[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Memory upgrade for Mac Plus

masticol@lento.rutgers.edu (Steve Masticola) (10/13/90)

Does anyone have a reference (in one of the Mac magazines or books,
perhaps) on how to upgrade the memory of a Plus? I need to know both
the procedure and what type of SIMMs to buy.

Thanks,
- Steve (masticol@athos.rutgers.edu)

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (10/15/90)

In article <Oct.13.10.38.50.1990.6007@lento.rutgers.edu> masticol@lento.rutger
>Does anyone have a reference (in one of the Mac magazines or books,
>perhaps) on how to upgrade the memory of a Plus? I need to know both
>the procedure and what type of SIMMs to buy.

 I don't have a ref., but it's pretty easy.  Let's assume you have your
red devil putty knife out, and can open the case.  Let's further assume you
know basically how the sims pop in and out. Then we'll assume you are willing
to risk (and careful enough not to) cracking your motherboard doing this
without experience.  It also is possible to break a sims socket, but ....
  You should find 2 rows of 2 sims. You'll almost certainly find 4 sims
that are 256K sims. (adding up to 1 MB).  Now you'll need 1 MB sims in
even quantities (either 2 or 4).   2 will give you 2 MB, then you can use
2 of the leftover 256K's to get 2.5 Mb total.  If you replace all 4 with
1 MB sims, you'll have 4 MB.  If you choose NOT to use 4 1 MB sims, you
must put the highest density sims in the lowest numbered sockets. This is
identified as the sockets clostest to the main cpu in almost all applications.
If there's a doubt, you can try pulling 2 sims, the turn the machine on, if it
tries to or basically boots, then you have found the HI number sockets, if
you get a beep & or a memory error icon/ sad mac, you've found the low
sockets.  Hope this helps.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

ogil@quads.uchicago.edu (Brian W. Ogilvie) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct14.171754.5378@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>In article <Oct.13.10.38.50.1990.6007@lento.rutgers.edu> masticol@lento.rutger
>>Does anyone have a reference (in one of the Mac magazines or books,
>>perhaps) on how to upgrade the memory of a Plus? I need to know both
>>the procedure and what type of SIMMs to buy.
>
> I don't have a ref., but it's pretty easy. [...]

Mr. Michielsen left out one important point in his description of how to
upgrade the RAM in a Mac Plus. There is a resistor somewhere on the
motherboard (if the SIMM sockets are on the bottom, relative to you, it's
in the upper left part, I think) labeled "256 KB" which you must cut if
you want to upgrade the memory. Otherwise BAD THINGS (TM) will happen.
The details of installing SIMMs in all current Apple computers which use
them are given in Tech Note #176, "Installing SIMMs."

I used to forget to cut this resistor about one in four times when I
upgraded Mac Pluses. The result, when there are four 1 Mb SIMMS in the
Mac, is that it thinks there are only two. Not as neat as what
happens if you install 2 256 Kb and 2 1 Mb SIMMS in the wrong banks,
but sort of interesting, especially if a customer is watching you do
this to his machine (now wait just a minute, nothing to panic about...)

--
Brian W. Ogilvie           "Find a need and fool it!"
ogil@midway.uchicago.edu              --Zippy the Pinhead

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (10/19/90)

In article <Oct.13.10.38.50.1990.6007@lento.rutgers.edu> masticol@lento.rutgers.edu (Steve Masticola) writes:

>Does anyone have a reference (in one of the Mac magazines or books,
>perhaps) on how to upgrade the memory of a Plus? I need to know both
>the procedure and what type of SIMMs to buy.
>
>Thanks,
>- Steve (masticol@athos.rutgers.edu)

I buy 100ns by 8 (or faster) from the chip merchant in San Diego, the plus
does not use the parity (9th) bit so *8s should be ok. (tel: 619-268-4774)

here's an old posting of mine, reposted in case there are others interested
 - the only addition I've been advised to put in is a warning to BEWARE
   OF THE TUBE...try not to break it or to accidentally force a screwdriver
   into the rubber protection while earthed (boy - some accident :-()

