine.  It even booted fine until it realized my harddrive was 6.0.4.
My drive did work fine once I booted off a 6.0.7 system.
    So again...Why does it not work?  Is the power supply not strong
enough?
             Sterling
J. D. Sterling Babcock             Duke University Electrical Engineering
jdsb@dukee.egr.duke.edu
att!egr.duke.edu!jdsb

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct25.155702.22879@dhw68k.cts.com> mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) writes:

>   At the rollout there was a clear case Mac IIsi... I was able to view the
>location of the hard drive.  It looked as if a half height drive could fit
>in with no problem, but I am not sure.  Maybe it simply requires a new
>bracket.  Does anyone know for sure on this issue?  Or are we forced to
>wait for 1/3 height drives?

		I'm sick of reading this again and again!  There *IS* room
in the IIsi for a 1/2 height drive *PROVIDED* you do not intend to stick a
NuBus card in it as it stands!!  Please check next time you see inside the
si and picture a NuBus card on top of the 1/3 height drive.  I beg you... :)

>   Right now I have a SE/30 and I'm looking to buy the IIsi... it wouldn't
>be too fun if I have to wait for a 210+ MB 1/3 height drive to come out.
>As it is, I have to choose between 5MB or 17MB of RAM... there's no
>in-between on this one!
>
>		You can choose the 512K SIMMs or 2meg SIMMs to achieve either
a 3Mb of 9Mb system.  You had to ask, didn't you?  :)

****    My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public   ****
Norton Chia		|	My address is
Micro Support		|		carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au

twl@cs.brown.edu (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung) (10/26/90)

Actually, my question is, what are you going to do with that 40meg
disk if you're going to install something big inside the IIsi?

Ted
Internet/CSnet: twl@cs.brown.edu 	| Ted "Theodore" Leung
BITNET: twl@BROWNCS.BITNET		| Box 1910, Brown University
UUCP: uunet!brunix!twl			| Providence, RI 02912

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (10/27/90)

twl@cs.brown.edu (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung) writes:

>Actually, my question is, what are you going to do with that 40meg
>disk if you're going to install something big inside the IIsi?

  My plan was to sell it to a 1 floppy Classic owner...  How much does Apple
charge retail for the 40MB hard disk upgrade for the Classic??

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Jim Bolger - sleepwalking to victory

ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct25.155702.22879@dhw68k.cts.com> mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) writes:
>   At the rollout there was a clear case Mac IIsi... I was able to view the
>location of the hard drive.  It looked as if a half height drive could fit
>in with no problem, but I am not sure.  Maybe it simply requires a new
>bracket.  Does anyone know for sure on this issue?  Or are we forced to
>wait for 1/3 height drives?
>>
>--
>mark				mrx@dhw68k.cts.com

A 1/2 height drive can be made to fit, but think twice: Do you ever intend to
add a Nubus (or PDS?) card to your si?  It j-u-s-t clears a 1/3 height drive...

--
Ken Stamm (ken@slhisc.uucp, sun.com!gotham!slhisc!ken) (212)341-3868
Shearson Lehman Brothers, 390 Greenwich St. 4W, New York NY 10013