1) buy an earth strap (folklore but who dares go against that!!),
           a long handled allen-key of the type that will fit into the
           "star" screws on the mac (apple will sell you a "star" key for
           about $50 - the allen key can be bought for about $5) and a
           case cracker (the case cracker can be done without if you dare
           to face the mac on its screen and shake it as you pull up on
           the case with ALL 5 (yes 5) screws undone (2 screws under the handle,
           2 in plain sight and 1 UNDER the battery flap (crafty apple)).
2) undo screws
3) pry off programmer buttons (they will crease the mother-board
   protector paper).
4) pull case from rear of machine with screen face down (case cracker
   comes in useful here) the plastic/foil mother board protector may fall off
   at this point - take it off anyway and save for reassembly.
5) mother board is the board nearest the base of the machine. Pull off 2
   cables attached to mother board (1 = floppy 2 = power - note which way
   they should go back on (no harm in being careful))
6) carefully slide out mother board towards the rear of the machine (NOTE
   if you have an accelerator board you won't want to slide this board anywhere
   since it will probably scrape off the add-on board (not much clearance)).
7) with the board chips up and the external plugs nearest you (rear of the
   board), the simms are far away from you mounted at an angle to the
   horizontal with side-catch fasteners. Remove the 2 simms nearest you
   (the 2 nearest the center of the board)
8) replace these with new simms (chip side up, board notch same as all
   the other simms).
9) locate and remove the resistor jumper marked 256kbit which will be towards
   the right side of the board if the previous orientation (back towards you)
   is maintained. The jumper is about 1/4 of the board length away from you.
10)All done - slide mother board back in, replace plastic/foil protector,
   connect 2 leads, slide case back on (careful - no force is necessary here
   if it seems to stick then find out why and correct), replace screws (you
   should still have 5!!), replace programmer switch and power-up.

NOTES:
1) do not be alarmed if 10-15 secs go by before the grey screen becomes
   the smiley face - testing 2.5Mbytes take a while
2) simms must be fitted in like pairs - start with 4*256k = 1M, upgrade to
   2*1M + 2*256k = 2.5M or 4*1M ( = 4M). I don't believe any other combinations
   are legal.
3) replacing memory is fun - it'll take 10 mins or less when you've had some
   practise.
4) if the smiley face is bordered by a black screen then you forgot to remove
   the resistor jumper (or snipped the wrong one - woops). (the former should
   not cause any damage, the latter is anyone's guess).
5) I replaced my memory while wearing an earth strap I suggest you do the same
   just in case the folklore is soundly based.

DISCLAIMER - (guess what comes here). Sorry if I got it wrong guys - I don't
believe I did - I've done it a load of times now with no problems but I won't
be responsible for problems due to following these instructions which are
given in good faith etc etc.

soudan@iitmax.IIT.EDU (Bassel Soudan) (10/23/90)

In article <Oct.13.10.38.50.1990.6007@lento.rutgers.edu> you write:

>Does anyone have a reference (in one of the Mac magazines or books,
>perhaps) on how to upgrade the memory of a Plus? I need to know both
>the procedure and what type of SIMMs to buy.
>
>Thanks,
>- Steve (masticol@athos.rutgers.edu)

	I just upgraded two Se's and three Plusses. All I needed was exactly
five things:

1-	The SIMMS (100nSec for the plus is fine)
2-	A tourque screw driver (you better buy one from a dealer or a mail
	order place, they run less than $10.)
3-	A pair of wire cutters.
4-	An anti-static wrist band (mail order again.) VERY IMPORTANT.
5-	A copy of MacWorld from the middle of 1988 (May or June I think).

In that issue of MacWorld there is a step by step procedure for upgrading.
Actually the first time I went through it I just followed the pictures that
were posted next to each of the steps. I highly recommend reading the procedure
once ahead of time though.

Bassel
(sorry no sig)
(#include <StandardDisclaimer.h>)

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (10/24/90)

In article <4423@iitmax.IIT.EDU> soudan@iitmax.IIT.EDU (Bassel Soudan)
writes:
> 2-      A tourque screw driver (you better buy one from a dealer or a
mail
>         order place, they run less than $10.)

A minor correction: That' *Torx* (a trademark, or something) screwdriver.
It's got a six-pointed head for weird screws invented by GM, I think, to
keep people out places they didn't want them. Anyway, you can get them at
any auto parts store. There are at least two head sizes, T-10 and T-15. I
think the Mac uses the T-10. One other thing: be sure that the
screwdriver's shaft is *at least* 8 inches long, so that you can reach the
recessed screws in the Mac's handle.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (10/25/90)

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
> A minor correction: That' *Torx* (a trademark, or something) screwdriver.
> It's got a six-pointed head for weird screws invented by GM, I think, to
> keep people out places they didn't want them.

	They weren't invented to keep people out of places, but because
they are very good for power-driven screwdrivers.  You can transmit a lot
more torque (hence the name) with a Torx than with a flat slot or even a
phillips, but they self-seat a lot better than plain hex heads.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

davisson@milton.u.washington.edu (Gordon Davisson) (10/27/90)

In article <4232@lib.tmc.edu> drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez)
discusses the Torx screws that hold compact Macs together:
>I think the Mac uses the T-10. One other thing: be sure that the
>screwdriver's shaft is *at least* 8 inches long, so that you can reach the
>recessed screws in the Mac's handle.

Actually, they're T-15's.  (Though they did use antitamper variant T-10's
to hold peripheral cables on in the security kit -- the screws have a pin
in the center, so a normal driver won't fit.  But I digress.)

--
Gordon Davisson
Westwind Computing	(206) 632-8141